“Lovely place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Picton
Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

Picton is a small place, but they have quite a few accommodation options. I was on a budget so I decided to give Tombstone a try on account of the positive reviews I'd seen on here. It worked out to be a great choice!
I stayed in a 3 bedroom dorm (which I had to myself on the first night.) The room is simply but handsomely kitted out and was very clean and tidy. It had its own bathroom which was also spotless.
The hostel is located on the edge of town, but Picton is so small it's like a 5 minute walk to main street, so don't worry. Because of the location the hostel is very quiet, which makes for good, peaceful sleeping! The communial ares were tidy, and the small kitchen was well kept and adequate for the size of the place. The lady owner also makes cheese scones for breakfast which are heavenly!
The owners were super nice and helpful, I went out to Nelson for a few days and the let me leave a bag in their office so I didn't have to drag it with me. On my way back, they also gave my travelling companion a lift to the ferry terminal, which saved her having to hump her bag out there by herself, which was very kind.
All up, I highly recommend the hostel. It is clean, friendly, safe, well priced and very pleasant. Solo travellers, couples, small groups and families would all be comfotable here.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

I was staying in Tombstone for 3 nights in December 2010. I stayed in 6 bed mixed dorm with shared facilities. Hostel itself is a bit out of town, but owners are happy to pick you up or give you a lift whenever possible. Rooms are clean, with windows and some have nice terraces. Bunk beds are very solid and mattraces comfortable - so good night sleep is ensured :) Communal area are pleasant, kitchen is comfortable and fully equipped. The owners, Lynne and Gordon are wonderful, extremely helpful and really treat every guest like a family member!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

I stayed here for two nights in between arriving from the US and walking the Queen Charlotte Track and found it very restful. Our private room was comfortable and quiet, and kitchen and lounge facilities were ample and clean. The scones in the morning were a homely touch (and very tasty!). Lynne and Gordon were lovely and helped us get to our water taxi when we left; they were also very easygoing about luggage storage. This is a great place to stay in Picton whether you're there for a while or just passing through - highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

The owners of Tombstone completely bowled us over with their kindness. They went out of their way to help us at every possible moment: when we moved on to a different city, we forgot a bag of food in their fridge. When we called Lynne and asked her if she would send the food along with another traveling who may be going to that city, she said that she was going to drive down to that city anyway, and she insisted on delivering our food directly to our next hostel. Amazing.

On top of that, the hostel itself was wonderful. It had a large and well-stocked kitchen, a reading room with a book exchange, a TV room with lots of DVDs to watch, a pool table, exercise machines, a hot tub, patios for hanging out, lawn chairs for tanning, a hammock, and even an aviary. They also gave us free rides to and from the ferry.

The dorms were a bit of a squeeze, but still lovely - the beds were comfortable, and the rooms were quiet. The bathrooms were clean.

Cannot recommend this hostel enough.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

This is excellent accommodation and a great place to stay while exploring Picton and the Malborough Sounds. The double rooms are located in a modern, comfortable purpose-built block, with sliding doors that lead out onto a verandah and garden, with good views over the town. We appreciated the added extras, which include spa, quality bathrooms, TV room with massive flat screen, pool table, well kitted out kitchen including free cereal and milk, not to mention the warm welcome we received when we arrived.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

This is a smaller backpacking lodgings and while the kitchen and lounge areas are situated in the old villa, the accommodation is set apart in a building that is only 4 years old. The accommodation side of things is spotless. And the lounge/dining/kitchen side of things was amazingly clean considering its a backpackers! I believe this is because the hosts keep a watchful but not overbearing eye on things, they are never far away and this, i feel is a GOOD thing. I loved this place, there werent people everywhere, there were enough people in the over 30 (ok over 40) age bracket to make me feel I belonged. The hosts were just fantastic, you even get homemade, freshly baked cheese scones for breakfast, if you get up early enough you get them straight out of the oven!! This occurs every day! As well as that you get free breakfast (cereal and toast). I liked the showers, roomy and clean. I also liked that this place has a spa pool. It was a nice quiet place to stay and when i was there, there were more couples, families and girls than anything. The walk to town is an easy 10 min one and Lyn and Gordon even pick you up and drop you off upon arrival and departure. They have a piano, birds, and even a couple of cats pop in to say hello. All in all I absolutely LOVED this place, I stayed in the twin share room, so my experience is based on this. Recommend it 10 out of 10.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

Well, where do I start....? I am somewhat confused as this place is a hostel, but it is of hotel quality in the three share room (I have not seen the dorm)! The beds are fully made up and all kitted out in black and white. The curtains are great, they are black and silver and really give the room elegance! There are heated blankets on the bed (wow, that's a first - you are lucky if you get a hot water bottle nornally) and there is also a fluffy white towel (which is great after using a travel towel for so long!), soap and shampoo on your bed when you arrive!

Now, where I am is away from the main part of the hostel (by only a few seconds) and yet they have still thought about the guest when it rains, in that they have ensured that you can walk from your room to the kitchen etc without getting wet!

The kitchen is nicely equipped, with matching crockery! the lounge has a large TV and Sky! Now normally hostels say Sky but only have a few channels, this one has loads of channels! There is also a pool table, a few exercise machines, the spa - the list goes on! And free breakfast in the morning til 9am.

The manager is lovely, as she walks around the hostel she talks to the guests and ensures they are happy with everything, which is really nice when you are backpacking alone. She really does care about her hostel and her guests :)

Oh, and I forgot the shower... these are really powerful and are so, so great! Do not miss staying at this hostel! I feel like I am in a hotel room (and luckily there is no one else in my shared room!).

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Been to Tombstone Backpackers? Share your experiences!