“Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Marlin Motel

Marlin Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Picton
Marlin Motel
You added Marlin Motel to your Saves list
33 Devon Street, Picton, New Zealand   |
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Picton
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stayed at Marlin Motel for one night on the way south. It was average and i thought a little expensive for what it was. The unit was ok but could do with a bit of a make over.
I was arriving late so the owner left the unit unlocked for me which was excellent.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Let me start by saying that I have worked in Hotels and lived in Hotels for over 21 years now. So I have a rough Idea what Motels/Hotels in New Zealand and around the world look like.
This hotel was the first one out of six in the South Island on our anual Motorbike tour.It was with $NZ186.00 for two the most expensive one. Location was handy, Organic tea , soap and TV good.But that's where it all comes to a screeching hold. First the ceiling in unit 15 has asbestos locking cover. I was very concerned as I had it all removed in my place 16 years ago. The furniture is just really bad ,old and should have been replaced twenty years ago. I stripped my bed in the morning to see how old the mattress is.The dirty Mattress cover was from 1990!!!! It was no surprise that I had next day major back problems.Sleeping in a bed like a banana does not help, no back support at all. I felt the springs all night long.The shower is at least 20 years old as well. Once again I replaced one of these showers in my house 15 years ago , because it was worn out. In the living room/kitchen/2nd bedroom you got one wall totally covered in Carpet???!!!
The kitchen is not worth to talk about it. It's old and worn out.
The curtains in this unit are shocking.
I could get on about the sink, heating, general cleanliness,microwave you name it.
This place makes money by having a very good location. It needs some serious overhaul.
This concept of saving money and hoping we get away with it for another year will not work.Management read the signs and do something about it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed in a studio apartment which was quite a small room (compared with our three weeks stays elsewhere). Bad stuff first - furniture and room was quite dated - not something I mind as sometimes retro can be quite charming but this place was a little tired. Some nice touches were the organic soaps and very cosy towels (to management: yes we notice these small things thank you!). The price though should have been 10-20 less than the $120 we paid. Another good thing was the helpfulness of our host - good recommendations for meals and things to see. We would probably stay somewhere else next time...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We drove in, without reservations because we were taking the ferry in the morning. The host was so friendly, the room was large, equipped with kitchen facilities, DVD player and clean bathroom. The owner had a selection of DVD's that we could borrow for free. He also made a great recommendation for a Thai Restaurant that was within walking distance and delicious.

The location was great, easy access from the highway.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Europe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

We stayed here just for 1 night, before taking the ferry to cross from the South Island to the Norh Island.
Picton is quite small (I imagined it would be bigger because of its harbour) and so it is in general a quite and laid back place. This motel is not an exception because it was also quite and laid back. I don't remember it to be as modern and renovated as other places we had been but the overall impression was positive and satisfactory. The unit we had had all necessary to have a good stay, and the owners were also nice, friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again, no issues at all.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Dartford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

Can be summed up in one word - dreadful!

We never got past the check-in : we had rung and rung at reception with no response, and wandered round to try and find someone to no avail. After 20 minutes, the proprietor eventually appeared, and when we said we had been ringing, he got uppity and said that we should have pressed harder on the bell, but of course we had heard it ringing! He then tried to tell us he had only suites left at an exorbitant price, and it was a thoroughly miserable experience (as he was). We decided we didn't want to stay at such a hopeless place, and left.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
SW England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2007

I found the owners very friendly and helpful. I stayed here twice in April 2007 - at start and end of my South Island tour. The rooms I had were very well laid out, well equipped and clean.

I ordered a breakfast to be delivered to my room. It arrived bang on time, piping hot and of superb quality and quantity.

I would definately use this motel again.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Marlin Motel? Share your experiences!