“Made for long term guests” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Sundancer Backpackers Resort to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Sundancer Backpackers Resort
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   80 High Street, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160, Australia   |
Quebec City, Canada
“Made for long term guests”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I actually give a 3,5, a good rating.

I stayed at Sundancer for three months and I had good times there. There's good and bad things about this hostel. I'll start with the good ones; I think this hostel is made for long term guests. When you work around - the hostel had a great location to find work in Fremantle - you stay at the Sundancer and we meet a lot of people. It has a great atmosphere for partying as well as having a quiet night watching TV on the couches. It has three TVs now and two video consoles, a ping pong table and a pool table. The pool is really pleasant with the summer heat, but maybe a bit small. The social - and smoking - area is massive and great for meeting with friends. The staff is wonderful. Some of them live in the hostel so you become friend with them. It helps at the friendly atmosphere. The manager, Jay, is a funny guy.

The bad points now. There are bad things everywhere. I was lucky when I got there. I got one of the best room; a huge six bed female dorm. The room was clean and they clean the carpet and mattresses every two weeks. However, some rooms are really small and have no storage. Or not enough for the number of guests. If you stay on the first floor, it is noisier than on the second floor. And there is often couples in the dorm as well. Good or bad point, it depends on you. The first floor bathrooms are cleaner than the second floor ones, but I think they are alright. The kitchen is huge as well (which is a good point) but there is not enough cooking pans and pots. Find a spot in the fridge might be a challenge as well. But when you get one, you're fine. The internet area is definitely bad. You have four free internet spot but it is all the time busy. If you have your own laptop, you're fine. But the computers provided are really slow and they freeze constantly.

I reckon the Sundancer is a good place to start in Fremantle if you plan to work in the area. You meet a lot of people and make a circle of friends for the time you stay and you get good advises about work around. For the ones staying in the area just for a few nights, it may not be the best place because of the long term guests.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

The best thing I can say about this hostel is that it's really well located. We were happy with that. Otherwise, it was a pretty feral experience.

My boyfriend and I asked for a private room with an en suite. Our room was small and furnished with a bunk bed - double mattress at the bottom and a single at the top. It was cramped and grotty - the bathroom, in particular, was dirty and there was hair and grey matter in the shower stall left from the previous occupants (gross). No air-conditioning. An electric fan was provided, but it wasn’t nearly enough to keep us cool during the night, especially as the room was also windowless.

In addition, we were annoyed that on Hostel World, Sundancer advertised they provide ‘FREE INTERNET’, however, once there, we found the use of it was very limited. This is because only four people were able to use it at a time so it was rarely ever available. There is wireless, but you have to pay for it ($10 for 4 hours) – and we really didn’t appreciate the extra cost, especially as we were already paying for a room that was cramped, airless, stuffy, and fell well below our expectations.

So would I recommend this place? Not really, but if you’re on a budget, you might not have a choice. It will most likely be the cheapest accommodation you’ll be able to find - but it’s still way overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

I did not like Sundancer. I was promised a female dorm and ended up in a dorm of 8 (supposedly) females. There were two couples, the girl sharing my bunk had a guy every day for sex and I felt I was interrupting something, when I realised I had paid for my accommodation and was not given what I paid for.
It is an awful place. I DO NOT recommend anyone with a sensible mind to stay. I will place a complaint to consumer affairs. The room was so messy with people having sex! even the cleaner who slept there was having guys at her own dispense! AWFUL!!!

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Fremantle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

Great place to stay either short or long term. Friendly service by the manager, night manager & all bar staff. I wouldn't trust many of the other bad reviews, as most of them seem to be written by older people who would be ill suited to a fun, vibrant party atmosphere. Yes the kitchen may be unclean during certain times during the day, but that is because it is in constant use. Same with the showers. The staff do their best to maintain the cleanliness throughout the day, despite what former reviewers have stated. A decent sized pool for swimming on the hot days. Great location in the city centre, with a supermarket within walking distance & a great Cafe just across the road. I would stay here again in a heartbeat! Thanks to Jay & Julia (And George the handyman) for making this a unique stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Coffs Harbour, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I stayed here with my dad and partner for 1 night. We have stayed in some lovely backpackers hostels in the past that have been clean, basic and have had great amenities. This hostel though was disgusting. When you enter the foyer, the walls smell of old food. We were asked to collect a fluffy blanket (which hasnt been washed since the last guests) off the floor of the foyer on the way up to our room. The building is 3 storeys high with a nice big staircase... but the stairs are sticky and dont look like they have ever been washed. Our room had a double bed with a single bunk on top. The walls were covered in brown smears and there were old fitted sheets hung on the walls to cover up the boxed-in internal window. We had a very narrow window overlooking the rooftop below that was covered in wine bottles, and the flyscreen was ripped out and flapping in the breeze. We had a small ensuite bathroom which was so unclean we had to ask reception for a bottle of disinfectant to clean it ourselves. I have never felt so unclean and unhappy with somewhere to stay. Please dont stay here - it is so gross!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

had loads of fun at sundancers in 2010!! shame they kept a few idiots stay there! but overall really cool staff and good bar! good home feel, and has a swimming pool which is great for the really hot days! loved it and would recomend it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

This is the worse hostel we have stayed thus far. Thank goodness we only stayed for 1 night back in March 2009. The shared kitchen and bathrooms were filthy! As if that wasn't bad enough, we couldn't sleep in peace the whole night because of the noise (there was no house rules to keep noise down in the hostel after hours.

The only good point is their location. It is just a 10 minutes walk from the hostel to Shed C, a jetty where you take a ferry ride to Rottnest Island.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sundancer Backpackers Resort? Share your experiences!