“My family” 4 of 5 stars

Old Fire Station Backpackers Fremantle
18 Phillimore Street, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160, Australia   |
“My family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hostel is indescribable.
I past a really good moment here and I met my new Australian family.
The staff Ooooo my god guys this staff is just incredible.
If you want to go in Australia and you re backpacker and you re looking for an hostel just go straight there.

Special thanks to Ricci, Stephano, Salvo, OLI and Bruce

I love you guys F-X

Stayed November 2014, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Imagine the best things of all the places you've ever stayed, the best vibe you ever felt and the best people you've ever met and you're getting close to how special this place is. Whether you're in town for a short visit or to settle and work for a while, this is THE place to stay. I have stayed here a number of times now and each time is never long enough. There is always something going on and there is always a place to relax so whether you're wanting to get off the RADAR or get an early night for that 5am start you can do it here.

Room Tip: Bat Cave or Pleasure Dome for the partyers, Room 3 or 4 for best night sleep
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I've stayed at OFS twice now and it was better the second time around! I love that they offer free wifi and use of actual computers. Oh and they have ovens (which is a rare sighting in Australia). I really love the separate girls only area/apartment which is where I mainly spent most of my time. The staff are very friendly and welcoming. It feels like a huge family and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I've been to many hostels throughout my travels in Australia and this is by far one of the best :)

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

When I arrived, they said there would be a 'video game party' the following night. I take this to mean that people will be playing video games in some way. A reasonable assumption, right?

A video game party means an ALL NIGHT outdoor dance/club party out back where people dress in video game costumes. Fine, no issues there, I'm staying on the second floor. Except that the huge speakers used for this event are up on scaffolding and are about 3 feet from my head on the other side of the wall. Literally ALL NIGHT there is booming club music going nonstop, combined with drunk people yelling at the top of their lungs. Incredibly loud. It was like trying to sleep in the middle of a rave. Combined with this, every two hours some wasted European bros would come in, turn the lights on, make lots of noise, and then go back to the party leaving all the lights on and the door open. The third time I rolled over (not asleep) about 4AM and they were snorting coke off the bookshelf. I don't really care about drug use, but this was getting ridiculous.

The 'music' never went off until daylight. I got zero sleep. The next morning I got up, and very politely told the guy at the front desk that, basically, I don't care if you have a party, or that I got no sleep, but I shouldn't have to pay for it. All I wanted was one nights money back- like $32 dollars or something- because even in the crappiest of hostels, you shouldn't have to have a giant speaker going off all night by your head. The guy at the desk was pretty nice and admitted it got out of control, but he couldn't give me my money back without talking to the owner.

<note - at this point, about 8:30 AM on a Sunday, some guys were still partying out back and came in to buy more beer. Front desk guy wouldn't sell it to them>

I walked around Freemantle for a bit while he tried to call the owner. Came back- no luck. Owner wouldn't answer his cell phone. The guy at the desk finally gave me $20 and I figured that was all I was getting, so I got on the train to the airport after the WORST NIGHT EVER.

Ask yourself these questions before you stay at this hostel:

--Do you wear axe body spray?

--Are a backpacking dude from Germany who wants to get with as many chicks as possible during your gap year in Australia?

--Do you hate sleeping?

--Do you like staying up all night drinking and getting high?

You should probably answer "Yes" to all four of these before considering booking here. There are plenty of other hostels in Frio where they consider that people come to a place with beds IN ORDER TO GET SLEEP.

To Firehouse: Sorry for the negative review, but after I was refused a refund, you had it coming.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

If you're looking for a place where heavy drugs, bullying, freeze out and oppression of women is allowed and encouraged, you should check in to the old fire station in fremantle.. My first impression was that it seemed like a cool place but as soon as I got to know the people and the staff a little better it was aweful.. The rooms and the common areas are nice and clean but the human environment are disgusting

• Stayed October 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I been there for one week in September. Is really really nice. Very tidy and clean (you can't pretend more from a hostel). Few rules but very clear and everybody respect it. Free pools, pc and wifi. The management is doing a great job also with the organization of some activities every day. Is not BYO but however alchool i side isn't so expensive so is good. If I'll come back in Fremantle(or Perth...is closed to the train station) I'll stay there for sure.

Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I've only ever stayed in one hostel so have nothing to compare it to, however my 5 week stay was great. The staff are all super helpful and genuinely seem to care about and enjoy their work. It is definitely a hostel for people who like socialising, it can get quite noisy at times, especially at the weekends. For me this was never really a problem, get earplugs, but I can understand some of the reviewers on here who found this aggravating. You can not bring your own alcohol in but can buy it there at the same price as the supermarket ($7-$10 for a bottle of wine) which was good. The facilities are great so if you ever find yourself at a loose end you can always find someone to play pool with or go watch a film upstairs. They have car parking facilities which were safe and reasonably priced.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay at OFS, and if I ever need a place to stay in Fremantle I'd be back without hesitation, they even let me paint things on the walls.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Old Fire Station Backpackers Fremantle? Share your experiences!