“cute place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 20 Specialty lodging in Picton
Canada
“cute place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

The villa is a backpackers with a lot of character. It does get a little crowded in peak season.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled solo

84 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Northern Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

Travelling from Wellington to the South Island on the ferry you arrive at Picton first and we decided to stop over. The Villa which picks you up from the ferry terminal was the chosen destination. Its quiet but with nice extras such as an outdoor spa pool and a tv in every room. Sky TV was also available in the tv room. The kitchens were spotless and adequately stocked and all in all it was a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed January 2009
Auckland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

This hostel gave me and my friends an anti-climax to our holidays. We had high hopes for this hostel because we needed to spend 2 days here including Christmas Day because the Magicbus do not operate on Christmas Day. Originally, the receptionist, Joanne, was quite nice and friendly. However, we discovered that on the first night, the weather was freezing cold due to the rain although it is summer time, and there was no duvet provided in the room, only a thin piece of blanket. At this point of time, we have already been to Christchurch and Kaikoura. The hostels there still provided duvet even if it is summer time. We do not come from a cold country, so we are not used to the cold. It is not a crime for not providing duvet, we could always request for it. And that is exactly what we did for the second night. However, the staff whom we requested from was not very friendly (this is not Joanne). Her face was with a frown and she did not pass the duvet to my friend in a nice way. I know it was Christmas Day and it was pass office hours for the staff. But they did put up a notice that if we needed assistance we could ring the bell. It's not that we woke them up unreasonably, it was only in the evening, not yet late at night, and we just wanted a duvet for the cold night. That spoiled our Christmas Day and our holiday in Picton. The cold night, and unfriendly staff.

One more thing, we booked this hostel through Magicbus and I was there when the Magicbus personnel made the phone booking for me. I wanted a private room for me and my friends (3 of us in total). However, they only have quad rooms to accommodate us, if we want the whole room to ourselves, we will have to pay for the extra bed. That's reasonable and I was willing to pay, but then Rob from The Villa offered to charge us only for 3 beds. That was nice of him. However, on the day we checked in, we were told that we have to pay for the extra bed because it's Christmas and it's a peak season. I do not know whose decision is this. But I can understand that rationale. What made me unhappy is that we were told that we won't be charged for the extra bed in the first place. Why then was it changed on the day we arrived? They should have told me right from the start I would have willingly paid for it. That's like cheating. Acting nice and then turn back on their words.

But I will be fair, the hostel is not bad. Joanne was helpful in helping us book our activities. That's why I said it's an anti-climax. We had some good impression but was disappointed on the things above.

• Liked — cleanliness, except for the flies
  • Disliked — staff and room service
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
VillaPicton, Owner at The Villa Backpackers Lodge, responded to this review, April 3, 2009
Christmas Day is never easy! Our staff officially have the day off, we try not to have any one check in and advertise that we have a minimal service as our staff love to have a Christmas celebration the same as our guests, they are human too.

Last Christmas started out not so busy and we did try to offer to meet guests needs as much as we could and remain economically viable. Each guest was offered Duvets and sheets on arrival.

Our staff are very disappointed that they are thought of as unfriendly, in their defense I can appreciate how hard it is to maintain a smile after being bombarded with 'stuff' all day long and into the night, after advertising the Villa wasn't completely open with full service. More than 30 people, some without bookings, were checked in on Christmas day ...just to give people somewhere to stay.

I know most of our guests appreciated what our staff put on for them that day to add some Christmas spirit to their stay.

Rob Burn
Owner
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

I loved the Villa. It's probably the nicest Backpacker hostel in New Zealand. Indeed, it's more like a nice B&B. My room was cosy and nicely decorated and the hostel is quiet and homely. The staff are friendly and knowledgeable and can book excursions and advise on things to do (my advice - walk part or all of the Queen Charlotte track). There's a spa pool and a separate TV lounge, and the kitchen is clean and modern, if possibly on the small side. The communal areas are nice and contribute to the overall friendly atmosphere in the hostel. In winter there's a free breakfast and - best of all - free apple crumble in the evenings!! I highly recommend this hostel.

• Liked — Cosy and friendly - and the apple crumble!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2008

We stayed there a few nights and we really enjoyed our stay. The hostel is cosy, clean, quiet. The kitchen is well-equipped, if a little busy at dinner time. There is a nice outdoor area where you can eat. The staff is friendly and helpful. The only downside is that some showers don't always have hot water. Overall, it is a good place for independent travellers.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2008

Just stopped here for one night but could happily have stayed more. As we were on our honeymoon we treated ourselves to the ensuite double which was pretty comfortable, though by no means massive. The staff were happy and friendly, check in was painless despite half a bus of people arriving at once due to the ferry.

Good kitchens and laundry etc made life easy. The Bakkerij next door was a fantastic and tasty bonus too.

Close to everything (picton is small) the Villa was a good choice for us.

• Liked — location and helpful staff
  • Disliked — midges (more the fault of New Zealand in general rather than the Villa!)
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2007

I loved this place! Lovely, friendliest staff ever - and the sweetest dog, Milly, plus you are invited to walk her. If you're a dog lover, it's so much fun to take her out. She loves everyone and everything. The dorms can be a little crowded, but the place is so great it's worth it - and the private rooms are amazing, I'd recommend them. Picton is worth spending an extra night - most people bypass it for Kaikoura or Christchurch, but it's one of the best small towns in NZ for relaxing.

Stayed January 2007

Been to The Villa Backpackers Lodge? Share your experiences!