“Really Up Close” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 19 Activities in Akaroa
Type: Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the fantastic coastline around Akaroa in a spacious and comfortable Kauri launch. Local skipper, Tony, takes small groups to view the amazing wildlife,including penguins,dolphins, fur seals, and spectacular rock formations and sea caves.Terrific photo opportunities!
florida, usa
23 attraction reviews
“Really Up Close”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Business is booming in Akaroa since the earthquake in Christchurch. There are many choices now to tour the harbor, and we chose Coast Up Close.
There's a lot to like about Coast Up Close, but a couple of disappointments. Let me start with the negatives. Tony, the skipper, has no mates and no help. He pushes off, steers, and gives the tour by his lonesome. Much of the time you will be drifting, with nobody at the wheel. We came close to hitting a stone wall when a 12 year old kid said " Tony, I think we're too close to that stone wall." Tony grabbed the wheel and steered out of danger.
Secondly, there is no PA system. When I questioned Tony about it, he said he would rather give information on a personal basis, but unfortunately, unless you are within 6' of him, you won't hear it. I'd rather hear everything he has to say over a PA.
But you will get in close to the action. You will see seals, you will see dolphins, and Tony has a sharp eye for birds in the area. The boat is small, so it won't be overcrowded. In addition, Tony is rather personable, and just seems like a nice guy.
I think you would be better off with Tony than on a large boat like the Black Cat. Also, you will spend 2.5 hours in the harbor instead of 2 hours with the big boats. Keep in mind, though, that the bigger boats are faster, which may explain the 1/2 hour difference.
Whatever you choose, Akaroa harbor is a nice place to spend a few hours.

Visited December 2013

Sutter Creek, California
“See my review of Coast up Close under Akaroa forum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I wrote a review under the Akaroa forum and don't know how to transfer it to this forum. You will love this nature cruise because the skipper is so personable and knowledgeable

Visited December 2013
“Personal Taylorism”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

We booked a group of 20 for our work do. Tony is a fantastic skipper who gave us plenty of options and we all had a fantastic experience. No complaints just lots of praise. Brilliant option! Thanks T

Bennekom
“Great wildlife cruise with Coast up Close and skipper Tony”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Everything we expected to see we saw. Tony did his very best and told us a lot about the wildlife, the scenery and history of Akaroa

Visited November 2013
“Amazing memories to last a lifetime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I've been living in Scotland for over 8 years now and in that time I have seen my family only twice. On this second trip back it was on my to do list to do some fishing trips with my Dad in particular as it was always a highlight of my childhood (I'm 37 now) and our "daddy/daughter time" to bond.
It was a whirlwind decision to go to Akaroa the next day and after my father searched up charter fishing boats on google, came across Tony's boat. We managed to book in the night before for an fishing cruise the next afternoon and we could not have asked for a better experience.
Tony was a fantastic host from the outset making us feel safe and welcome on his wonderful, super clean and beautiful boat. I felt like a wee kid again all tittering and excited with the smells and sound of the boat! I think my mum was the same! Kept getting huge contented sighs and s**t eating grins out of her ;)
Weather was absolutely spot on too. Sunny, clear with just a nice breeze.
Tony knew the area really well showing us the best scenic views and the local wildlife. He knew exactly where and how to get the Kahawai were were fishing for and every time we stopped to cast a lure we hooked a fish. Even for the total amateur this is an amazing fishing experience because the Kahawai really give you a good fight! Catch and release is probably the best option though we took a couple home to smoke and eat later on.
He showed us some wonderful caves right up near the Akaroa heads, and we managed to see some penguins and other local birdlife , huge jellyfish, and even got to see some hector's dolphins which I really was hoping for.
I really could not recommend Coast up close enough as a wonderful addition to holiday makers, cantabrian day trippers, possibly even for work team building.
Thankyou SOOO much Tony, really made a wonderful family memory for us all to cherish :D

Totally braw! ;) (amazing)