“An Oasis of loveliness” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

You added Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Esmeralda, Crta Guardalavaca, Holguin 007, Cuba   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Holguin
Chichester, England, United Kingdom
“An Oasis of loveliness”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed here at the end of an exhausting tour of Cuba. We were tired and really looking forward to a relaxing stay. It was just the ticket! Large, clean, great position for just lounging around and enjoying yourself. Loved the pool bar but more than anything, absolutely adored the Spa. It's a must! We stayed for the whole day which is free and had two treatments one of which was the best facial we have ever had. The Spa has its own little beach which is just perfect and on our last morning we caught some rays and had a swim and we could hardly bear to leave. Ronaldo who had looked after us on the massage day came out to say goodbye. Wonderful service. Everyone was smiley and friendly here and in the whole hotel. We had stayed at 4 different hotels before this one and it's only fair to say that they could all learn a great deal from the Paradiso on how to treat your customers and ensure they want to return and recommend your hotel!

Room Tip: Not sure if the Royal service is necessary as the rooms and service in the regular side is so good!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
paradisusri0de0r0, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Dizzydeels,
Thank you very much for letting all know about the fabulous time you had in Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa!
We will be looking forward to welcome you here again for more free stress holidays in our haven of peace.
Lorenzo Rubio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (879)
  • Polish first
Bexley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from our second visit to Paradisus, as before we were not disappointed. Many of the staff remembered us even though our last visit was 2 years ago. All the staff are amazing, but a special thank you to the Lobby bar staff - William, Ramondo, Manuel, Alein and the rest of the team. Also George and Luis Manuel down at the pool bar. You all helped to make the holiday one of our best.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Christine M,
Thank you very much for having given us the pleasure of helping make your stay so amazing again. All our staff and I will be looking forward to seeing you soon for the 3rd time!
With warm regards,
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

My husband and I have been vacationing at Paradisus Rio de Oro for over 12 years and eagerly look forward to our yearly visits with great anticipation!

From the very beginning, the PRDO staff has made our stays nothing short of spectacular. The warmth, dedication, friendliness, and attention to detail that each and every individual has shown us has made this destination more than a resort - more than a place to vacation - the staff at PRDO has made this paradise our second home.

When we started vacationing with our three girls, the villas were a great choice for us, and everything we experienced exceeded our expectations; the rooms were always clean and cool, well decorated, and always fully stocked with drinks and goodies!

The food at PRDO has always been exceptional - from the main buffet with their diverse and enormous variety of food, to their beach and pool restaurants, to their first class a la carte dining facilities.

Over the years we have made many good friends at PRDO, both with staff members and other vacationers, and have also brought many of our own family and friends to share in this incredible experience. Our daughters have also chosen PRDO over other resorts on multiple occasions when vacationing alone with their friends.

In recent years, we have had the pleasure to stay at the Royal Service at PRDO. Since its opening, we have found its personnel to be extremely dedicated, caring, friendly, and unparalleled in their professionalism. They always go over and above - they always go the extra mile - in everything they do, to ensure that guests enjoy their stay.

Norma, members of the concierge, butlers, bartenders, and all the other staff at the Royal Service, and Paradisus Rio de Oro, deserve our utmost respect and gratitude.

Gracias nuevamente por todo vuestro trabajo y dedicacion al cliente.

Que siga el éxito!

Hasta la próxima ves,

Azucena y James

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
paradisusri0de0r0, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 22, 2014
Old review
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

This was our first trip to Cuba so I don't have much to compare it to, but this resort was the closest I've been to Paradise. The food was great, the room was very nice, the beach was outstanding. The staff were so friendly and willing to help with any and every request. We had no complaints about the weather this time of year, we had half a day of rain but otherwise it was perfect, and it seemed like a good time to go since the resort was not very busy and we were also escaping the winter weather back home. All in all a great trip and I would highly recommend it for anyone wanting to get away and reward themselves with some relaxation!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
paradisusri0de0r0, Director General at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Emily L,
It has been a pleasure to have you at Paradisus Rio de Oro for the 1st time, which I hope is just the 1st of many more holidays with us!
Receive warmest regards from all our staff and I.
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Having read the reviews here before we left for Cuba, I was really excited about staying at this hotel because most of the reviews are excellent. We have been lucky enough to stay in many 5 star resorts and hotels around the world but this hotel just isn't 5 star quality. However, that said in comparison to other hotels we saw in the locality I can completely understand why the hotel has this rating.

We stayed in a junior deluxe suite that was disappointing and in need of refurbishment - the bathroom was old and the decor tired some of the floor tiles were chipped, the doors on the sliding wardrobe were broken, the coffee machine didn't work, the blackout blinds on the window were falling off the curtain rail. We asked at reception if we could move but they said that we couldn't.

The paths outside in the resort were very badly lit and in some areas the paths were badly broken. I would have been so disappointed if I were getting married here as the "wedding gazebo" has rotten wood on the floor which has been badly painted over. There are two hammocks hanging over another gazebo into the sea that have rotted from the salt water and yet they remain creating an eyesore.

The pool is run down at best, it needs to be painted or tiled, it's also highly chlorinated but I suspect that's to counter the fools drinking at the swim up bar who are so drunk during the day that when they drop their drinks into the pool it doesn't matter.

The food in the buffet at breakfast is fine if hygiene isn't your thing - despite netting over the pastries birds still fly onto the counters and pick at the pastries, and when we complained about a cockroach, we were told that a man was coming to remove it - he arrived 5 minutes later but our appetitie had somewhat diminished!!!

There are a variety of restaurants at the resort which have been mentioned in other reviews, some are better than others, we liked the Japanese restaurant best.

All that said, there are four redeeming features to this hotel:

The Staff - Everyone was lovely.
The Spa - Tamera the Spa Advisor is excellent and the Spa itself is fantastic with very knowledgeable therapists.
Royal Service - Make every part of the hotel like this and it will be a five star hotel.
The Beach - The location is fantastic although the beach needs more bins for plastic cups that litter the area.

The demographic of the hotel are 50+ mainly UK and Canadian who are used to package holidays, this hotel is not for the independant traveller with more discerning tastes.

I'm glad I visited Cuba, it's an interesting country with lot of history, I'd go back but not to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
paradisusri0de0r0, Director General at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Jamirogr,

Thank you very much for posting your review in TripAdvisor, and for your comments. We are aware of the mentioned aspects and have plans for each, as well as we are looking into the other details with our involved departments. The hammocks under the glass floor palapa have been changed to new ones. The bathrooms of the rooms have started to have total renovation, commencing by the Junior Suites, the pool will have total renovation next year...
Again, we thank you for your time to let us know your feedback, and we truly wish to have you back and enjoy all we have to offer.

Harwich, Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Visited for the 3rd time for my 40th birthday with my husband, my sister and brother in law. 31/10/13 - 14/11/13

Room 3918- excellent bright room and balcony much preferred this side of the resort and reasonably central to the pool and lobby.

I will agree and Yes as previously submitted by other guests, some parts of the hotel are becoming a little tired looking but hey look at where you are and how long it may take them to get equipment to do these things... So the pool paint is flaking, so what.. The water in it is clean, does it stop you swimming... no, therefore it functions as a swimming pool and a lovely sized one at that.
The bathrooms are also a bit tired but it all functions and is always clean... How much time do you spend in the bathroom to worry about a chipped tile really?
The air con had problems but was efficiently repaired when reported.

Unfortunately we happened to be at the hotel and witnessed very bad behaviour from a French Canadian guy whom I think was travelling alone as we never saw him with anyone. He was generally drunk by lunchtime and actually saw him verbally abusing Luis Manual at the pool bar, Luis handled it well and very professionally. I've never seen trouble here and staff said neither had they in 15 years, this guest acted in a disgraceful manner and I hope he has been black listed at the hotel.
The following evening on my birthday we were in the disco with others we had met when the lights came on and it was time to go, this guy was in the disco too and decided it was our turn to be his victims and started to try and fight with us... Shows how drunk he was as there were 8 of us he was trying to pick on! He was ushered into a buggy by Onsario the DJ and sent back to RS where he was staying. He left the next day thank goodness!

Only a la carte restaurants we tried were the Japanese and El Patio this time from experience as these are our favourites and again the food was super fantastic!!

The one thing I wasn't overly impressed with though was the food we chose at royal service. There were 4 of us dining, all choosing different and 3 out of the 4 main meals were so very salty that 2 were not eaten which was disappointing as was expecting it to be amazing.
On the other hand the starters were delicious, the service was excellent and it was my birthday and was produced with a cake along with singing and a band playing Happy Birthday very lovely touch.

Now for the name dropping please excuse spellings..
Luis Manuel and George at the pool bar made our holiday, we spent a lot of time at the pool with them. Luis even remembered our names and that was after not seeing them for 6 years! Great guys, great fun, polite and very generous with twisting your arm to have "one for the road"
Others that worked there at the pool as well as the disco and reception were Alien, Luis, Yudith and Maylin all lovely people and a credit to the hotel.
Manuel, Yander, Ramundo and all other staff in the Lobby bar were equally as good at their jobs but unfortunately can't remember all the names.

Alien with his little trolley selling cigars and branded drinks, know him from a previous visit, great guy.

Pool snack bar all the staff are wonderful but I have to mention the beautiful Neysi and Norge

Carlos- this man is so lovely a huge bonus to the hotel.

Esdeluis- (I think this is her name) our Chambermaid, lovely lovely lady, speaks very good English, made me feel so special on my birthday, made me towel arrangements all over the room with petals and love hearts and flowers, she ran a bath with floating petals.. Was so sweet of her and very much apreciated. She was great at her job, never failed to leave our room immaculate.

The animation team are much quieter now, all lovely people just not what I remember. I used to like them mingling with guests, encouraging us to join in with activities and having fun but their day seems so very structured now that unless you are taking part in daily things, they don't really try and get to know you. But I remember them from when children were allowed at the hotel and although I loved the fact that there were no kids, it didn't have the same fun vibe as when they were allowed.

I didn't manage to get the gardeners name who works down by block 39, younger guy, very pleasant, always smiling and picked me flowers on my birthday. Works so hard and without the gardeners the hotel wouldn't be as beautiful as it is, credit goes out to them all. It was also lovely to see the older gardener Juan Angel 'Billy' he saw me and came and shook my hand, it's amazing to think after 6 years and so many new faces, he remembered me.

I'd also like to add that the general manager made a good impression too, we saw him around the hotel and greeting people at breakfast. There is a great rapor between him and the staff and those we asked said he was a very good manager, he seems well liked which is nice.

If you're thinking about booking, you have no worries, it's the very best in this part of Cuba, nothing even comes close to this beautiful hotel.

Please feel free to ask any questions,

Dear Chez-t,
I appreciate very much your review in TripAdvisor. We were very glad to have you back after 6 years!! this time for your birthday, and we are so happy we could help on making the experience so memorable!
I have already checked about the food with our Chefs, our sincere apologies please.
Receive warmest regards from all our staff, me included. We look forward to receive news as you start making plans to come back, do not wait that much again please! We will be waiting for you soon at Paradisus Rio de Oro!
Kind regards,
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Much the same as everybody else we had a great time. The resort was beautiful but the staff made it incredible. We just got home from a week on the royal service side. As another person stated check out both parts of the resort. We were happy with the royal service and got value for the money spent. A thank you goes to our butler Hector, pool bartender John and the waitress Yolandys. Some bullet points from our experiences;

-The resort staff want to spoil you, let them. The Cuban people are warm and friendly and enjoy seeing you having a great time.
-We decided to tip instead of gifts. The converted CUC $ for tourists cost us close to par less the exchange fee (resort charges 3%, bank slightly less but the resort is always "open"). The rough equivalent is a days wages equals 1 CUC however they still pay for things at the high end if they can find it. The staff did not ask once for anything but it was well received and they were genuinely grateful.
-tipped 1-3 per meal, 5-10 for bartender 10 to maid and more to the butler for the week. Total $120 for week.
-on country excursion (Jeep trip with boating and horseback ridding, lunch $79 CUC per person for day) noted the country side is very poor. Gifts for children such as small doll, toys or candies were loved. Heard that items for 7-11 year old hard for Cubans to get.
-sun is hot. Lots of lotion, sun screen and hat a must. Also this resort requires long pants and closed toe shoes for men for dinner. Resort supplies lots of towels.
-amenities may not be what you are used to. The royal service side which is only 5-6 years old is much like home and very clean.
-Food very good but slight adjustment in your expectations such as lettuce type salads required but fruit, meats, breads and pastas all good.
-Royal service received discount at spa. Treated my wife and I to couples massage and was very pleased with the hour of service looking out over ocean.
We would recommend this resort to anyone. We met people on return visits, some for as long as 3 week stays this time. We plan to return someday.

Room Tip: Royal Service choose second floor for view and quiet. 9000 series had good location
Dear Shawn R,
We thank you very much for taking the time to post your review in TripAdvisor and feel glad you have enjoyed your stay in our Royal Service!
We truly hope you visit us again soon, all our staff and I will be waiting for you!
Lorenzo Rubio
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Coral Sands Hotel
Coral Sands Hotel
#5 of 10 in Harbour Island
4.0 of 5 stars 338 reviews

Been to Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!