“blue penguins” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Zoos & Aquariums
cardiff
“blue penguins”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

great we got so close in daylight and the guide was knowledgable and friendly

ne england
38 attraction reviews
“first rate penguin viewing, penguins guaranteed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

This small operation has been the highlight of our wildlife experiences in NZ. Penguins everywhere, babies in nests, parents swimming and on land. The guides showed us their bay, and helped us view without upsetting the birds. We also saw oyster catchers, shags, ducks, geese. Great respect for the wildlife. Check departure times at tourist information as they may vary from the times on the website

Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
“Do not miss this if you like nature and little penguins”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

I almost missed this tour because it was on the owners sheep farm and sounded like visiting a zoo. It turned out to be a very informative and exciting trip over the mountain and the little penguins nested in boxes which we took the covers off to look and also nested in the native grasses and even next to her house. Very noisy at night. . They let you hike around and give the little lambs milk. They also have other trips offered by canoe and hiking and camping on the farm. The cruise ship special rate was about $55.U.S,D and $30.00 for childrren. We paid at the Akaroa information center. The tour is about 2 hours.

Visited October 2011
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Special place, special people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

We had a great time at the Pohatu penguin sanctuary while staying at Akaroa. It's a small, family-run place that organises penguin and seal-watching tours with sea-kayaking as an option. It's a great day or half day. You'll probably see more fauna going to some of the large-scale concerns elsewhere in New Zealand, but with Pohatu you really feel that you are participating in eco-tourism, in that the money you spend on your trip is contributing to supporting a private, thriving nature reserve. Fantastic scenery and views of Akaroa and Banks Peninsula too!

Edmonton, Canada
“WOW WOW WOW, AMAZING Pohatu Penguin Tour!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

My experience doing the Overnight Pohatu Penguin Tour was incredible! I have done a lot of travelling and my few days at Flea Bay tops the list of amazing travel experiences. They came to Akoroa and picked me up at the information centre at 12:30pm and took me on the very scenic drive to their property at Flea Bay. I wanted to do a hike so they dropped me off at the top of the valley and I went on a 2 hour solo hike where I saw many beautiful waterfalls and had a great hike through New Zealand’s forest. The hike ended at the Flea Bay Cabins (3 if them) where they had already dropped my bags off. I had a few hours after that to explore, swim and enjoy the bay. Then at 6:30pm I met with Francis (property owner and conversationalist) and another penguin lover to do the evening penguin tour. I loved seeing Francis’s passion for the sea life in the bay. Shireen and Francis are extremely considerate and respectful of the penguins, seals and dolphins.
After the tour I spent and hour or so sitting on the beach where we watched the penguins rolling in on the tide. The next morning Shireen took me sea kayaking, we saw many penguins, seals and the best part was the Hector dolphins swimming around us. The cost of everything was $120, well worth it!!! Then, at about noon they took us back into Akoroa. The weekend was very quiet, personal, educational and just an amazing New Zealand experience.