“Wonderful family excursion” 5 of 5 stars

Ontario, Canada
24 attraction reviews
“Wonderful family excursion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

We were picked up at 8:45 at the Playa Pesquero on an air conditioned bus for the short trip to the boat dock. There was a bar, washrooms and shade on shore if you had to wait. We didn’t have to wait though. The flat boats take 20 people each. They did a little spin out in the bay on the way there for an extra thrill.

We arrived to the sound of a Cuban band. One of the guys handed all the kids maracas which made for some great photo ops. A welcome drink for all. Those of us who’d come in clothes changed into our bathing suits. Washrooms were clean. No toilet seats, but then again, there were plenty of places in Cuba with no toilet seats. Only one of the cubicles had toilet paper. Luckily, I’d done my research and brought my own.

The dolphin pens are all around. It’s not so much an island as a bunch of interconnected boardwalks and buildings on stilts with dolphin pens in between. I was first in the water with my 8 year old son. He was a little nervous (dolphins are big animals!) but when a dolphin rolls over right beside you so you can pet its belly how can you resist? 20 people in lifejackets with 2 dolphins. We’d brought our own lifejacket for our 45 lb son. It fit better than one of theirs would have.

We all lined up and got kisses, had plenty of time to pet them, get splashed by them, etc. At the end we got to go to the front either individually or in groups to get photos of them kissing us. They had a professional photographer (10 pesos) but it wasn’t a high pressure thing. Our tour guide was happy to tell us on the bus that she was excellent at taking photos and knew all the cameras so she wouldn’t have a problem doing it for you.

We didn’t need camera help since my husband and I took turns since our 3 year old didn’t go in the water. She could have. Another little girl went that day. But ours is completely untrusting of lifejackets so we didn’t see the point of one of us getting strangled by her in the water. Afterwards though, a woman who hadn’t gone in the water asked if she could go down to the platform. So I asked the same for my daughter. It was great! The trainer signaled the dolphin to come up onto the platform and she got to pet her for a minute. I suppose it would all depend on the day and how many people were asking though.

Husband went in a different pen. 10 swimmers, 1 adult dolphin and one baby. (Awww!) Baby didn’t come over to visit anyone but swam close a few times.

Afterwards it was the sea lion show. Funny. Then the dolphin show. They really are spectacular. There’s a volunteer opportunity during the show. I won’t give it away but I wish I’d done it.

Adults: 79 CUC (some tour companies charge 99)
Kids 49
Show only 20

• Polish first
Northern Ontario
“Swimming with the Dolphins”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2008

If you go to the Guardalavaca area for you vacation in Cuba, I recommend that you swim with the dolphins! I've been to this area 3 times and have never done this before. Well I did this time and had one of the best times of my life! It costs 99 peso to go to the dolphin and sealion show and swim with the dolphins for 20 minutes. Another 10 pesos if you want to do the dolphin push where they push you up out of the water. If you only want to go and see the show and not do any swimming the show costs 40 pesos. It was worth every penny I paid! The band at the bar is really entertaining as well.

Ontario
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2006

I know it's been a long time since my now fiance and I visited the Aquarium but Trip Advisor helped me so much I thought I would contribute as well. We visited the Aquarium when staying at Las Brisas in 2000. We took the boat over from the hotel with drinks and snorkelling included (which was great) and then we saw the sea lion show and swam with the dolphins. Normally the boat held 25 people but we were lucky enough to have only one other couple go with us. We swam with the dolphins for about an hour and they did many tricks with us and we did not have to pay any extra money. Then we had a fabulous lunch and drinks on the way back. Our boat captain was funny and kept us entertained for the duration. I liked how they had minimal disruption to the natural surroundings to house the aquarium. The show was great and not to be missed. When we got back people were most excited to hear about our experience swimming with the dolphins than anything else.

A TripAdvisor Member
“What a day!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2003

It was incredible,!!!I went with my daughter and a friend and her daughter.You get to see 2 shows,1 with the sea lion and one with the dolphins,Then you get to swim with the dolphins if your brave enough.
,just one little disappointment we were suppose to get our picture taken with dolphins the guy let before we got to see the dolphins , we were one of the last people...So dont forget to bring a camera just in case .....You wouldnt want to miss that experience.........