“Lovely property on Playa Esmeralda” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holguin
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Esmeralda, Crta Guardalavaca, Holguin 007, Cuba   |
Ranked #1 of 9 hotels in Holguin
Ontario Canada
“Lovely property on Playa Esmeralda”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

I've been to the Holguin area 3 previous times for my annual "girls only" trip. Always stayed at SRDLM just down the beach from the Paradisus. We really like SRDLM, but we wanted a change. We weren't disappointed! The property is just gorgeous; the rooms spacious (jr suite for each of us - such a treat); spotlessly clean; the food was very good. The buffet was excellent and the specialty restaurants were a nice change and the food was also very good. The staff was friendly and managed as well as they could with the English language barrier for them. The spa is just awesome. It is wonderful to have a treatment (part body massage excellent and relaxing) and then we would stay for the rest of the day. The scenery is stunning. We'd sit out on our lawn chairs on the fringe of the property overlooking the ocean and just marvel at the colours. A few times there was a silly chair grabbing issue, but we worked it out.
The clientelle at the Paradisus is very different from the SRDLM. More reserved, I would say. As a result, no rousing singing and dancing very often. The theatre area is just not large enough for the crowds, unfortunately. High season must be very tough to manage. The stage appears to be too small for the entertainers - not like the huge one at SRDLM.
There are lounging areas all through the main lobby areas, which are very pretty and so nice to relax in at all times of the day. The little cantina restaurant by the main pool has great staff and good food for a luncheon snack if you don't want to go up to the main buffett. The staff are just great! It was enjoyable to sit out at the side and watch over the lagoon area. Very peaceful.
The main beach lounge area is small, but this has been mentioned before. One just has to get out early to mark and chair and USE it! There are also lots of seating areas on the upper level overlooking the beach and around the pool.
Thank you to the Management and staff for pulling together such a great team. The new chef from the Phillipines was very interesting to chat with and really keeps an eye on things, which is nice to see. Wendy from Customer Service and her cohorts were very kind and really took care of us, yet again. Thank you so much!
I must stop. I could go on and on. Just go there and check it out! You will love it.
KLAS

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
ParadisusRioDeOro, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 22, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments.

I am glad to read that you did fully enjoy your stay at Paradisus Río de Oro.

Ronaldo is our new second executive chef that comes from Philippines and with a vast experience working on the British Virgin Islands, Bahamas and some other destinations on the Caribbean. He is a great asset to our hotel.

Thank you very much for taking part of your valuable time in sharing your experience with us and I hope that we will have the pleasure in hosting you again.

3,245 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

We just returned from a truly wonderful vacation at Paradisus Rio de Oro. We really didn't know what to expect, as this was our first time in Cuba, and were very, very pleasantly surprised with what we were offered. Before coming to the hotel we had contacted the General Manager directly and he was very helpful and extremely accommodating to our requests. This is something that we appreciate very much and made it’s something that made our stay even more enjoyable.
We truly enjoyed every bit of the hotel. The beach, Playa Esmeralda, is really beautiful as are the other series of small beaches scattered around the hotel. We treated ourselves to a day at the SPA and loved the small beach that services that area. The SPA was excellent and offered some very interesting services and massages that we tried and liked very much. The pool area is also quite nice, but because we are more nature lovers, I have to say that we spent most of our time on the beach.
The food in the hotel is excellent. We are very picky eaters and the variety and quality is true 5 star standards. The buffet offers a wide variety of everything from fresh fruit and vegetables to delicious pastries and desserts. We tried all of the restaurants and liked them very much. It’s evident that the staff put their hearts into making sure that the best service is offered.
There are some very nice nightly shows and the entertainment in the lobby, as you are having your drinks is great. The musicians are top-quality both in the restaurants and in the lobby and really make the evenings special.
Sincerely, I can recommend this establishment to people looking for something special and can guarantee that you won’t be disappointed. Thank you the staff and management of Rio de Oro for making our stay so fantastic.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments.

It was a real pleasure to have had the opportunity to host you at Paradisus Río de Oro and to contribute to make your holidays a pleasant one.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

From the moment we arrived we realised that the service we would get would be second to none. The rooms were beautiful and we could see the sea from our bed. The outside shower was a real hit And Maigret kept our room like a palace, she was wonderfully creative with towels and we enjoyed coming back to see the latest creation. We are beach people so had a sun shade reserved for us and spent all day on the beach so many thanks to Julio who took sush good care of us drinkswise and arranged for lunch to be brought to us every day by the very efficient butlers. one ofour party took ill (nothing to do with the hotel) And Norma was a star getting the doctor to him and checking every day how he was feeling. All members of staff were wonderful so will will just mention the ones we had most contact with and say thanks ie Mary, Jelly, Leo, Hector, Iris, Norma, the girls at breakfast and Iran who kept the beach spotless. Just wish I was back on the beach with Julio bringing me Champagne!!

Room Tip: sea view is always a winner for me
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
ParadisusRioDeOro, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments and for sharing them with us on tripadvisor.com

I really appreciate the fact that you name so many of our staff. They are truly the soul of our hotel. I will specially pass your comments to Julio who I am sure will appreciate them.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you again at Paradisus Río de Oro. If that´s the case please do not hesitate to contact us at any time in order to make sure you will enjoy another wonderful stay with us.

scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

Me and my husband married here on november 17th and cant praise the hotel or staff enough our wedding was just perfect and so was our holiday the staff there are a credit to the hotel never met one who was anything but lovely always had a smile or nice word even the men working in the garden food was lovely place very clean we stayed in royal service went to main part of hotel to eat sometimes and food was nice there to cant wait to get back

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you also for giving us the responsibility to organize your wedding, something that we always take with the seriousness required as we are aware how important it is to having a perfect celebration.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to celebrate together the many anniversaries that are yet to come and keep on having you as part of the Paradisus Río de Oro family.

The whole staff from Paradisus Río de Oro are wishing you happiness forever.

Stone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

My partner and I have just come home from two weeks at the PRDO and what a wonderful holiday we had! I am not going to repeat everything which is said by other reviewers, however, I will say that this hotel is everything you could wish for! The General Manager, Eduardo Perera runs this hotel magnificently. He is always interested in feedback, hoping to give everyone the best hoiday possible. Managers are seen walking around the hotel, observing and ensuring everything is run efficiently. Most of the staff are excellent with first class commication skills, and in our opinion are the nicest we have ever had the pleasure to meet. Also I would just like to mention Waldermar, our First Choice representative who was always willing to listen, give advice and talk to us, he was the best! All I can say is thank you for a wonderful two weeks, we would love to return!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1114, which was ground floor, corner location close to the resturants which is ide...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
ParadisusRioDeOro, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments and words of recognition that I really appreciate.

I will pass your comments also to Waldemar who is really someone that deserve lot of credit as he is always trying to help all his guest coming with First Choice.

Thank you very much again for taking part of your valuable time in writing your comments on tripadvisor and I really hope that we will have the pleasure in hosting you again at our resort.

If that´s the case please do not hesitate to contact me personally in order to make sure you will enjoy another wonderful stay at Paradisus Río de Oro.

Brentwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

First visited in May 2004 and thought the hotel was fantastic. Returned earlier this year and although we upgraded to 'Royal Service' - the hotel had 'aged' somewhat.

This year we arrived on a Monday, upgraded the next day but from the Thursday night I was il from some pork I ate (silly me) from the beach bar/restaurant for over a week (for the first three days I couldn't leave our room!).

So, trying not to be too biased - The hotel is better than others we have stayed at in Cuba and the service is first class. The Royal Service restaurant was very good especially if you want to be waitress served by a quiet pool with superb views over the sea.

Getting a lift to the main part of the resort is no problem - there are multiple buggies day and night. The drinks are mainly well known brands - not all local) and nothing seems too much trouble.

So, because I wasn't well enough I didn't use any of the water sport facilities (Except the snorkelling) and didn't get out of the resort. That sais - snorkel;ling off the main beach around the coral was fantastic.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

My wife and I just returned from Paradisus Rio de Oro and all I can say is that we can't wait to go back. The hotel is excellent in all its various facets. On arrival we were greeted with the warm smiles of the staff, their welcoming words, cold towels, and the ever-deserved cold glass of champagne after quite a long and tiresome flight. The whole check it took almost no time as they are organized and really know what they are doing. We were driven to our room and in no time were already enjoying a drink at the lobby bar. The room was very nice, overlooking a grassy field. Outside we had very nice deck chairs and hammocks, great for those evening post-beach relaxing moments. We loved the outside shower and really took advantage of it, always thinking of those poor blokes at home who are already battling some cold weather.
The grounds are well manicured and the gardeners never stop working. We loved the botanical garden and the series of mini trail around the hotel, where one can walk relaxingly enjoying the tropics.
The food was excellent, both in the buffet and in the specialty restaurants. During our 2 week stay, the buffet offered a great Cuban night, a Gala dinner and to our treat, an Asian night (done for the first time), which was excellent. For the Asian night the buffet was creatively decorated with beautiful Asian artefacts and we were treated with hand-made, for your own order Sushi and tempura. A real thumbs up for the hotel!
Paradisus Rio de Oro is truly a hotel that offers you excellent service, unsurpassable anywhere else. The hotel General Manager, Mr. Perera, oversees the whole structure and really does a remarkable job in keeping everything in top shape. We want to thank him and his staff for giving us a great vacation and promise that we will be back soon!

Dear Guest,

A BIG thank you for your nice comments and for sharing them with us on tripadvisor.

It was a great pleasure to have had the opportunity to host you at Paradisus Río de Oro.

I am glad to read that you did appreciate the effort that all the team put in preparing the special nights at our buffet. Trust when I say that it is a team work from all the different departments, starting from the kitchen, the F&B team and gardeners who does an amazing job in decorating the area.

Thank you very much again for your nice words and I hope we will have the honor in hosting you again sometime in the near future.

Eduardo Perera Castro

Been to Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!