“Awful treatment - Avoid if possible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Terrace Central B&B Hotel

You added Terrace Central B&B Hotel to your Saves list
Terrace Central B&B Hotel
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   79-85 South Terrace, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160, Australia   |
Ranked #10 of 23 Fremantle B&B and Inns
Sao Paulo, SP
“Awful treatment - Avoid if possible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

The hysterical receptionist/owner was first very upset after being waken up at 1:30. He couldn't find my booking, had no spare room for my dad (I live in Perth) and didn't show any skills in managing the whole situation. At some point I stopped arguing and took my poor dad home (who was just arriving from a 3 day flight). But that was not the end of the story...

I made the booking online two months ahead, clearly stating the arrival date and time. Something must have happened with my booking or there was a misunderstanding because the receptionist/owner kept on insisting I had made the booking for the following day. I first asked him if I could cancel my booking and he refused so I went back the following day for a second try. He insisted in arguing and showing how wrong I was and I kindly asked him to stop and just give my dad his room. This simple request made him furious, he insulted me, calling me an "ignorant" and asked me to "leave his property". I asked him for a refund, received it and left, telling him I was going to write this review. I hope you can avoid such a situation!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Terracecentral, Owner at Terrace Central B&B Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2010
This guest had made a booking on-line for the 13th October, he arrived at At 1.30am on the 13th when my web site clearly states check-in after 2pm.
his comment was.".I should be able to check-in any time after midnight" he was not interested that the guest from the previous day would not check out till 10am.
I explained that the Hotel was fully booked and that I had no room available.

When he returned the next day he was still angry and agressive, I showed him on my web site and his booking confirmation that check-in was after 2pm on the arrival date. He still insisted that he should be able to arrive at any time he pleased. At this time I said that he was obviously unaware of standard Hotel reservation and arrival procedures, he then told me i was insulting. I offered a full refund which he accepted.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Wheatbelt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

This B&B hotel is very well equipped, clean, quiet and very hospitable. The staff are unobtrusive and willing to assist with any request. It is situated in the main shopping and dining precinct in Fremantle, within walking distance of the harbour and the train station. Buses pass by the front door. I can recommend the Terrace for a long or short svisit. Call or email Barry and I know you will have a great stay in Fremantle

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Perth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

My lovely husband and I planned to stay at Terrace Central for our honeymoon. We had really looked forward to a proper time-out from all the wedding planning, just the two of us having a romantic few days in the heart of Fremantle, after such a grand occasion.

On our wedding night, we took a taxi all the way from Armadale to Fremantle, with expectations and hopes for a calm and relaxing stay at the B&B. Because we were arriving late in the night, we were promised by Mr White that our room key was located in the lock box in the car park. When we arrived, we spent at least 15 mins trying to figure out where this lock box was! It was freezing, I was wearing a little red dress, shivering to get inside asap. My husband running around the building, trying to get us in! close to giving up, after nearly 25 mins of running around the building, knocking on doors and ringing bells, we found the lock box which was not located in the car park as promised, but on the street door to the B&B. I punched in the code given, but hey, no bloody key! Finally someone came to the door, and let us in. Gave us our key and showed us our room. No warm welcome here for the bride and groom either. After being showed to our room, the lady disappeared into thin air, leaving us in a damp, smelly room, with no clue of how to get in contact with her. What was her name anyway? No clue.

We stood there for a bit, trying to warm up from the freezing cold. The room was damp and smelly, it was pretty and all, but the black doona covers with the white stains was a real turn off. Even the pillows had stains. By this time I was close to tears after our wonderful ceremony, long drive and late night. My husband and I were trashed. We could not help but notice the layer of dust in the corners of the room, and on the glass shelf. I was tempted to write something witty like what people write on the back of dirty cars - this was not funny at all though. We were at least expecting to get a clean room, aired out and fresh covers!

After about 20 mins in the room, we packed our bags and left a note in the room, explaining the situation and our dislike of the filthy room. Honestly, they KNEW this was our wedding night, and very special to us like any other newlywed couple. We made that clear to them upon booking the B&B a few months in advance.

Off home again we went, spending over $120.00 on taxi fares back and forth on our very special night. To be honest, I was just happy to come home to my own filth than someone else’s, and have a warm cuppa tea. Our honeymoon plans had been flushed down the toilet.

We called the B&B the next day, telling the girl on the phone that we wanted our money back, and that we didn´t even sleep there. She said the manager would call the next day to help us.

Monday afternoon, Mr White calls my mobile. Telling me that I am exaggerating about the room, laughing at the end of his sentences. I asked him about the key which was missing, and he explained that the missing key was his fault, and said the girl stayed up all night to let us in, trying to guilt-trip us for his silly mistake. He even agreed to the white stains on the black doona covers, but still wanted to convince us that they were clean and only a month old, digging his own hole even bigger. No apology still for our lost honeymoon, as we had no time to replan our few days off together. We asked for our money back for the three nights, and the taxi fair at least for the emotional distress. He laughed at us and said that he´d only give us money back for the two nights. He claimed the room was thoroughly clean, and as he was away off in Bali when all this happened, as if to justify what had happened. He was rude, offensive and horrible on the phone. As my husband and I tried to pick up the pieces of our honeymoon, we were met with rude behaviour and bad manners.

At the end of all this we threatened to go to the Fremantle Herald with our story if he didn´t pay up. After hanging up on my father, he called back and said that he had refunded the three nights to our credit card. I have been in tears over this whole situation, and why it had to drag out and end up so nasty, when this is supposed to be the most romantic time in a newlywed’s life. What a horrible, sad man to treat us the way he did.

Right now this is personal; we lost our romantic honeymoon and were treated like crap, when all we wanted was an apology and understanding. But we still have each other with a few rented dvd´s here at home, having a cosy time. We would rather be at home than in such a cold hearted place. He could have made this so easy, but after his horrible display of customer service we unfortunately see no other way to rectify this but to go to the newspapers and let our story be heard and hopefully no one else books this place for a romantic get-a-way and gets horribly disappointed.

X
Newlyweds

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Terracecentral, Owner at Terrace Central B&B Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2010
Normaly I would not respond to a guest review as they are the reviewer's personal views.

However when there is such a blatant fabrication of truth and fact, then I must answer.

I am the owner/manager of Terrace Central [12 years] this is not just my business it is my passion. I have been 12 years in this industry and love it.
First I must apologise to Mr and Mrs Larsen [as I did by phone immediately] for the problem with key collection. As the guests were arriving after our closing time I made arrangements to leave the key in my locked box. as I was away from the premises I left instructions with the night manageress to do this. However entirely my fault, I did not give her sufficient training on operation of the lock box so she could not safely leave the key. Instead she remained on duty to wait for their arrival [1.30 am] when they rang the night bell she checked them into the room.

This property is 4 star rated by AAA tourism and has been inspected this year.

The room has air-conditioning plus an electric heater with romantic imitation log fire and could not have been damp; it was occopied the day before. As I explained to Mrs Larsen the new doona cover and decorative cushion [not pillow] had one or two small white marks from a previous guest splashing some hair bleach on them, very minor and as the doona had white pattern as well hardly noticable, I explained I would not dispose of it for such a minor defect as it was less than a month old, as with all my linen it was professionally laundered and ironed.

When I telephoned Mrs Larsen she was very emotional and abusive but I listened to her complaint and appologised for my mistake with the key delivery.
She demanded a refund and of course I agreed, she continued the abuse saying the room was filthy. this is when I told her she was exagerating.
Her Father then took the phone and started shouting abuse at me for upsetting his daughter,
using threatening and bad language. I do not accept this type of behaviour and terminated the call.
I then called Mrs Larsen back to inform her that the total amount had been credited to her credit card. She then demanded I pay her Taxi expenses and if I did not she would go to the papers, I informed her I would not respond to threats and could do no more for her.
I am proud of my property and welcome any inspection regarding condition and cleanliness.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

We loved this hotel. Everything was thoughtfully catered for from the delightful decor, bools & DVDs to the free internet and the provisions for breakfast. The location was just perfect with its cloe proximity to the hub of Fremantle. The corner looked busy,but our room was quiet and private.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
south wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

Great place to stay, just a 2 minute walk from the freo markets. the lady who was running it (owner maybe) was fantastic, friendly and helpful. Room was pristine and clean. We had a great value price and couldnt believe how amazing it was when we turned up. Continetal B'fast was huge! Have recommended it to my parents and cant wait to stay again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Terracecentral, Owner at Terrace Central B&B Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review us...we have tried to be Quirky and different and Friendly is easy! Best regards Barry,cristina,aladdin.
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2009

LOCATION:
It's on one of the main roads in Fremantle, opposite the hospital and with a bus stop outside so quite convenient. It is possible to walk downtown if so inclined and parking in Fremantle is costly and hard to get. The area is flat so good for walking. There is no greenery in the area aside from the odd tree though so it is somewhat stark.

FRONT OF HOUSE SERVICE:
They ask for your arrival time when you book to ensure availability. It's also necessary to buzz in on arrival at the front door (which is on the corner) and someone will greet you to check you in. The person who met us explained everything clearly, and showed us around to the key locations of the building. A dog was also there to greet us and wandered around the premises which was nice, but perhaps to be mindful of for allergies.

Internally, the property is a little like a rabbit warren with passages to dffierent rooms and exits throughout the building.

Unfortunately, although the room was unoccupied after us, our request before checking out for a slightly later check out by 1 hour was refused for the reason of the cleaner's availability. Although possible, you would think cleaners would be there for all rooms for more than an hour and it would be possible to reshuffle if the motivation was there. However, the refusal appeared to be a matter of course.

ROOMS:
You reserve your specific room when you make the booking, as they have diferent configurations and prices. The room allocated was different from that booked, and it was not stated why. However, it appeared to be an older, basic bedroom with bathroom attached. It wasn't flash, and was somewhat dim due to its location, and the security screen and curtains taking more light away, but it had all the basics and was a decent size.

The bathroom just had a shower, which had a decent head height, and the rest of the facilities were in good condition though it was quite a tight space.

AMENITIES:
Car parking around the back is included although can be a little cramped as it is shared with other tenants of the area.

Internet terminals with a printer are available and included as well, which is a nice touch, although with time restrictions. A DVD library is also available for the DVD player in your room.

There are no other facilities included.

DINING: A reasonable breakfast is included, with a few choices, and available in a separate breakfast room.

No other dining facilities are available, although Fremantle has many within walking distance.

OVERALL:
A reasonable experience, nothing flash, but was the best available for the situation. Unfortunately, Fremantly is fairly limited in accommodation so even though not great for value compared to other destinations, choice is limited so the charges are higher.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
western australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

Great thing about the accommodation was the centrality to shops, restaurants, pubs. Nice clean apartment with very large bedrooms. Was very happy with our stay until discovering in my rush to leave, I had unfortunately left a very expensive pair of jeans in the bathroom cabinet. After calling the hotel & advising them of this, I asked if they could post them to me & I would pay for postage. i was advised to send them an email & they would follow it through, which I did. To date, i have heard nothing. Very disappointing indeed, indicating a need for better public relations and perhaps better screening of their cleaners. When you stay somewhere, and leave something behind (never done it before), you would like to think your possessions are cared for.. not even an apology ! Will not be staying here again for this reason.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Been to Terrace Central B&B Hotel? Share your experiences!