“L'Abri - Excellent in every way” 5 of 5 stars

L'Abri
7 Takamatua Bay Road | RD1, Akaroa 7581, New Zealand   |
Ranked #3 of 27 Akaroa B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“L'Abri - Excellent in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We only had one day in Akaroa but Jane's warm and welcoming hospitality, her beautiful home and gardens and excellent breakfast had us wanting to stay for much, much longer.

L'Abri deserves all the 5-star reviews it gains. This is somewhere very special.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Christchurch, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I was very disappointed in the condition of my accommodation, described as luxurious, which it most certainly was not. The appliances were old, inefficient, noisy and not cleaned properly. The location of the bach was noisy and hot with no double glazing or ventilation. It seemed tired in contrast to the accommodation up at the house. The owner was fairly ungracious and sarcastic towards me when I expressed my disappointment and tried to burden me with excuses for the issues raised. I do not think that this was her intention, however, I was appalled at her attitude towards a paying guest.There was some attempt to accommodate me at the house, however at this point, I really just wanted to leave. I would hope by now, that a plumber has fixed the tap which was not working when I arrived or was fixed for the duration of my stay. An very expensive two nights. The only redeeming features were the efforts the owner had gone to providing a very comfortable bed and her delicious home baking baking. The garden was most attractive, even if I could not enjoy sitting out in it due to the noise of neighbouring farmers, chainsawing trees for hours. In fact, I had to drive into town to get some tranquility.

Room Tip: ensure that you have good ventilation and that if you want a tranquil setting, ask more question bef...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
takamatua, Owner at L'Abri, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
At L'abri we give guests a choice of accommodation they would like. For the more budget conscience there is a garden cottage. Priced at $180 per night it is cosy,comfortable and convenient. It is not marketed as luxurious. Since Fiona had stayed here nearly a year ago the fixtures in the cottage have been upgraded. These include; a new fridge/freezer, induction cook top, electric fry pan, pots and pans, microwave, bed settee, bed comforter and free wifi connection.
Guests choose the cottage as they prefer to prepare their own breakfast with the ingredients we provide and often have this, sitting in the garden or on the small terrace. There is usually plentiful bird life to listen to and the aroma of many flowers to enjoy.
In the main house we offer luxurious accommodation with more personalised service priced at $245 per night.
I am very sorry that there was an obvious misunderstanding regarding the accommodation and my manner. I had no intention to be rude and am very sorry that it obviously came across in that manner. It is my only wish for everyone to come to L'abri and have a very positive experience, to leave feeling happy and relaxed.
It was a Sunday that Fiona came to stay. One of the taps had broken but there wasn't a way to get a plumber to come to fix this until the new working week. I had tried. The cottage has windows that open on all 4 sides, including a ranch slider.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed in Jane's b&b with my dad during our trip around the south island. The property has a breath-taking view from the huge veranda over Akaroa harbour to the wild country on the far shore. The site was chosen by Jane with great care and skill. The accommodation is of the highest standard, the bedrooms are beautifully furnished with great attention given to every detail. As to the breakfast, we had eggs benedict using eggs fresh from the hens running free in a portion of the garden, fresh bread and superb filter coffee. We would not visit the south island without stopping at Akaroa and Jane's b&b.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Clare, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Had 3 nights after arriving from Australia. Accommodation was excellent, true 5 stars. Jane's little touches and attention to detail, beautiful breakfasts and superb views of the bay from our deck made our experience very special. Thank you Jane

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Cromwell, Otago. New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed at L'Abri for one night only, but will certainly return as soon as possible. The house is new, beautifully presented, and absolutely spotless. Jane's breakfast was superb, especially the home-made meusli! The chickens are friendly, and wander all around the extensive gardens. Three friendly cats made us feel just like home! View fantastic. Highly recommended. Looking forward to returning.
Bonnie Miller Perry.

Room Tip: Both rooms are beautiful, and enjoy spectacular views and amenities. Both have private bathrooms. Th...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My partner and I decided at the last minute to go to Akaroa for the weekend, and it just so happened L'abri was available. Swayed by the gorgeous views and the promise of a luscious breakfast and friendly cats, we booked a room rather than the cottage. Due to some glitch in the computer system, I received an email saying that "This is not a booking confirmation", but Jane herself called me to confirm that indeed she was expecting us. That was only but the first of few very thoughtful attentions that we were graced with.

We were greeted by my name written on the blackboard in the entrance (and later, Jane added my partner's name just to be fair), and we were soon escorted to our room. The property is very recent (3-4 years old) and beautifully planned to provide optimum views as well as maximum privacy in the rooms. I couldn't resist posting a picture to Facebook right away and making plenty of jealous friends in the process (3G works fine here, just like anywhere else). The view in the main living space is especially breathtaking, as the entire back wall is essentially a large window / patio door.

The room is beautifully decorated, luxurious and plush, with down comforters, ample pillows and electric blankets. With its double-glazed windows and wall heater, the room is plenty warm, but mindful of our comfort, Jane provided an additional heater just in case. In the room there is a kettle with tea and coffee, and amazing homemade buttery walnut cookies made by Jane from her own walnut trees. We spent the evening playing with Jane's two cats (who were fighting each other for our attention), and sitting around the fire talking until it was time to make our dinner reservation in town.

If you enjoy your privacy and want to save some money, you may be tempted to go for the cottage option, which comes with a continental breakfast. However, I strongly suggest you book a room, if only for the feast that will be bestowed upon you the following morning. Besides, I truly think it is a profitable option, as you will be so full you will not need a lunch later on! We started with a glass of orange juice and tea / coffee, a warm croissant, and yogurt, fruit salad and Jane's homemade muesli and tamarillo preserves. I am not usually a muesli person, but the irresistible toasted almonds and coconut had me reaching for seconds. Then, we each had a delicious egg breakfast, chosen from a gut-wrenching choice of 5 delicious-sounding options, and lovingly made with Jane's own free-range eggs. We even got to see the hens themselves later to thank them in person.

All in all, we had an impeccable treat of a weekend, and most of all we were delighted to get better acquainted with Jane, an extremely attentive host and very resourceful woman. We would highly recommend L'abri B&B and would definitely come stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

As mentioned above, this was my wife and my first experience in a BnB and we couldn't have asked for more. From when we first arrived, Jane was an exceptional host.

The accommodation was beautifully presented with stunning views of the harbour and her well landscaped section, which included her free range hens. The room was well set out with it's own bathroom, couch and tv, the bed was super comfy and it was spotless.

Probably one of the highlights for us was the breakfast. pretty much everything was home made and was delicious.

We wouldn't hesitate to recommend L'Abri, probably one of our most memorable nights accommodation.

Regards Anna and Neil

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to L'Abri? Share your experiences!