“April Sun in Cuba with Javier” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal-Javier

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Trinidad
Hostal-Javier
You added Hostal-Javier to your Saves list
Antonio Maceo No 538 | Antonio Maceo (Gutierrez) No. 538 E/ Simon Bolivar (Desengano) And Piro Guinart ( Boca), Trinidad 62600, Cuba   |
Ranked #20 of 234 Trinidad B&B and Inns
Melbourne a
“April Sun in Cuba with Javier”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I have just spent another wonderful 2 months with Javier, my cuban Papa in Trinidad. I have been fortunate enough to have been adopted by this family now for over 13 years and once again this year did not fail to dissapoint.

With his unwaivering desire to please all his visitors, Javier is truely one of a kind spending as many hours as guests need to provide all of the information required to have a fabulous stay in this beautiful colonial city.

My room as I like to call it which is where you will reside is one of the very best in Trinidad with access to the main house and also to the street for those guests wanting to party into the wee hours and come home late without waking up papa, however he will always come to the rescue if you lose your key as I have done on occasion. It's a large area with two double beds and with glass windows to a lovely patio where you will be served a yummy brekky and a huge dinner with many choices - even Antelope or Turtle should you so desire.

Barbie, Javier's wife is a wonderful cook and dinner can be served at a time of your choice and breakfast too! Be mindful that they are big servings and Papa will always want to have a cigar and talk awhile with his guests. This is always my favourite part of the day. Javier is always interested to learn about other countries and speaking three languages enables him to develop good relationships with all of his guests.

I have been coming here now for all these years and his service and dedication to ensuring that all visitors have a memorable stay is second to none, hence why he is now the manager of 11 rooms, this one being number 1! I have to say if you do choose to come and visit, book ahead and be wary of February and March as I will usually be occupying the room. I will say however that with a choice of 11 rooms including a fully independant new apartment upstairs and his service you can't go wrong in booking a room with Javier.

Lastly I want to acknowledge all of the amazing tourists that came to stay with Javier this year who I had the opportunity to show around this town including my crazy Canadian Pakastani buddies, Ahsan, Sully and Billy, Eric and Juan Carlos from Seattle, Isabel from New York, Lisa and Karin from Canada, Matthew and Glen from Malta and Gabriel from Canada too who I know will all be sure to return and last but not least my buddy Flaco from Sydney Australia who is a sure thing...not to forget my two aussie buddies Belinda and Dominque who came along for ride with me this year....

So book now with Javier and stay tuned for the most memorable stay of your time in Cuba!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Greek first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Recently I visited Trinidad, Cuba and was connected to Javier by Jenny and Lourdes in Havana (who have an excellent Casa in Havana, make sure to visit them when in Havana). I was traveling with two cousins and when we reached the train station we were accosted by many Hinataro's (I think thats how to spell it). They will be all over you hoping you will hire their services for many things, it can be very overwhelming. Though we were lucky Javier showed up to save the day, he had a great calming presence within all this chaos. Now Javier manages 9 different properties, his included in Trinidad. When he brought us to his nephews house where we had the whole house for 45 CUC a night. He sat down and gave us an in depth explanation of what there was to do in Trinidad, the layout of the city basically all that Trinidad has to offer. He was totally accessible, in fact we spent most of our evenings at his place for drinks and cigars. Additionally when you stay at any of the 9 properties they will prepare breakfast for you (3-6 CUC/person) also dinner (8-12 CUC/person) then you will receive a complimentary cigar with every dinner. The families and employees of all these properties are extremely hospitable and kind. There is not enough I can say about Javier to explain how tremendous and helpful he was while in Trinidad. Also he belongs to an excellent network of Casa Particulares, so if you plan to travel around Cuba he can connect you to another Casa where you will receive the same service, comfort and overall experience. Finally hopefully if your luck enough to be in Trinidad when Javier's Australian daughter Anna Maria is visiting, she is an great tour guide of the city and their beaches, also a very cool person. I strongly recommend staying with Javier or one of his family members. I had a great time Javier and I look forward to visiting you again. Regards Bilal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Haifa, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Well all thing that were said about the place and javier are more then true,excelent place to be ,the food is gastronic heaven that can compite valued resturent,though the porciones are huge lol,best thing come hungry .also speechless about his hospitality when at supper he spoiles his guests whith Rum and cigars. Javier is very helpful with travelling tips around and out of Trinidad that can save one money. I also recomd to book through Javier the shutelles that can take you every where in cuba same price as viaazul plus saves travelling time and above all dropes you where ever you one your hotel or casa.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Good location! Comfortable room! Nice people! The house is only a block away from the heart of of the town where you can find all the services, internet, money exchange, travel agency, taxi, bus station, restaurant, etc. The house is well maintained and very clean. The room is big and lots of privacy. The owner is an excellent cook. The quality of food is far better than most restaurants I visited in Cuba, including Havana and the resorts in Varadero and Cayo Largo.
Javier is very helpful and informative. He speaks perfect English. His introduction to the area is thorough and clear. He has connection to hostels in other cities. He helped me to book the accommodation for the rest of my trip that saved me from a lot of trouble. And the quality of those houses are very good. I will definitely stay here again if I revisit Trinidad.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Trinidad is such an amazing town and Javier is definitely the best place to stay in Trinidad.
We arrived late and Javier was there waiting for our arrival. The food Javier's family cooked for us is the best ever we had in Cuba. When we were complaining about the lobsters we had in Havana and Varadero were disappointing Javier responded with us with the most well cooked lobsters we had in Cuba, so fresh and so tasty. The room we stayed in are the one with the little garden, and the garden is so excellently built and felt like family. During our stay Javier arranged a number of activity for us such as horse riding trip to the waterfall. It is definitely a quality experience. Javier also shared a lot of valuable knowledge which is definitely worth listening to. We wish we could have stayed a lot longer and we will definitely come back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Usually tourists come to trinidad to visit for 2 - 3 days, most of them are coming back to stay longer and Javier knows about it. The room he rents in his house is one of the best in town, ideal for 1 - 3 people, private entrance but there is not much you want to keep private once you start to know that beautiful family. Not only you get amazing food, also all kind of advice and helpful information can be provided by Javier and there is lots he can tell. Make shure to send early reservation request as this Casa is mostly booked with those who heard of it and come for the first time and all those who are always coming back again and again............

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We enjoyed Javier´s friendly hospitality during our 6-day stay in Trinidad. The spacy room was nice with entrance both the street and the terrace. Everything was clean and neat during our stay there and breakfast was nutritious with fresh fruits, juices and eggs, ham, bread and tasty cuban coffee. As firsttimers in Cuba we benefit our hosts vast knowledge of his country and Trinidad´s surroundings. Staying at Javier's helped us know Trinidad. If you go there, you sure can stay independently by yourself, but whenever you need any assistance or good tips, your host Javier is there to help your stay unforgettable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hostal-Javier? Share your experiences!