“Excellent friendly casa” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Colonial 1830

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Trinidad
Casa Colonial 1830
You added Casa Colonial 1830 to your Saves list
Gustavo Izquierdo 124 | E/ Simon Bolivar y Piro Guinart, Trinidad 62600, Cuba   |
Ranked #98 of 248 Trinidad B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hertford, United Kingdom
“Excellent friendly casa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in this casa and had a very relaxed time. Chi chi and his brother were particularly friendly and helpful... Making us lovely mojios and his mum preparing some lovely breakfasts and suppers. The rooms were spotless and comfortable even without natural light. Chi chi met us from the station which was also very useful but the villa is only a few steps away if you leave the station the street the tour buses parked in and not walk though to the other street ...where all the other casa owners are waiting to offer you their places!
So glad we booked this one! Chi Chi will do his very best to ensure you have everything you needs and offer sound advice re excursions and costs!

Room Tip: We stayed in the room leading onto the family courtyard ..early morning sun.. Very pleasant!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Yosvaldo S, Owner at Casa Colonial 1830, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear customers,

We are very pleased to read your review of our Colonial House, and know that we have provided our contribution to a pleasant holiday theirs.

I want to thank you for sharing with us and their impressions Tripadvisor community, and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you to our home in the near future.

Best Regards

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Antibes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed at the Casa Colonial for 4 nights (and would have stayed a day longer but it was full.) Room was charming though one occasionally experienced problems with the water but this is par for the course anywhere, including the expensive hotels. ChiChi was a delightful host and his staff were also friendly and helpful. I especially appreciated this as a woman travelling alone. I ate in most of the time, usually with other guests who were also appreciative of the cooking (especially the lobster and shrimps) and enjoyed the sociability and the pleasant outside terrace. Breakfast was huge and beautifully presented, by far the best I experienced in my 3 weeks in Cuba. Congratulations to the Ladies of the Kitchen.
I rang ahead to advise of my approx. arrival time but the coach (Transtur) dropped us “anywhere” and so I was subjected to the touts. One tried to tell me he was the owner and the toilets were out of order so he would take me to another Casa. Do NOT believe them!

My final night had to be spent at another casa which was vastly inferior and highlighted the differences. One would not have thought breakfast was the same meal.

The location is also excellent, very close to the Plaza Major, the Viazul Bus Station and Cubatour for excursions.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stay 2 nights at Chichi's casa and found it to be very nice indeed. Chichi himself offered excellent service and always greeted you with a kind smile, he also speaks decent English too which was bonus. If arriving by Viazul bus it is the perfect place to choose because it so close to the bus station. We ate food here one evening and that was nice, the coffee is grown very locally too up in the mountains nearby. The downside was the shower was very weak and not warm is the slightest, not a problem in the summer months but for the cooler evenings it wasn't ideal. Breakfasts were also really good and very big!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is my second stay at Casa Colonial 1830. We stayed for 5 days this trip and again Yirina and Chichi made our stay wonderful. The house is perfectly located, very clean and safe, good food, helpful hosts and a wonderful atmosphere. The first time I stayed with friends and the second time as a couple - Casa Colonial 1830 was perfect for both trips.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cologne, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed at Chichis house 3 nights and had a really wonderfull time. The Casa is perfectly located five minutes from the historical center away. Breakfast and Dinner were very fresh and delicious and Chichi was always helpfull and very nice to us. His First words as we arrived were "My home is your home" and we felt like home in this wonderful old house. The whole furniture in the house is also very ancient and Chichi showed us his granma gramophone from 1904.
Thank you Chichi for the great time, we really enjoyed it!
Nataliya & Carsten

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed there for one night with my wife. The house is an old colonial style really amazing and huge. Is two blocks from the central square. All the rooms are confortable and big. The family is very nice and they can help you anytime you want for any reason. But the best of all is the food they serve. You should ask them about the lobster they serve. It was the best food I was served in Cuba. If you go to Trinidad you should choose this house. You will definately enjoy it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Location is fantastic and the house is beautiful, but the hosts could use some improvement.

Stayed for 3 nights in December. When we arrived there was not a room with two beds as I'm ALMOST certain I had requested in the reservation. They were at capacity and we couldn't find a decent room in the area with 2 beds so we ended up staying in a 'spare' family room with a tiny desk fan, no windows and no bathroom. I appreciate the fact that they found space for us, but I don't appreciate the fact that they charged us the same price ($30CUC a night) to stay in this spare family room as they charge for an en suite room meant for guests.

The $5CUC breakfast was OK. Lots of salt, as usual, and lots of flies.

I thought part of the casa particulare deal was that the owners would help you find your next casas, but I felt like they left us hanging. We changed our plans while we were there and needed to make casa arrangements in Havana for 2 days out. I asked Chi Chi several times if he could make some calls to some friends in Havana to help us out, but he never did. I ended up having to call the casa we had stayed at previously (Casa Amada - highly recommend) to check on availability. Chi Chi made me pay for using the phone to make this call when we checked out.

Will stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Casa Colonial 1830? Share your experiences!