“Warm, wonderful family home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Omar Esquerra Ortega

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Trinidad
Hostal Omar Esquerra Ortega
You added Hostal Omar Esquerra Ortega to your Saves list
Piro Guinart 59 | entre Pedro Zerquerra y Clemente Pereira, Trinidad 60100, Cuba   |
Ranked #39 of 230 Trinidad B&B and Inns
Halifax, Canada
“Warm, wonderful family home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I've stayed in many casa's in Cuba. This was my first in Trinidad. I happened upon it by chance. Getting off the bus in Trinidad with my bags, as a solos female traveler was a bit intimidating. I was instantly overwhelmed by the number of casas available. I had read enough to realize that not all casas advertising rooms for rent are legal casas. And I had learned by reading guides that you should not just choose the first you find. And also, you should never agree to rent without a thorough viewing of the room, and facilities. I trusted my gut and viewed several that I choose to walk away from because of lack of cleanliness, or just a bad feeling. I was eventually rescued by a gentleman who I instantly felt comfortable with. He could see my plight, and lead me down a street to this lovely home, the house of his son and daughter-in-law. I knew the moment I stepped inside it was where I would be staying. Omar and his lovely wife welcomed me graciously and showed me to my room, upstairs on the roof. It was splendidly clean, and though it offered no fridge, the AC was in good working condition. I would have welcomed a chair in my room. The furnishings were sparse but sufficient for my minimalist life style. The water and bathroom were perfectly functioning. This was probably the cleanest casa I've stayed in. I could step outside of my room and view the yards of the surrounding homes, and at night the neighbors had a bonfire. There was a little patio set that I could sit and relax or read. Breakfast and dinner are offered, and I choose breakfast only, and pre-ordered my usual - 2 eggs over easy, coffee and milk, fruit, and guava shake. This way I was not over served with things I don't eat - like bread, jams, honey, meats, biscuits. In Cuba, food tends to be over-served. This saved time, waste and money. They usually drop the 4 or 5 CUC rate to 3 CUC if you don't want everything offered for the set price. Omar is gentle and speaks enough English to get by. He takes his job seriously, and upon check in got out street maps, brochures, bus information, etc. and showed my how to get around, pointed out the main arteries. I learned quickly that my street took me to the Viazul bus station, the local beach bus also stopped a few blocks away, hourly, to transfer beach goers for 1 CUC, (and that included a return trip) from the Boca, one of the local beaches (and not my favorite). Omar's extended family share this house, and every morning I received kind greetings as they went about their business. I love casas. I love feeling like I have met the family pet, and grand mother included. It make me want to go back again and again. Trust me, you won't always find a familial welcome at casas, but at Omar Esquerra's it's a guarantee. Very gracious and understanding hosts. They genuinely care that your stay in Trinidad is comfortable. They ask questions and are truly concerned if something isn't just right. Hope to see this family again very soon!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Trondheim, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights and it was amazing!! Our bedroom was spotless, and they cleaned it every day. We ate all our dinners at the house, not because the city didn't have any restaurants, but because the food was so good. The fruit juice is so fresh!! We definitely recommend Hostal Omar Esquerre Ortega, and hopefully we will be back some day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed with this lovely family for four nights. Omar and his family took very good care of us! We really didnt want to leave! The rooms are nice and clean, the food is good and the area is safe!
We ate all our meals in this casa, and we will abselutely recomend eating in! The food was really good!
Their casa lays in the middle of everything. Its a short walk to the bus which take you to the beatiful beach, ancon (2cuc both ways pr pers).
Its a short walk to the stairs where you can enjoy traditional cuban dancing and music, and have a drink.
Go see the cave nightclub! It was amazing!! (Even if your not a partyanimal you should just go to see it).

• Stayed May 2013
Kouvola, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed at Omar's for five nights and were really pleased with everything. The room was spacious and very clean and the view was lovely. The family is ever so helpful and they will do everything possible to make your stay enjoyable. They cook really nice food even for a vegetarian. They also can arrange excursions if you please, we took the mountain trip where a private taxi takes you up to the mountais and you'll take a 45min walk to a waterfall where you can jump in to cool of the partly rough walk through the forrest. We definitely recommend!

Room Tip: We stayed at the room on top of the house and loved it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Vejen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Omar and his family had a lovely home, and let us in so we felt like we were home. So nice people, who also makes very nice food. The home Can absolutly be recomended. The house is located very central, but still outside the city centrum, so it is nicely quiet.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We had a wonderful experience staying with Omar and his family. The area was walking distance to everything in old Trinidad, but not noisy. The food was amazing - especially the banana chips and the prawn dish! We could get our laundry done there, we had a private salsa lesson with his daughters. The room was lovely and clean (we stayed in the upstairs one, which was nice and private), lovely patio area to relax and, importantly, we could park our rental car in the locked driveway - very important in Trinidad! Can't fault our experience, we'd definitely go back, we even made friends with the family and went out salsa dancing for Omar's birthday.
Kate & Shan

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Alesund, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed with Omar and his family 4 nights on recommendation from our daughter. Very nice family and nice food. You will not be disappointed here. We stayed at other places like this, but Omar and his family was the best.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hostal Omar Esquerra Ortega? Share your experiences!