“Little service and no focus on the customer” 2 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$94*
and up
Waiheke Island Exploration and Zipline Day Trip...
Ranked #20 of 28 Activities in Waiheke Island
Type: Wineries, Food & Drink
More attraction details
Owner description: A walking tour of this picturesque vineyard reveals beautiful roses interspersed with the grape vines, used to make the vineyard's signature Larose Bordeaux style red wine.
Mudgee, Australia
7 attraction reviews
“Little service and no focus on the customer”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

I approached the tasting area alone as my wife was driving and not interested.
After waiting a few minutes a young girl went straight into the different flight s you could purchase for tasting. I chose one of the more expensive ones with 5 reds to taste.
I was then directed out tot he deck to wait for my wine to be brought o me.
the girl came out a few minutes later with the wine and a sheet of tasting notes.
She got confused as to which wine was which and they were not put in front of me in the order they were on the sheet which is vital if you are going to be letting your paying customers lead themselves through your wines. I stumbled through the tasting hoping I was reading the correct notes.
The wines seemed overpriced and not very nice, but then if I had a person walking me through the tasting I may have thought differently.
Overall no focus on the tasting experience just 'here you go' and walkaway. also no attempt at sales.
As is apparently a trend here, there is no leading of the customers through a tasting and telling them about your wines. I recommend all winery owners and managers here travel to at least one other wine region and see how it should be done. Obviously the focus is on food and the restaurant, sales and wine are secondary.

Visited May 2014
Larose08, Manager at Stonyridge Vineyard, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Hi anon71973,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we appreciate your valued feedback. Rest assured we take your feedback seriously and will be conducting a review of the points your raised. Please let me know (Rachel - events@stonyridge.com) if you have a chance to visit in the future.
Thank you again.

4 attraction reviews
“Great afternoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

We visited this vineyard on a whirlwind trip to Waiheke. We did a vineyard tour and wine tasting with a charming, knowledgable and passionate French girl. The vineyard has an interesting bohemian, laid-back vibe. We had some very interesting conversations with the other, mostly European, staff. We would definitely have stayed for lunch if we had more time...

Hi ydnak80,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we appreciate the kind words of feedback you have written. We certainly do hope you return for lunch in the future!
Knoxville, Tennessee
21 attraction reviews
“Very Tasty!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

While we did not eat at the restaurant, we did do a wine tasting! The outdoor atmosphere on a beautiful summer day could not have been better! The wine was excellent and the staff was very friendly and helpful!

Visited February 2014
Larose08, Manager at Stonyridge Vineyard, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Hi Hellison,

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. We delighted you enjoyed your time here at Stonyridge. Next time you are over on Waiheke Island please come and join us for lunch!
Phoenix Arizona
27 attraction reviews
“"It's Just a Job - I don't Even Like Wine" - Hmmmm”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I have mixed feelings about Stonyridge. It was our second winery stop in New Zealand so I wasn't sure what to expect. We traveled to NZ from Arizona primarily to visit the wine regions - and we were really excited to get to Waiheke because our AZ winemaker friend Sam Pillsbury (transplant from NZ) had sent a personal message for us to deliver to Stonyridge's founder/winemaker Stephen White.

The grounds and house are beautiful and relaxing. What wasn't relaxing was the 'scripted' introduction to the wine tasting options and the rushed feeling we got when deciding. We mentioned that we had a message for Stephen White from a friend of his in AZ and no one seemed to care. They just said sorry, he's not here but let me tell you about how we do our tastings.

We were halfway through the wine choices, food choices, credit card charging etc. when our gal turned away without any explanation and started working with another couple who had walked up. Several minutes went by and no one said a word to us. Meanwhile, I went up to the restaurant area and asked one of the gentlemen if he knew Stephen White and I was able to give him the message from Sam. He was very nice. Then I went back down to the tasting room and my husband was still struggling to get some help with the tasting. He found someone else but she wasn't much better. She was from the US and I mentioned what a great opportunity it must be to learn all about NZ wines, etc. She said "It's just a job. I don't even like wine". Wow.

Okay, so third time is a charm. We then met a very enthusiastic wine lover/server who was there from China and she made all the difference in our experience. She offered to serve our wine outside so we could enjoy the patio and a cheese platter. We had a terrific talk with her - we love to talk about wine - and we really got a good feel for Stonyridge. The wines were very good but I wasn't ready to drop the kind of money they wanted for their Larose vintages.

I think Stonyridge would benefit from dialing back the commercialism and making sure their staff is passionate about wine and wine lovers alike. The rushed, pressured sales just don't work in the environment they have created. It was, in fact, really the only winery that made us feel that way in the dozens of NZ wineries we visited over the next few weeks.

Hi TravelVal,

My apologies for a delayed reply to your review.
Firstly, sorry for the feeling of the rushed environment you felt, that is certainly not the intention. Please rest assured this is being followed up with our team to ensure everyone receives a welcoming, enthusiastic and relaxing experience at Stonyridge.
I am glad to hear you passed your message onto someone for Stephen, he loves to hear from his friends around the world.
Thank you for your kind words about Jessie. I am so pleased to hear that she made a difference in your experience.
Once again, please accept my apologies regarding your experience. I certainly hope next time you are in NZ you come back through for us to rectify your memories on Stonyridge.
New Zealand
24 attraction reviews
“Their noses were a bit too high in the air for us...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

We arrived on a very busy day, so understandably the staff seemed quite rushed and busy. We were lucky to grab a table outside that wasn't reserved. Staff were pretty average in terms if friendliness and this is why our score is low. There was one younger guy who was friendly who tidied our table, however, my partner wasn't impressed feeling looked down on by staff behind the bar when ordering drinks. We ate a platter which was really good although it came with no plates or cutlery, so we weren't really sure how to eat it without using fingers. The frame by the orchard is fun to take photos with though!

Visited March 2014
Larose08, Manager at Stonyridge Vineyard, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Hi Kitt3n,

Thanks for taking the time to write this review, we appreciate your valued feedback.
Please rest assured that I am following up your feedback with our restaurant manager regarding your experience and I apologise for any attitude you may have received.