“A wonderful cosy, homely place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

8 Canterbury Street, Picton, New Zealand   |
Ranked #1 of 21 Specialty Lodging in Picton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A wonderful cosy, homely place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed in a double room for one night lovely night on arrival in Picton. The hostess Nikki was so welcoming and even treated us to some fire juggling in the evening! The kitchen and living room couldnt be more homely and the garden is great for relaxing. Only a short walk from town, couldnt recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Lytham St Annes, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here in February for two nights before getting the ferry to Wellington. It really is a lovely little place to stay & I would recommend it to anyone. The beds were incredibly comfortable and the place just felt like home. Everyone was friendly & sociable especially the owner Nikki. Where in the world do you find a hostel where you can have a hot bath outside under the stars, pick herbs from the garden to put in your tea & get to wear cute little slipper boots while you're there? We loved every minute staying here and I hope others can visit & enjoy it as much as we did.

• Stayed February 2013
Berkeley, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

My brief stay at Jugglers Rest left me hoping I can return some day.

My Sweetie and I heard about Jugglers Rest via the raves of a fellow traveler we met the night before. We stayed there the night of May 1st, 2013 before catching an early ferry the next morning. There were just a few guests on this off-season week night, so I didn't get to experience the synergy that I'm sure develops often with guests making music, juggling, hooping, spinning, and unicycling. But Nikki and Bruce made us feel right at home by their warm fire, opened their ample kitchen to us, regaled us with Jugglers Rest history, and brought out a sweet steel-stringed guitar for me to pluck on. (If Bruce doesn't feel like playing guitar don't badger him, but he's a fine musician!)

The hospitable hearth at the end of a long drive had a fairytale quality. For you visitors obsessed with Lord of the Rings, I was reminded a bit of the Shire though no one there resembled a hobbit.

Finally, Bruce was quick with a band-aid when I cut my finger.

Check out Jugglers rest. Do as I say, not as I did: leave yourself ample time to experience it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I had always dreamed of finding a hostel like this. A beautifully restored historic villa surrounded by amazing gardens. The hosts, Nikki and Bruce, couldn't have been more welcoming or friendly. I was amazed to find an organic vege and herb garden and numerous fruit trees. The bathrooms and Kitchen are the best appointed and, more importantly, cleanest I have found in ANY hostel in ten years or travel. I found it a perfect place to relax and unwind after a 19 day tramp, a hammock in the sun for the day and a cosy fire at night.

One focus of this hostel is about sustainability which is to be commended in my view. So many hostels these days are financially driven with no thought given to the environmental aspects. The owner, Nikki, embraces sustainability with open arms. Thank you, and keep it up!

I had the best nights sleep I have enjoyed in a number of months and the breakfast is a must!

In the evening there was a fire show with a number of talented performers who happened to be staying. Nikki amazed me with her Poi and fire hoop, the photo's just don't do it justice! I took a number of photos but the Tibetan prayer flag sums this hostel up beautifully.

I know I will be back again, with this place as a destination rather than just somewhere to stop along the way

Room Tip: Either share room is sweet, three beds in one, four in the other. No bunks! :-) The double I glanced...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This is a good place for backpackers, and I can imagine it must be perfect if you're travelling alone. It's a very social place, you always meet nice people in the different "relax areas". Clean and cozy rooms, very friendly and helpful staff, nice and well equipped kitchen, good location.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Poulsbo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We spend two nights at Jugglers Rest and enjoyed ourselves greatly. Nikki is amazing - super friendly and accommodating to everyone - very engaging with the young ones too! The kitchen facilities are very nice--with all utensils and even some great spices, olive oils, etc. to use. We stayed in one of the double "cabins," which are cleverly converted containers - but nicely done and very comfortable. Sharing one of the many bathrooms is very easy and convenient. We didn't need to do laundry, but that looked to be easy as well. Nikki was very helpful getting us confirmed for a dolphin swim, and even put our "lost" luggage into our cabin when it arrived. Really can't say enough good things about this nice spot.

Room Tip: As mentioned above, we stayed in one of the "private, double cabins" and it was nicely don...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Nikki was an absolutely brilliant host who on top of, giving us tips and advice on getting around, food deals, discount coupons, is a beautiful fire Poi dancer and her performance was simply beautiful. It also has a nicely decorated and comfortable lounge, clean bathrooms, comfortable beds and it really feels like a home away from home. Will definitely be back here if i visit South NZ again.
P.S. Really impressed by the hand drawn maps and the menus of various eateries all prepared and available for reference in the lounge. My favourite backpacker among the 21days spent in NZ
P.P.S. You got to try the Picton Village bakery too!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Jugglers Rest Backpackers? Share your experiences!