“Great day out” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Tours, Food & Drink
More attraction details
Owner description: Many other companies masquerade as Waiheke Island Wine Tours but we are the ONLY Qualmark-accredited wine tour operator based on Waiheke Island. It's just a 35min ferry ride from downtown Auckland, across the sparkling waters of the Hauraki Gulf to paradise! We own and operate the business ourselves and have two highly experienced guides Wayne (owner) and Graham. We don't use "ring ins"! Our tours are small and intimate with nine clients max (two seats kept vacant) in our comfortable vehicle with aircon and large windows for excellent sightseeing. Spend a day with us and enjoy an entertaining scenic tour with full commentary on the island's Maori/European beginnings and life today. Included in the tour price are tasting fees for at least 14 wines at three top vineyards, chilled bottled water, Waiheke Island of Wine Map, transfers to lunch and back to the ferry after lunch. We operate daily (except Xmas Day, Easter Friday or the odd short break). Privately tailored tours are also available by arrangement.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Of all the wine tours some of us have done in the past this would be the most memorable day out. My colleagues and I could not fault this as Wayne knowledge & history of the Island was excellent. The vineyards we visited was excellent and we left vowing to return. The only fault I can say is because the vineyards we were taken to had exceptional wines, we came back with a lighter wallet (we could not leave them without making some purchases as you would not find wine like this back at our local). If you are looking to do a vineyard tour on Waiheke, "Waiheke Island Wines Tours" is an absolute must!!!

Visited October 2013
JeanandWayne, Owner at Waiheke Island Wine Tours, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Tina, Wayne thoroughly enjoyed meeting your group and showing you our special island. Being able to buy quality wines from great vineyards is an added bonus - despite the lightening of you wallet! Thanks for coming back to TA to write your lovely review. Cheers Jean and Wayne.

Hawaii
20 attraction reviews
“Fun Day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Wayne was a great guide. We went to 3 wineries and he took us to a 4th, Mudrock, for lunch only.

Jurassic Ridge and Peacock Sky were my favorites that were included in the trip. I paid for the tasting at Mudrock, which is really where I wanted to go. We went there for lunch. I wish I had had a choice for lunch and that Mudrock would have been included in the tastings. But, all in all, it was an enjoyable day.

Visited October 2013
JeanandWayne, Owner at Waiheke Island Wine Tours, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Hulamoon thanks for returning and reviewing us on Trip Advisor, we are glad to hear you enjoyed your day out with us. I know Wayne explained this to you and just to clarify for anyone else reading this review - our promise for your day is to visit three award-winning vineyards and enjoy 14+ tastings of excellent wines. If anyone wants further tastings, they are welcome to pay for more at their lunch venue. Kind regards Jean and Wayne.
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Waiheke Island Wine Tours.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had a fantastic wine tour with Wayne. He put up with our silly jokes and giggliness as we visited three wineries, each seeming better than the last. We also got to find out about the islands history and take in some amazing views. After it all we got to have lunch at the award winning Casita Miro. This tour definately surpassed my expectations and I would highly recommend it to others.

Visited October 2013
Dear Andrea G, thanks for returning to Trip Advisor to write your reviews. Wayne enjoyed meeting your group and always likes to see people enjoying themselves. Cheers! Jean and Wayne.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 attraction reviews
“Highly recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Agree with all of the five star reviews. Wayne's "bones are with the island", as he said-- he's informative and passionate about the history and goings-on there. I felt like I was a local with the benefit of the "inside track." Not to mention that the island in itself is 5-star gorgeous.

The Peacock winery with the food pairings by far and away was most amazing. And all three wineries he took us to were great.

I only wish I stopped and asked Wayne to reexplain some of the history. With his accent (or mine? :) ) and all of the Maori words, it was sometimes hard to keep up. I know I missed out on some pretty interesting stuff-- the island is full of it!

I highly recommend this company!!!

JeanandWayne, Owner at Waiheke Island Wine Tours, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Hi Amandajammer, thanks so much for returning to Trip Advisor to write your lovely review. It is great feedback for Wayne to know he captured your imagination with his renditions of the island's history. We Kiwis do tend to forget that our accent is very different, so your comment is a good reminder for us to talk a bit more slowly during commentary!! Warm regards Jean and Wayne :-)
Winter Haven
14 attraction reviews
“Personalized Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Wayne does a fabulous job of Waiheke history. I loved when he took us to see the towns roosters. The winery tour with Waiheke is a MUST! We stayed on this little ROMANTIC island for 3 days and fell in love with the island, wineries, and the hospitality. My favorite winery was Peacock Sky and Mudbrick. The best restaurant for us was Cable Bay. The best view was Trig Hill reserve.

Visited September 2013
JeanandWayne, Owner at Waiheke Island Wine Tours, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Hi Rhonda, many thanks for returning to TA write your review. It was our pleasure assisting in the planning of your trip to Waiheke Island. Wayne thoroughly enjoyed your company over your two days touring and I am only sorry I didnt get to meet you - maybe next time! Best wishes Jean and Wayne.