“A vineyard that had run out of it's own wine...” 3 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$94*
and up
Waiheke Island Exploration and Zipline Day Trip...
Ranked #20 of 28 Activities in Waiheke Island
Type: Wineries, Food & Drink
More attraction details
Owner description: A walking tour of this picturesque vineyard reveals beautiful roses interspersed with the grape vines, used to make the vineyard's signature Larose Bordeaux style red wine.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 attraction reviews
“A vineyard that had run out of it's own wine...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Nice spot to have some wine and food (very tasty) - but don't expect them to have all of the Stonyridge wines (Rose or Chardonnay) as they had run out weeks ago... they still advertised them though.
The staff ran around not knowing what to do half of the time and when asked about the food, responded that they didn't know much?
Long way out of town when there's vineyards that are more impressive and closer to Oneroa (with better views).

Visited March 2013
Larose08, Manager at Stonyridge Vineyard, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback, as we are a boutique vineyard we only make limited amounts of each wine per vintage. Being sold out is more of a positive than a negative for us as we are happy people want to buy our product! Apologies you missed out on the Stonyridge Chardonnay and Rose, both very popular summer drinks!

Tampa, FL
“If You Only Had Time for ONE Vineyard in Waiheke...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

...THIS WOULD BE THE PLACE. With no expectations of what a vineyard would look and feel like in this little island, I was rather surprised of what I experienced at Stonyridge. Upon being dropped off by the local bus practically at the entrance of the vineyard's drive way, we were greeted by a jolly gentlemen in a pick-up truck (you guys call it a "ute") on his way to work who encouraged me and a few bus riders to hop on board if our chosen destination was Stonyridge. Mind you, I would not advise anyone just to hop on board a "ute" with a driver that had an Australian accent, but there was something that told me the Josh Stalker (yes, that was his real name) was not only a good guy, he REALLY DID work at this famed Waiheke Vineyard.
We got off the pick-up truck and was ushered to the tasting room, where, as I normally have experienced in wineries in at least 5 continents, we'd be in and out in about 15-20 mins. I found myself staying at Stonyridge for 4 hours. There was something about this hip, modern, almost Zen-like property that made me stay longer that I thought I would. Yes, the vines were right in front of you. Nothing gigantic, extravagant, or overbearing. Just enough to vines to make the best bottle they can produce - the Larose. Their 2006 Larose beat both France's and America's finest top labels. Yes, there was a restaurant that served food on the higher price point of things that served fresh local food. BUT it wasn't the number of vines or the food that kept you there. It was the fact that you could sit on a spa-like deck bed on a yoga-like wooden deck surrounded by gigantic palm trees and buddah statues or on a blanket over a grassy knoll, listening to ambient electronic music (every NYE they host epic parties and invite some of the best DJs in the world to spin at the property with about 2000 of their closest friends), sipping award winning wine, overlooking the most calming of vineyard valleys, all while surrounded by an atmosphere fit for family and friends. Imaging bringing the Mediterranean to Napa, with a beach just a mile of two away.
If there was one place I'd like to spend my Saturday afternoon sipping wine and eating good food with a lover, friends, or family and only had a day in Waiheke, this is where I would go.

Visited February 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write the lovely review and include photos of our beautiful vineyard! Happy to hear you love the place as much as we do :)
“Stunning in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This has got to be the best meal I have had in a very long time (and we eat out a lot!) My steak was perfection and my husbands seared tuna was amazing also. The staff were brilliant and very friendly. All in all, a very pleasurable experience.

The only thing I'd suggest they do is put a sign at the end of their driveway if they're closed due to functions. It's a very long way to walk to find out it's not open to the public!

Visited January 2013
Larose08, Manager at Stonyridge Vineyard, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review. We appreciate your feedback about our private functions; completely understand it is a very long walk!
3 attraction reviews
“Overwhelmed by popularity”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

I went to Stonyridge after reading a review that it is in the top 10 vineyards in the world. When there I was told about the 2006 wine the was rated as the best Cabernet Malbec of 357 in blind tasting. The restaurant is in a nice setting, with views. I chose an eggplant terrine with a Chardonnay for entree, both tasted very nice, however the entree was presented about an hour after the order was placed. I then ordered a dish with Shitake mushrooms. To my surprise it arrived within 10 minutes, but was heavy in red wine, with a mixture of cold and warm food. After lunch, I went to the wine tasting area, and chose the premium tasting of four red wines. After an introduction to the wines, I was left in the hot sun, while the victualler attended to others. After a time sitting, I decided to leave. On the way back to the ferry, I checked my email to see that my request for a lunch booking at 12:30 pm, sent the previous day, had been answered at 2:30 pm. Despite my set backs, I would recommend, but not in a holiday period

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we value your feedback. We also thank you for considering the fact that we do get very busy over the holiday season, we really appreciate you can still give us a recommendation. We hope you can make it for a second visit.
Stamford
50 attraction reviews
“Fineyard”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Very beautiful setting in rolling hills. Most expensive of the numerous vineyards we visited but there are some really classy wines here and they know it. Probably my favourite of the vineyards though. The food also looked delicious. We shared a dessert - creamy, delicious and well-prepared. Wish I had more to spend here! Very fine place.

Visited December 2012
Larose08, Manager at Stonyridge Vineyard, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write this lovely review!