“Fabulous Blue Cod Fish & Chips” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 19 restaurants in Akaroa
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, International, New Zealand
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Bully Hayes Restaurant & Bar, Akaroa's Premier Dinning Spot. Open year round, seven days for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner or just a casual drink or coffee in the sun. Enjoy the spectacular panoramic views of Akaroa Harbour whilst you dine from any number of our indoor or outdoor dining areas. Sheltered garden area with childrens play area also. Specialising in comtempory New Zealand cuisine using fresh local produce with a mix of traditional and modern flavours. An extensive menu with alarge selection of seafood including freshly shucked oysters. Innovative and award winning cuisine all at prices to suit any budget. To compliment our dining menu we carry the" Monteiths" range of craft beers on tap and by the bottle along side an all embracing wine list and non alcoholic beverage menu.
Vancouver, Washington
“Fabulous Blue Cod Fish & Chips”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stopped here for lunch on my drive around Akaroa. Bully Hayes looked fairly busy at lunch hour (always a good sign). I had their special: Chatham Island Blue Cod Fish & Chips. This meal was the best fish & chips I have ever had (and I am in my 60's!). Three large fillets came with golden, paper-thin batter (like tempura batter) and the fish was absolutely perfectly cooked (wonderfully moist, just right and flaking apart). A nice cold, draft Monteith's Original Ale was the icing on this cake. I cannot praise the Bully Hayes chef enough. This was simply superb: the best I've ever had! (And as a fish biologist who eats fish frequently, I know my fish dishes ... this was truly the best!). Thank you folks, for an unforgettable dining experience with you!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

73% Recommend
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Nice flavours, sadly overcooked food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Have dined here a few times previously and always quite enjoyed the food, unfortunately this time was a little different. I had the scallop entree and the scallops were overcooked, although the flavours of the puree and blood sausage were lovely. my partner had tempura oysters although the batter didnt look much like a tempura batter he said they tasted fine.
My main was the smoky lamb, one medallion was overcooked and while the other one was cooked perfectly half of it was fat. My partner had the monkfish and it also was overcooked. Steamed vegetables were barely steamed. Most dishes were covered in kumara crisps which isn't very inventive?

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Great location and good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I had a few coffees during the day time and it was nice a relaxing and in the evening I had a lovely meal. Staff were friendly and service pretty quick.

Visited August 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Sell up and change your choice of business”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Myself and my girlfriend were hoping for a quick light meal before heading home...however what we got was a surly Manager and terrible food and service.
After my girlfriend was served Venison so over-cooked it couldn't be identified I took the meal back and politely asked them to re-cook it which they did and when the meal returned to the table all looked fine until going through the salad every piece of the blue cheese on the plate was found to be old enough to have been on the Ark ...upon talking to the waiter I said I wasn't happy and wouldn't be paying for her meal, the manager was called and I explained the issue and another which had arisen during our wait for her which was a dirty and stained napkin(yes you read that right they left a DIRTY napkin on a table for ANOTHER customer to RE-USE!!!)...at no point was an apology offered and after having to make a bigger issue than was really required the meal was subtracted from our bill...DISGUSTING AND UNFORGIVABLE is all I can say....I was a Chef for 13 years and NEVER would have charged a customer for a meal had this happened AND I (as the Chef) would have come and apologized myself for such a mistake...I hope my call to the Dept of Health makes you buck up your ideas

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Gladstone
“Lovely place to dine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

While staying in Akaroa we went for afternoon tea at Bully Hayes as my daughter and I had read the menu on the board outside while walking one day and really wanted to go there. It was a wet and windy day so it was lovely to go inside to the nice warm atmosphere, would love to eat out on the sidewalk on a fine day. The food was great on everyones account (family of six). The boys had burgers, girls had fries and we had hot chocolates and dessert. It wasnt a cheap restaurant but we felt it was definately worth the cost of the meals as it was so lovely and the staff were very good.

• Visited July 2013