“The best hostel on our trip (so far)” 5 of 5 stars

You added Tombstone Backpackers to your Saves list
Tombstone Backpackers
16 Gravesend Place, Picton 7220, New Zealand   |
Ranked #2 of 20 Specialty lodging in Picton
“The best hostel on our trip (so far)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

During our two night stay we were extraordinarily pleased with the high comfort and exceptional tidy and clean facilities.

The hostel also has a spa and fitness training facilities. The kitchen offers everything you need for proper cooking (however a great fish & chips shop is just a five minute walk).

We had free WiFi and a pick up from the ferry.

A lovely place to stay!

148 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Can not stress enough- this is a perfect backpackers and you should not hesitate before booking- and that, you must do as its so popular and often fully booked.

It had all you could want; free bfast (cereals, toasts, fresh scones, tea and coffee), free wif and communal computer, towels, outdoor spa pool, pool table, tv, quiet reading room, clean kitchen facilities and ensuite, clean rooms of varying sizes. The price is very cheap for what all that is included. Service is top notch too and they provide a transport service to/from the ferry etc though the hostel is very centrally located anyway.

If only all hostels were this good!

Koblenz, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Clean bathrooms and well-equipped kitchen, cosy dining area, very nice and helpful staff,
there is only one hostel in a 1000 being that good!

Extras, such as free wifi and free breakfast were great- the hot spa pool was a nice way to relax in the evening.

The door made me laugh everytime I entered it and the hosts made you feel like being part of the family,
looking forward to coming back there soon!

Stayed there for nearly 3 months as I was working in Picton!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Crossmolina, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

The rooms in Tombstone are small but clean and the spa is real nice. The kitchen and living area are not the cleanest we've seen but they serve the purpose.

Lynn and Gordon let us leave our car over and gave us lifts to/from the boat when we walked the Queen Charlotte.

Palmerston North
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

we stayed for three nights, Lynne and Gordon were really fabulous. Nothing was too much trouble. I just couldn't believe the hospitality. One of the group needed to get to hospital to get an infection on his leg seen too, Lynne was there to get Russ to hospital and then met up with our Wine Tour to carry on the day. Met some great people. Rooms great just what we needed prior to our walk and then on return. The Spa Pool was a welcome indulgence on return from the track. Rooms were great, beds comfortable - Just what we needed - Thanks Lynne and Gordon you are great hosts - Scones are are fab, keep up the great work.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I absolutely loved this place! I spent almost three weeks in New Zealand and this was, by far, the nicest place I stayed. It was right at the end of my travels and I wish I could have spent more time there. If I ever get back to Picton, it will definitely be my first pick for where to stay. It was clean, friendly, well equipped, and definitely the most comfortable place I stayed. Literally across the street from the Bluebridge Ferry Terminal (and easy walking distance from the Interislander), it is also easy walking distance from the wharf and various grocery stores and restaurants. I can't say enough good things about this place. Not of interest to me, but maybe to you...they had a lovely, big common area with a big screen TV (lots of channels), a lovely (very clean) hot tub, and free WiFi and a shared computer in the main building. By the way...if you're preferring "hotel" type accommodation, don't discount this place just because it's a "backpackers"! The "room" I eventually chose was a bit on the expensive side for a "backpackers", but like I said, it was the nicest place I stayed while I was in NZ and it was WAY less than I would have paid for the same level of luxury at a hotel in Picton. Definitely check this place out! Oh yes, and free coffee, cereal and fresh baked biscuits for breakfast...

Room Tip: They have everything from dorms to private suites...it's all good...and I do mean that... it'...