“Didn’t want to leave! Beautiful resort, wonderful food and service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holguin
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
You added Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Esmeralda, Crta Guardalavaca, Holguin 007, Cuba   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Holguin
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Didn’t want to leave! Beautiful resort, wonderful food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

We just got back from our honeymoon at the Paradisus. We couldn’t have asked for a better week. The hotel grounds are beautiful and huge. It’s mostly couples that stay here. Mainly the crowd was older like in their 50s but there was a number of young couples too so a decent mix. We are in our 30s and didn’t feel out of place due to the older crowd. But this is definitely a relaxing and romantic type of resort as opposed to a party one. Because it was our honeymoon we felt they really made an effort to give us preferential treatment when they could. At the beginning of our stay we were called by Iradia (sorry spelling) at guest services and she asked for us to visit her where she wanted to make sure we were enjoying ourselves and assured us that she was there for any questions that we had or if there was anything that we needed. We had a junior suite room which was very large. I emailed a couple of weeks beforehand and requested a upper level corner room with king size bed and that’s exactly what we got. We were in building 35 which is in between the pool and lobby which was very convenient. The room and bathroom were large. I had read complaints about the bathrooms being outdated. I found them to be fine. Sure they could use with a reno but I didn’t spend much time there. There is a sewage smell that comes from the toilet though. I don’t think this is the hotel’s fault as I smelt the same smell coming from public toilets too. I think it’s just Cuba plumbing. It wouldn’t hurt to bring an air freshener to leave by toilet. Room was cleaned very nicely every day. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful to walk around particularly there is a garden path to Royal Service and there is a nice walkway along the water towards the gazebo. Definitely take a walk around the whole property and explore. The gardeners do an amazing job.

The beach is beautiful and we spent most of our time there. Staff will bring beach chairs to wherever you want to sit. The beach never felt too crowded which is great. My husband spent most of the time snorkeling while I just sat and happily sunbathed. There is unfortunately an egg smell sometimes on the beach though. We assumed it was the algae that was growing on the rocks nearby. Most of the beach shore is rocky but there are some pathways without rocks that you can go through to get into the water. There was only one morning where there was a red flag. Though generally during our stay there were some waves that made the water a bit rough. During that time I would just walk up to the pool to cool down. They have floatation pads for the pool that were nice to lay on. We only sat by the pool once as we preferred the beach but whenever we passed by we found a lot of seats were taken. We went to check out the Royal Service beach once but it felt really crowded as it’s small. I think we just went on a busy day as we took a walk there on our last day and it was much quieter. Overall we preferred the main beach.

The food is fantastic at the resort. We were warned about food in Cuba before we went and felt that those complaints were coming from people that just went to bad resorts as the food at the Paradisus was great. I was stuffed the whole time I was there and only wished I had a bigger appetite so I could indulge more! We practically ate lobster every day. Though overall we found the lobster overcooked which is a shame but it was still tasty. The buffet is the only option for breakfast. We mainly had crepes, pancakes, donuts, ham and fruit. But there is a ton of selection. The coffee service is a bit slow though. For lunch and dinner there are many dining options. So many in fact that during our week we only ate at the buffet for lunch once and never for dinner. The one lunch we had there had tons of selection and was very good. The beach restaurant atmosphere is lovely but we found the calamari just okay and fried fish overly battered but we enjoyed all the side dishes and service. The pool snack bar has amazing pizzas. I can’t believe I would say that the best pizza I ever had was in Cuba! I would order a side of fries with my pizza as well. Really nice tables by the back overlooking a beautiful view. Nice service and wine too. A couple of times a week we noticed they served a small casual lunch by the beach. We had lunch there once where they served paella and sangria. It was nice to not have to leave the beach area for a bite to eat. Though it was mainly self service there for food and drinks. We prebooked our a la cartes with Pablo by email. I was very impressed with his promptness. We tried all the a la cartes and they were fantastic. All had a different vibe. We loved that when you order wine they leave you the whole bottle. Service was excellent at all of them. The only one we didn’t like as much was the Mediterranean restaurant. We found the service and atmosphere quite formal and stuffy. As well it was really bright in there and our table was very close to another couple. Not very romantic. I felt slightly like I was in an old folks home. If they dimmed the lights a bit and put candles on the tables it would make such a big difference. For the Japanese restaurant you need to specifically request a show table if you want the full experience. Because it was our honeymoon we were invited to a special returning guests/honeymooners dinner by the beach. It was a wonderful evening with live music and great service. When we arrived for the welcome drink that evening Eduardo the hotel manager warmly greeted us with a glass of champagne. He was truly interested in how our stay was and asked if anything should be improved. I appreciated that he did not shy away from criticism and felt that he genuinely wanted to make sure we were enjoying our stay and wanted to address immediately any issues we had. We also had dinner at the Royal Service restaurant for $24/person. It was a nice dinner and the food quality was slightly better. Though I would say if you don’t want to shell out the extra you would have a wonderful experience at the other a la cartes as well.

We loved evenings in the lobby bar. The main hall is filled with comfy sofas where we would have drinks and watch the entertainment. We found the main shows were amateurish but we enjoyed the musicians during the pre show. One evening in particularly there were female opera singers who were amazing. The lobby was always busy in the evenings so a great vibe. Bar and table service were prompt and friendly. I felt that a couple of bartenders expected tips but overall everyone was great and were very gracious when tipped. When we had dinner in the Royal Service restaurant their lobby was so quiet with only a few people watching a pianist. We much preferred the main lobby. For those considering upgrading to Royal Service it’s quite secluded and quiet, and a good walk from the main areas. We found we weren’t missing anything from staying in a junior suite.

I highly recommend getting a treatment at the spa. We received a discount because it was our honeymoon which was nice. We did a couples massage and it was one of the best massages I ever had. The treatment room was a private hut with deck overlooking the ocean. We wished that could’ve been our room! The rest of the spa area is very nice as well. The salt water pool is wonderful. As well they have an outdoor shower there which was amazing to use. The only negatives was that after the treatment the therapists that were waiting outside the hut looked at us eagerly for tips. When we didn’t tip them immediately they looked extremely disappointed. Of course I was going to tip them but I didn’t have money in my robe that minute and normally I tip when I checkout. I just thought it was awkward. Immediately after I changed a few minutes later I went to find our therapists and personally handed them a tip and they seemed very grateful. As well the toilet stall I was in didn’t have a lock. And when I went to wash my hands there was only one small handtowel hanging. I didn’t want to wipe my hands on at the same towel other people did. But all this were just little things. Our experience at the spa was wonderful.

The only other negatives we had at the resort was checkin. Our flight with Sunwing was a few hours delayed and we didn’t end up at the resort until around 2am. Over a dozen couples were checking in at the same time and only one person was working at reception. Annoying after a flight delay to wait even longer in the middle of the night. I would think there would be a contingency system when this happens for reception staff. As well with our honeymoon package it said we would get a private checkin which didn’t happen. We didn’t need a private checkin but an additional reception person would have been good to hurry things along. As well I read about other guests getting a drink at checkin. I didn’t expect anybody to serve me at that time but there was a couple of unopened champagne bottles and glasses by reception. It would’ve been nice to help myself have a glass after the long trip if they were opened for us. When we finally checked in we had to wait for a staff member driving a golf cart to bring us to the room. Again there was only one person driving the cart and he could only take 2 couples at a time so we had to wait again. We considered walking to our room but we had no clue where we were going in the middle of the night and didn’t want be wandering all around the resort so decided to wait. The reception lady and driver were both very nice though. The driver brought our luggage to our room and showed us where everything was and how to work the AC. By this time it was 3am and I was starving and decided this was a good time to use the 24 hour room service. Again with our honeymoon package it said we would get a bottle of champagne and fruit on arrival in the room. Nothing was there. So I called room service to order a fruit plate. I waited half an hour and no one showed up. I called them back and they said it would come in 5 minutes. I waited another half hour. By this time it was past 4am and just wanted to crash whether I hungry or not. I put the do not disturb sign on our door so if they did show up they would realize I gave up and went to sleep. At 4:45am we were woken by knocking on our door. It took me a while to put on my clothes but when I went to the door whoever knocked had left and didn’t leave us any food. Anyways we were tired and probably more annoyed with all this then we should be and understand that they operate with a skeleton staff at those hours. The rest of the week completely made up for our checkin experience. As well on our check out day our shuttle wasn’t picking us up till 6pm. The normal checkout time is noon but they allowed us to check out at 6pm which was fantastic that we were able to keep the room for the whole day. The only other thing was the honeymoon package included daily turn down service which only happened twice during our stay. I didn’t mention this to the manager when he asked as we didn’t need the extra honeymoon services but I just think if certain things even if small are advertised they should happen.

We rented a scooter one day to go to Guardalavaca. Definitely do this. It was super fun and a highlight of our trip. It was $15 for 2 hours and you can rent one right in front of the hotel. For other excursions we did the Sun Cruise where we swam with the dolphins. A little pricey at $129/person. Even though the weather was mainly cloudy all the day the staff on the catamaran were great and upbeat and the dolphin swim was definitely an experience I’ll never had again. We were served a lobster lunch which was delicious.

We also did the Holguin City Tour. The cigar factory tour was the best part of the trip. As well the lunch at a chicken farm was very nice too with good food. Though we went to the Hill of the Cross and were followed around by beggars and vendors. Same thing happened when we went to downtown Holguin. Being aggressively followed didn’t make us feel too safe. As well on excursions we were constantly asked for tips for everything. I absolutely think people should be tipped for a service but it was getting a bit ridiculous. This was my first time in Cuba though I’ve travelled all around the world and to poor countries as well and have never been so blatantly asked to tip then when I went on excursions then here. It’s really unfortunate that the tourism culture here has evolved to where people expect tips for everything. We didn’t experience this at the hotel just whenever we left the property. As well on the excursion we were forced to watch a live band at a bar that wasn’t listed on the itinerary and I felt like it was a bit of a cash grab as they asked for tips after and the bar ripped us off on drinks. I ordered a beer and coke and was told it was 3.50 pesos but then I saw another group order a beer and 2 cokes from the same server and they only paid 3 pesos. Not nice but oh well. The band was good but it felt like I was forced into a a step aerobics class that I didn’t sign up for. The band was pretty aggressive and tried to force everyone to get up and do these aerobic moves that clearly half the crowd was not into.

Besides some events outside the resort that we weren’t happy with the resort itself was amazing and as I write this I really miss it. I definitely recommend the Paradisus and am convinced it’s probably one of the best resorts in Cuba.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
ParadisusRioDeOro, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking part of your valuable time in sharing with us such a long and detailed report.

We always learn from our guests, and in this case you have mentioned to us some very valid points where we have to work in order to improve our service. On these subjects, please do accept my personal apology for the incidents that did not match our promises of good and prompt service.

I am glad to read that you miss our hotel and that overall you had a very nice holidays and that you would recommend us.

Thank you very much for having chosen us I hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again and to show you that your comments were taking with the seriousness that are required.

Warm regards from Paradisus Río de Oro,

Eduardo Perera Castro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (847)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

I have been to this beautiful resort many times and am always happy to return to see our Paradisus family! Lovely beach, lovely people, amazing food - you can't beat the fresh seafood!! We'll be back!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

It is very little I can say to someone that have stayed already 10 times at our resort but just a BIG BIG BIG thank you for your trust and your loyalty.

All the Paradisus Río de Oro team are waiting already to have the possibility to host you again for the 11th time.

Warm regards from the sunny Cuba,

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Paradisus and were very impressed with this hotel. We travel widely across the world, from basic to 5 star and we would recommend this hotel to all our friends and family. I've stayed at other Cuba hotels and they are not a patch on this one at all. The staff were amazingly welcoming and couldn't be more helpful. The 4 a la carte restaurants were great, Japanese was fantastic entertainment as food is cooked by chef at your table. El Patio was superb food and wine, The Cuban restaurant was really tasty food. The Mediterranean was ok but a bit stuffy atmosphere strangely. As we were on honeymoon we were met with cool towels, champagne and canapes at check in and were upgrated to one of the bungalow-type rooms with outdoor shower, hammock overlooking the gardens - really beautiful. Even though the hotel was full it didn't feel crowded. I would recommend a day at the Spa where the salt water pool and beach is just for Spa customers for the whole day with all the usual water treatments - costs 50 pesos each but Honeymooners get a discount. Gym was good equipment too and air conditioned. We're not beach lovers but it was beautiful with great snokelling right off the beach. The food on offer at the Buffet varies, as do all buffets - it's their nature if food is kept warm for a few hours it's never going to be as good as the a la cartes but you only have 3 nights per week at the buffet anyway. We always found something nice to eat. The pool restaurant, Laguna serviced great fresh thin crust pizza and burger and chips to order.
The rooms were lovely, the bath/shower area may look a little tired but it's very clean. We tipped the staff each day, just 1 peso a time and this not only helps the staff but your next drink at the bar is waiting for you the moment you finish your first!!
Some people may try to compare this 5-star hotel to other 5-star hotels in say Mauritius but you can't, this is Cuba after all. AND the price is less than half the cost of a similar deal for Mauritius so it truely is value for money. We'd recommend the Swimming with Dolphins excursion, very well run and great experience that we will do again too.

We will be returning for our 1st anniversary next January and taking friends with us too!

Room Tip: Bungalows are so quiet and the ones overlooking the garden are truely peaceful with own hammock and...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

I totally agree with you that at the end of the day is all about value for money what it is all about.

I am glad to read that you were very impress with our hotel and that you would recommend us to family and friends.

I am taking note of your comments about the Mediterranean restaurants and I will check with our team how to change that perception you had during your dinner there.

Thank you very much for taking part of your valuable time in sharing your experience at Paradisus Río de Oro with us and I hope we will have the opportunity to host you at our resort very soon again.

Street, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Stayed here for our Honeymoon.
Service was excellent with very friendly and atentive staff.
The food was excellent and really enjoyed the tapenyaki tables in the Japanese Resturant.
Rooms were very large and extreamly clean. Beach was lovely, especially watching the sunset. Pool was large and had plenty of room and sunbeds.
if you do not upgrade to the Royal Service, be sure to ask as they will show you the rooms and pools. they are amazing and worth the money. would definatly recomend and would happily return.

Room Tip: Ask for an first floor corner room. you get another window and a larger balconay
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for all your nice comments and for recommending our hotel.

It is always nice to see that some of our guest decide already to return to our hotel after the first visit.

Please let us know in advance before your next arrival in order to be able to provide some of the add values we do provide to all of our returning guests.

Thank you very much for taking part of your valuable time in sharing your experience at Paradisus Río de Oro with us and I hope we will have the opportunity to host you again at our resort very soon.

Warm regards,

Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed here Jan 30 to Feb 6 and will say that the overall complex is beautiful with a very nice beach (rocky entry), nice pool area and very friendly staff, mostly. However, the food was terrible and, over a week's time, that becomes important. Poor quality meat that was cooked to order if you wanted it (at the buffet restaurant) but you had to like your food just fried on a grill. No recipe, no ingredients just heated meat. Lots of pre-prepared foods but few that were interesting. Baby eels? Yuk! They could not even grill an egg right for breakfast and their bacon was still partly raw.. A pasta bar was good but hardly five star and you can't eat that every day. The beds were as comfortable as sleeping on the floor. We woke up tired and sore everyday because the beds were so hard. The main lobby bar, which is the only one open at night, was also horrible as far as quality of drinks and service was difficlt due to not enough staff. They had NO premium brands other than a bottle of Bailey's which, believe it or not, they had refilled with their own mixture of a cheap coffee liqueur and cream. Awful! They also did the same nonsense with fake Tia Maria. Stick to beer I guess. They used the cheapest Cuban rum possible, watered down at that, and had a menu of up-charges, if you wanted something better. Stale cola mix, no lime or lemon, etc, etc.
The a-la-carte restaurants were better and were very elegant. Presentation and appearance of the food was very good. Most had some very good local musicians playing or singing while we ate supper. But the food quality was only occationally good but mostly not. Pork and beef was obviously tenderized but still like rubber. Lobster yes, but tough as nails and chewy. Overall, this was not the kind of food or drink Canadians would put up with at home. Yes, it's Cuba, but they could do a LOT better than they did.
We did find some decent snack food like pizza, burgers at the pool restaurant but it closes at 5:00 so no help at supper and not open for breakfast.
Oh, when we arrived at the hotel, we were told our upgraded room that we had paid for was damaged by water and could not be used. Since they were at 100% occupancy, they could only put us in a base level room, the only one available, until they could move us in a few days, hopefully. They offered some non-cash goodies (most of no value other than a massage at the spa) to compensate but did not refund the upgrade we had paid for. The room we were sent to was so mouldy we called the rep back right away. She came right over but said again that she had nothing else at the time so we were stuck with it. We were not happy but there was no where else to go! And, no further compensation! They did move us the next day to a very nice room but still not the room grade we had paid for. No compensation!
Overall, we had a nice holiday at this beautiful property but that was inspite of terrible food, terrible alcohol quality and terrible beds. Because of the latter, we wouldn't go back. We have visited at an all-inclusive in Cuba before and did not have these problems.You know, Mexico has a challenged economy too but they still have fantastic restaurants and food. There is no reason for this hotel's poor performance in food and drink like we found. This is NOT a five star resort! Just our opinion, but this was how we saw it.

Room Tip: Royal Club is a very nice, completely separate area. Very classy, but food is still lousy and it is...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
ParadisusRioDeOro, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking part of your valuable time in sharing your experience at Paradisus Río de Oro with us.

I am really sorry to read that you did not fully enjoy your stay at our resort.

I am also surprise to read some of your comments that make me think that we are not talking about the same hotel.

I can understand that you did not like our food but I have to disagree with some of your comments. One of the comments that I totally disagree is that we do not have branded drinks. I would say that 80% of our drinks are branded, our whiskies are J&B, Johnny Walker, Ballantines, many bourbons, we have gins like Beefeater, Larios, Tanquerey, we do have many Spanish brandies like Torres 3, 5 and 7 years, and many other type of drinks and spirits. We also serve all kind of Havana Club Rum, 3, 5, and 7 years. I am surprise that you do not find them of a good quality as they are well known around the world. I can guarantee you also that we do not refill bottles neither. It might happens, as in fact it does, that we run out of a specific type of spirit, as there is not easy to have consistency in Cuba due to supply problems, but there is always an alternative as good as the one that we run out.

Regarding the baby eels, I just would like to inform you that it is consider a delicatessen in many parts of the world, and it is been in our menu for years and that´s the first time we do have a complaint about it.

But what I regret the most, is that looking in our files, we do not have any complain in the same direction you are letting us know on this report. It is a pity that you did not inform us about your dissatisfaction with the food at our resort. If we knew about this, I am sure that you would have been able to rectify the situation and being able to prepare something according to your taste and expectation.

I kindly ask you to accept our most sincere apology for not being able to provide you with a nice holidays.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Third time to PRDO, first time Royal Service; forever spoiled, it's RS from now on! My husband & I enjoyed a care free, romantic 10 nights from Jan 28 to Feb 7, 2012. Room 9412. Impecible warm, friendly, attentive service all around. The concierge greeted us upon arrival so gentle and sincere. Checked us in with wine and warm towel service. Many heartfelt thanks to Hector, our butler. We felt as though we were the only guests there. Hector was superb, genuine & sincerly confirming we were well taken care of (a bottle of vino tinto was in my room waiting for me each evening)! Room service was always prompt and delicious. John, at the RS beach, greeted us with a sunny smile and handshake each day & served us throughout our stay making sure we were pleased with a little joke and cool resfreshment. Lunch served to our lounge chair surf side always a delicious delight! Returning to our room each afternoon to find it sparkling and aromatic thanks to Mairgit (spelling)? Little touches of flowers and towel art, such as my sunglasses on a swan, so cute! Decadent dining each evening with wine constantly flowing. Enjoyed all of the restaraunts, Cuban, El Patio and Japanese our faves. It was a milestone birthday celebration vacation for me, thus choosing my fave resort. I could not have enjoyed my dining experience any more than on our private pier at the Cuban restaurant, with each server wishing me a warm "Happy Birthday". Beautiful presentations and a special wish written for me on my desert plate :-) The Spa service and surroundings were paradise. We were swept away by our couples massage in a cabana with ocean view aaaaah...Being a return visit to this resort,we were invited to a special dinner on the beach. Mariachi band playing all the while. Bon fire on the beach followed with more entertainment. Enjoyed a lovely moonlite stroll back to our room afterward, stopping at one of the private coves for a dip! Again feeling as if the only two guests. The gorgeous ambiance at the RS was opulent. From the moment you see the sparkling infinite pool this place will take your breath away! Dreaming of returning..Muchas Gracias PDRO RS!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong, all rooms spacious and comfortable. Humongous bathrooms with vanities on ei...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

It is always nice to read that we were able to provide to another of our guest a nice and memorable holidays.

Warm regards,

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

The staff is so friendly and will do their best to go the extra mile.I stayed a week at this resort and would definitely be back again. We stayed in Royal service, wonderful rooms. The food was by far better than I expected. Ate a lot of lobster.
A week is not enough to truly enjoy all the amenities this hotel has to offer. I truly enjoyed the best Mojito's ever made by Maylin at the disco. Eduardo at the dico is a fantastic bar tender never lets your glass get empty. Had a Fantastic time, I will be back!

Room Tip: royal service rooms are beautiful, I hear the villa's are also nice.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

It is always nice to read when our guest have decided already to come back to our hotel after a first stay. That give us lot of pride but also a big responsibility in all what we do to make sure that we won´t disappoint you on your next stay.

Thank you very much again for choosing us and I hope I will have the pleasure in meeting you personally on your next stay at Paradisus Río de Oro.

Eduardo Perera Castro

Been to Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!