“A no-no for women travellers” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Norfolk Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fremantle
Norfolk Hotel
You added Norfolk Hotel to your Saves list
47 South Terrace, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160, Australia   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Fremantle
Melbourne
“A no-no for women travellers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

I chose the Norfolk Hotel because it was close to the conference I was attending and besides, I did not want to stay in a large hotel. As some of the reviewers pointed out, the primary business of the Norfolk Hotel is pub and staff (although friendly) sadly lack skills and training to look after the hotel guests. Among the major cons for me were: steep set of stairs leading to the accommodation part and lack of elevator; having to access the room either through a noisy and crowded bar or through a rather empty car park; music blaring downstairs till early hours of the morning; and not having room service (you can order your meal at the bar and take it to your room, but don't forget those stairs! plus there are at least 3 sets of doors to open whilst balancing your plates and drinks before you get to your room. With all due fairness though, a lovely barmaid send one of the waiters - a very nice and obliging young man - to help me carry my dinner up the stairs, but only after I asked for some help). Besides, on my first night there, a fight broke out just outside my window at around 2 a.m., seemingly between some of the patrons leaving the pub. This was enough persuasion for me to try and find alternative accommodation the next day, although sadly, all decent-looking places in the area were booked out. On the upside, food was delicious and the room was very clean but basic (and definitely not worth the $150 price tag!). Overall though, a definite no-no for women travelling on their own!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Alice Springs
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

We stayed here for 5 nights just to try and have a relaxing break round Fremantle. The rooms are modern, clean and bright and have air con etc. There are quite a few stairs and no lift which makes it difficult with heavy baggage. The whole problem with the accommodation here is that the Norfolk Hotel is first and foremost a popular bar and the guests staying there are given no consideration. The bar itself is great, lovely courtyard and great food but loud music is played each night until midnight and 1am on weekends. When I say loud I mean very loud! One of the bar speakers was right underneath our room (Rm 2) and the bar staff also like to turn this on at 8am when they arrive at work. There has been no attempt to protect guests from the noise below, rooms are not double glazed and speakers are positioned under guests rooms! We would never stay here again even though the rooms are quite good value and the location is great. The noise is just too annoying and definitely too much to sleep through.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

My mother and I stayed at the Norfolk Hotel immediately following the renovations, I think we were probably the first guests to check-in on their reopening day. They still hadn't quite finished refurbishing the room (no curtains - though they put coverings at the window) so they gave us a voucher for a free bottle of wine for the inconvenience which we swapped for a pizza as we are non-drinkers. When I went to order the pizza at the bar, they offered to bring it to the room and it was delicious pizza! The hotel is in an excellent location, right near the market, prison and a short walk to other Fremantle attractions. Disadvantages are that it has shared bathroom facilities (though you do have a sink in the room) it can be noisy with the bar/club downstairs and to the best of my knowledge it has no-aircon so it would be hot in warmer months. The rooms are lovely and clean, though small, but very comfortable. Free wifi internet (slow), you just need to go to the office to get the day's username and password. There is no elevator to the accommodation floor so no good for someone with mobility issues. We had fairly heavy suitcases but both on check-in and check-out, staff offered to help with our luggage. The staff in all cases were lovely to deal with, they really seem to care about their customers. I would definitely stay here again when in Fremantle.

• Stayed August 2009
Thunder Bay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

The rooms were renovated 3 weeks ago and are beautiful, clean and comfy. Basic amenities. The location is excellent with close proximity to cafes and shops (1 minute walk). The major drawback for us was the location of the rooms. It's above a popular pub! Music booming at all hours. Great place but beware of the noise. Free internet available in the rooms.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

My husband and I arrived into Fremantle on his 32nd birthday. We were at the start of a backpacking adventure around Asia and Australia, Fremantle was our first stop.

We arrived at The Norfolk after a long flight only to find it looked a dump from the outside! I couldn't control my laughter as the place looked like it was about to fall down! Outside lights smashed and the rendering falling off the external walls. The guy transferring us from Perth airport advised me that it was just an old building and that Perth people liked to keep things "quaint". Quaint I can understand but this wasn't quaint this was a pure maintenance issue! Fawlty Towers sprung to mind!!

We decided to give the place a chance seeing as we'd already made our reservation 8 months earlier by email. Upon arriving the reception area was not too bad but I just had a bad feeling that all was not well. When we gave our name in we were told that they had never heard of us and had no reservation for our stay. I took out the confirmation email print out I had with me when I was then informed by the receptionist that she had found the email but had not booked the room.

We were told that they had no rooms available but that we could stay in a family room for an extra few dollars. I politely advised that if we were going to stay that we would not wish to pay any extra as the error was their own and not mine as I had booked with plenty of notice. Gut instinct made me ask to see the room before I handed any money over (they wanted us to pay first). I was rudely told that we could but the receptionist was clearly not happy with our request.

We were shown to a family room which I can only describe as disgusting! The curtains were hanging off the rails, there was a huge tear in the couch fabric and carpet plus there were a pile of hairs and mould in the shower cubicle. We quickly decided that we wouldn't be spending the night in the dump that was being shown to us (no wonder the manager left us to look around on our own).

We may have been backpacking but we do not expect to come across filth and shouldn't be expected to sleep in it either. We have stayed in fabulous 5* hotels all over the world and also stayed in basic YHA's and never had a problem. We were never expecting 5* accommodation and expected everything to be basic so this wasn't the issue here it was the pure fact that the place was filthy and uncared for.

We advised the manager that we wouldn't be staying and we were not given any apology for the error they had initially made nor given any offer of help to find alternative accommodation was suggested.

Do yourself a favour and run a mile from this place!! Bad organisation, management and rooms! No wonder they refused to send me photos of the rooms by email I should have started looking for alternative accommodation there and then as that should have been a warning in itself!!!!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Staffordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

We stayed here for one night in December 2006. The room we opted for was a private one, with its own bathroom. They do have room with shared facilities. The room was very compact, not really suitable for us and we were travelling around Perth, with large suitecases. The plug hole in the shower was blocked, so shower time had, to be very quick, also the window was open in the bathroom, which could not be shut so very noisy at night when people leaving the bar below. However it was very cheap to stay and very close to bars etc. Would stay here again but make sure i had limited suitecases.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
western australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2007

Pros, close to the action,great bar,lovely food,happy staff,cheap as chips,Stella on draft.

Cons,noisy,dated and untidy in parts,beds too small for people over 5 10",room only option no breakfast,shared bathrooms.

Worth a visit if only to sample the quaintness of it all.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — location noise
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple