“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges

You added Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges to your Saves list
Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr Marine Terrace & Essex Street, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160, Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Fremantle
Sydney, Australia
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Had a fantastic 3 night stay , staff were more than helpful and very pleasant , rooms were lovely and clean , great shower pressure , a very enjoyable stay in a very central location , walk to shops ,trains , ferry and eateries.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Was pleasing to read you enjoyed your stay in Fremantle and the hotel, that the team were helpful and the rooms were clean. Nothing better than great pressure in a shower in a hotel! Glad you enjoyed it.

David Bornmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
SydneyAustralia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Stayed one night. Superior Pool View room much better than the street view room on ground floor. Typical hotel accommodation nothing special. Close to Harbour restaurants and Fremantle shops. Friendly staff and $29 breakfast plus extra for coffee - good. Next visit to Fremantle probably find some different type of accommodation rather than a hotel. Left the day of my 60th birthday and had mentioned in booking but nothing special occurred.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your 60th birthday; I agree if they had known this it would have been nice for them to have done something to acknowledge this milestone with you. It's the little things that make such a big impact. The rooms will improve as we go through them, I agree they are normal hotel rooms, we will make them brighter, and more comfortable as we progress with our improvement of the hotel since taking over last year. sorry you wont be back with us, I hope you find some nice accommodation next time you are in Fremantle.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights as a base for exploring Perth and Fremantle. We booked and got a parkview room on the 2nd floor with a balcony. Reading the mixed reviews on TA, I guess we were lucky - our room and bathroom looked to be recently refurbished and was very large, with a balcony. We had a package which included a late checkout and $60 worth of food and beverages - used this for a buffet breakfast one morning - ok standard, but there are lots of other options with Freo bustling with cafes and restaurants, and all close to the Esplanade Hotel, as is the marina. All the staff we encountered were really friendly and helpful, and our room was fully serviced each day.

My only gripes are: please don't give us a courtesy call at 11am to remind us to checkout when we have a late checkout at 1 pm, and the TV position in our room (208) was ridiculous - the sofa and table and chairs are so far away, and the bed faces in a different direction. Loved the big room but there are better options for the TV placement. Overall, although not a budget hotel, it was comfortable for us, and in a great location for sightseeing and accessing public transport.

Room Tip: There always seems to be a number of cabs queueing at the hotel, but don't get caught out - if y...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Thank you for your review, there will unfortunately always be a mixed bag of reviews and I understand your concern when reading some of the more constructive lengthy reviews received. We always will do our best to respond to these with constant attention to the hotel service and amenities to ensure we are delivering a good standard for our guests. I will look at the layout of your room to see where the Tv is positioned, when we changed over the screens to new Sony LCDs we were limited to existing cable and connections from the original units, will be looking at these more extensively when doing upgrades of the accommodation.

Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Pulling up to the entrance you expect it will be good. Nice lobby, okay public areas. But.....rooms are really tired and badly need upgraded. One of the pools was closed and we therefore our view overlooked a muddy, ex swimming pool with yellow striped warning tape around it. We also had the noise from an evening function to keep us awake on the Friday evening. Good location but definitely not value for money. Staff were friendly. Rollaway bed for my child arrived promptly and was laid out for us when requested, reception and valet were helpful. Parking is outrageously expensive. We did not eat or drink in the hotel as the value to price ratio is all wrong and it is not up to the standards expected. Overall - couldn't recommend as I would stay there again. Very disappointing and needs some serious money spent to be a decent hotel.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Appreciate your perspective on the hotel on you recent visit, I apologise that one of the pools is undergoing maintenance, we are hoping to have this work completed at some stage in the near future and give the area a much more pleasant appearance. We are reviewing the accommodation rooms and will be giving these some attention in the coming year as well. Our focus since take over has been other priorities needing attention, but the rooms are definitely on the list. They are all a good standard but could do with some freshening up.

Hong Kong
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

i reached around midnight for check in and had to wait for about 20 mins before checking and i was the only person doing the check in.
staff is okey but not good enough.
And this is the best in fremantle. rooms are average little choice of food, below average breakfast.
checked out in one night

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Was not good to see you had to wait when arriving after midnight at the hotel. I can only imagine with the team we have on at that time must have been distracted, will raise this with the night team to ensure that they understand guests arriving after hours is a priority.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

If you hate being ripped off as I do, avoid this hotel at all costs, as it most certainly will cost you!!

I have never encountered such blatant corporate fleecing of its kind. Within 10 minutes of arriving, I was at the front desk wanting to leave! A few examples of why:
Upon arrival the staff were totally disinterested and only sought to get my credit card swiped as quickly as they could. A warm welcome seemed alien to them.

The rooms: I booked a 'King Spa Suite'. What a joke. By any international standards, this was no more than a standard room with a double bed. Having a bath with a water jet does not justify 'Spa' status, neither does a chair and a table squeezed into a corner justify a 'Suite' status. Do not believe the photos on the website, they are carefully shot and verge on deliberate misrepresentation. The rooms are tired and in desperate need of updating and certainly do not deserve the charging that is applied to them.

Internet and WiFi: A charge of $18 per day (discounted to $9 per day if you are a member), is applied for internet use in your room. Rip off!! Despite the fact that you can walk into Burger King or any of the bars or cafes nearby and get free unlimited internet, the hotel deems it fit to apply this ridiculous charge for the privilege of having internet in your room.

Breakfast: The rate for my 'King Spa Suite' did not include breakfast. Arriving at the breakfast hall I enquired how much it would cost for 2 slices of toast, one with a spoon of scrambled eggs on it, the other with a spoon of baked beans. The cost, $31!!! Complaining on two separate occasions that this was disgraceful, I was told that no reduction or arrangement cold be made as the eggs and beans components classified as the hot buffet charge! I therefore had to take breakfast outside of the hotel to obtain a non rip off rate.

Parking: $29 per day - Rip off!! I was told that management had decided this was a non-negotiable rate and if I didn't like it, I would have to start feeding the meter in the public car park opposite from 8am onwards.

Room Credit limit: On the 3rd or 4th day, I received a receipt under my door stating that I had exceeded my 'Room Credit Limit' What credit limit? No where is this mentioned in the hotel or literature. Despite the fact that swiping my credit card on arrival is for validation purposes only, they had deducted my credit card for over $1,000 and shoved the receipt under my door with no approval from myself or opportunity to scrutinise the charges - utterly disgraceful!! Only a shouting match at reception forced them to re-credit my card and accept that check-out was the proper and only time that I would agree to having any charges applied to my card.

Credit Card Surcharge Fee: 4% on top of your bill - Seriously?? Rip off!!!

Room Service: Atrocious. I had a polystyrene sandwich box left in the room for 4 days, 3 takeaway coffee cups left for 3 days and a juice carton left for 2 days. Towels were left unfolded and toiletries not replaced. They did make the bed though!

I could go on but I think the point is made of how this hotel conducts itself. It has long forgotten that guests like to be seen and treated as a guest and not as a credit card to be fleeced!

I genuinely feel sorry for the staff at reception. It is a faceless management that impose these disgraceful clandestine charges, but these poor people are the ones who take the bullets - and I witnessed many dissatisfied guests. They admit their embarrassment to implement such charges, and my god it shows! Only a further confrontation at reception enabled me to have some of these charges waived but the policy of the hotel is clear and they will apply them ruthlessly to the unsuspecting. What this hotel needs is a serious shake up and some serious competition to hit the message home - they would not survive elsewhere!

Be warned.

Room Tip: Book a room that doesn't face the noisy multi-storey car park.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Certainly a poor experience from your extensive detailed review. I totally agree with your sentiments that first impressions are so important and are emphasised with the training of the front desk staff to extend a warm welcome to our guests. The internet fee currently is 20MB free then the charges will apply, however this is being reviewed and will be free by the end of March. Breakfast buffet is not itemised, so I imagine if making requests for specifics the staff member would have quoted you a full buffet price which is currently $29, a point worth taking that we should have continental and other hot items as a separate pricing for guests not wanting the full buffet meal. There are also options when booking to have bed and breakfast packages which are good value The King Spa Suite is descriptive of the bed size and the fact it has a spa bath, the photos on our website match the actual room types decribed. Checking history I can see you stayed in an Executive King Room not a King Spa suites, the photos on the website and description, rates etc are not the same. There are ceilings of credit card amounts that the hotel maintains, this should have been advised to you when reached prior to paying off the account as per the hotel credit policy. The valet parking the hotel provides is $29 per day, the alternatives are available unsecure parking across the road as you have noted is metered so has the inconvenience of needing to have the tickets renewed, or Collie St parking around the corner which can prove more expensive for 24hr use and also has the inconvenience of closing at 11pm most nights so you can't access the vehicle. This fee is note on the website and explained when parking the car. The credit card transaction fee is also published on the website and advised when paying by credit card, it is 1.85 for bank cards or 3.5 for Amex. Housekeeping procedures would be to clear rubbish from the room if left in the bin or is obviously rubbish, I will address this with the manager as to why this may not have occurred as you have stated. The management have the guests as the main priority in everything they do in the hotel, we certainly are not trying to rip guests off as you have noted, the charges are transparent and are there if used not buried in the rates if guests do not wish to use them. We are also not 'faceless', the managers all spend time at front desk or in the lobby to ensure guests have a manager presence and anytime a guest wishes to speak to management for any reason we are always available. I certainly wouldn't have a guest service agent take any issues upon themselves if the manager is present to handle the situation. The hotel team take great pride in what has been achieved in the past twelve months since takeover, we certainly do not take any feedback lightly and will certainly be discussing your comments in great detail.

Fremantle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Mediocre breakfast buffet. Very poor customer service - our room key failed on each of our days at the hotel. Our room - supposedly overlooking the pool and tropical garden - was about half a mile (slight exaggeration?) around the hotel, blocked in by trees and overlooking a rough car park. As two elderly but capable travellers we don't expect special service, but a little consideration for the very long walk to our room would have been appreciated. No pool bar service at the pool - OK not the very busiest time of the year, but we would have expected the service to be maintained at a 4.5 - 5* hotel. We've stayed at Hiltons, Hyatts, Four Seasons, Sheratons, Marriotts, etc. in Aus and all round the world and Rydges is simply not on a par with the best, yet in their prices they try to mimic the best. Very poor value Rydges. You need to get your act together. I'm just glad that on our forthcoming trip to Brisbane that we've booked into the Marriott and not into Rydges Southbank!!! The only star among the staff was the lady who appeared to be running the valet parking - she was polite, very friendly, and extremely helpful. Well done to her!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Was disappointing to read you have stayed in all these amazing five star brands and around the world and that our hotel does not compare. It certainly highlights the need for constant review of our service and the hotel generally to ensure our standards are much better than what you have portrayed., It by no means is a reflection on the Rydges Southbank Hotel which is a very nice property. I apologise that you did not have a good impression of the brand and will do our best to improve this as we progress with this property..

David Bornmann
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fremantle
Pier 21 Apartment Hotel
Fraser Suites Perth
Fraser Suites Perth
#5 of 60 in Perth
4.0 of 5 stars 753 reviews

Been to Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges? Share your experiences!