“Lovely location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges

You added Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges to your Saves list
Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr Marine Terrace & Essex Street, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160, Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Fremantle
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Lovely location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Esplanade enjoys a lovely location in Fremantle. Our room was quite comfortable but we were disappointed that we had not view only an internal outlook to a small pool. The service we received from the concierge staff was fantastic and we can highly recommend them

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Great you enjoyed your stay in Fremantle, sorry the view was internal to the pool, the rooms overlooking the park are very popular and also slightly more expensive as you may note from the various website listings. I hope we can welcome you back to Freo in the future.

David Bornmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Kelmscott, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I originally booked in a Deluxe Spa room for 2 nights to celebrate our first wedding anniversary, as we planned to go to the Fremantle Prison Halloween Torchlight Tour. When we arrived, we were able to get valet parking and have our luggage taken up to the room for us (having never stayed in anything above a 3 star hotel, this was a lovely touch). Then we checked in, and we were informed that they were upgrading us to an Executive Junior Suite, and sending up a free bottle of sparkling wine! On top of that, we had booked with a special package that gave us $60 a day to use at any of the hotels bars, or at the Atrium.

The first night we stayed we had room service after coming back from the prison. The food was amazing and reasonably priced for what it was. There is a $4 tray charge each time you order, but I hear that is standard so not a big deal for us. We even drank a bottle of wine out of the mini bar, as I felt it was also reasonably priced - and quite a lovely drop I must say! My only complaint was that when we put the tray outside our door after we had finished eating (I think this was around 9:30pm), the tray was still there in the morning.

The bed was a 4 poster bed, and AMAZINGLY comfortable. The bathroom was lovely and clean (loved the jacuzzi spa!). Again, one small complaint - the shower leaked a little at the bottom. Not sure what can be done about it, but just mentioning it. Our light in the bathroom also blew during our stay, but we informed the reception desk on our way out to dinner, and it was fixed by the time we came back.

Breakfast on our last day there was at the Atrium, and the food was lovely! It was busy (being a saturday), but I have no objections about that. We just wanted a nice bite to eat before we checked out.

Checking out was also a nice experience, as it was the same lady who also checked us in, and wished us a congratulations on our anniversary.

Overall, I highly recommend The Esplanade. I understand it can be a little pricey, but some planning ahead and grabbing one of their deals (as we did, I believe it was the "breakaway" package) can help. We will certainly be returning here frequently in the futre.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Was very pleased to read of your experience at the hotel, congratulations on your anniversary! I am glad the team recognised the special occasion and suitably looked after you to make your stay more enjoyable. I hope we see you back again for other events or just a weekend away.

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The Esplanade is beautifully situated on the park with direct views to the marina and Fremantle harbour. The park has good playground facilities for the children, a cafe and plenty of free space to kick a ball and get rid of pent-up travelling frustrations for little ones. Across the park is a fabulous range of eateries offering fresh local seafood, italian meals, and Little Creatures brewery and bistro. All very family, couple or singles-friendly.
Within five minutes walk are the train station to Perth city (about one half hour travel through the suburbs of Perth) and the 'sheds' at which one can board cruises and the ferry to Rottnest Island.
Food at the Esplanade is very good, served in an atrium dining lounge. Rydges is gradually moving from the closed-in hotel feeling into a light and open relaxed atmosphere. The rooms are gradually being upgraded and our room with a balcony was superb. Reception could be staffed better as we waited several times for quite lengthy periods (up to 20 minutes at one point) to leave a simple message. The concierge was excellent and never bothered by our requests.

Room Tip: Steer clear of rooms at the back of the hotel. Rooms overlooking the park or the pool are lovely.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Was pleasing to read of your positive experience in Fremantle, it is a great place to relax and enjoy the historic ambiance of a seaside town. The hotel is generally getting into a better place after significant work through this year after the change in ownership and management. The staffing levels in the front desk area will need to be reviewed, there have been a few changes in this area recently.

Regards

Maidstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The hotel itself, while clean and comfortable, is not really my bag. It's very modern and lacks the charm and character of older buildings. As an example, the corridors are so bland and neutral that they remind me of a young offenders institution instead of a hotel. I do not intend this to be a criticism of the facility; it is not. The nouveau look will appeal to some but not to me.

I stayed here for two nights each on consecutive weeks. During my first stay, I was upgraded to a spa suite. The room was very spacious well laid out, comfy bed and, apart from a broken bottle in the fridge, spotlessly clean.

However, the second time I stayed I was given a room on the fourth floor over looking the park. I had to leave the room straight away as the air con wasn't working. I got a similar room on the second floor but the corridor was on a mezzanine deck over looking the bar and restaurant area, kind of like an atrium view. The room, although clean and spacious, also had defective air con. i didn't really notice on the first night as I checked in at two in the morning. When I turned the system on, I assumed (wrongly) that the noise from the vents meant the onset of cool air.

Be aware of the high speed wireless in the rooms. It connects ok but it is anything but high speed.

I was also disappointed to learn that some of the reception staff did not recognise my loyalty card for the Global Hotel Alliance, of which this hotel is a member.

I only ate breakfast at the hotel. The choice of food is quite exceptional and excellent omelettes are made to order.

However, on the tables the cutlery is presented in a wooden box so patrons can help themselves to what they want as and when they need it. During my first stay, I saw a waitress accidentally knock a cutlery box off the table and onto the floor, subsequently spilling the contents. She placed the cutlery back in the box and then on to the table, which is absolutely unforgivable.

Concierge staff are very good and will do their utmost to help as will one of the managers I interacted with.

I would stay here again but I would pay closer attention to my air con before settling down to sleep. If I hadn't observed the cutlery getting knocked to the floor and put back on the table, I'd have given the place four stars.

Room Tip: If you're an early to bed and early riser or need to work in your room, you might want want to a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for your insightful and candid review of the hotel, the corridors are a work in progress and it is not often I have had them or the hotel described as modern, but subjective opinions on the decor are welcome as we progress with our improvements and upgrade of the hotel since taking it over. I think the new entry, bar and restaurant have been tastefully renovated, incorporating the rich flavour of Fremantle's history with the historic photos on windows, down the corridors and also naming the new restaurant the Harbour Master after the original owner of the building back in the 1830's, I am not an interior designer but Nouveau probably doesn't best describe what it is we are trying to achieve... The AC is centralised with independent controls in the room, I can only imagine there must have been a more serious problem with the main chiller when you stayed that caused this issue, I am sure this has since been rectified. The WiFI system installed this year is state of the art and the speed depending in what it is users are downloading is generally very quick and is capable of handling 100's of users all actively using it in our conference room as well as the accommodation etc. We also upgraded the pipeline into the hotel by 100% when we did the upgrade to ensure a fast WiFi system for our guests so it is very concerning you had this type of speed issue.

Thank you again for your time to comment.

Regards

Traralgon, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed for four nights as a couple in a superior pool view room. From the moment we checked in we were impressed we the friendly concierge and reception staff as well as the traditional decor with modern conveniences.

I made a special request for a quiet room at the time of booking as I had been advised that the reception and restaurant can be noisy. Our room was clean, very comfortable and we had no issues with noise throughout our stay (even with a wedding reception held in the pool function area and builders working near reception).

The location of the Esplanade Hotel is central to the wharf, parks, shops and places to eat or get a coffee. We had the buffet breakfast on one morning which was nice, and also had a dinner at The Harbour Master restaurant which was pricey but well worth it. The bar staff were very efficient and we enjoyed having a drink outside looking over the esplanade and Marine terrace.

We would highly recommend the Esplanade Hotel Fremantle to friends and family, and if we are fortunate enough to visit Fremantle in the future we would certainly stay again.

• Stayed October 2013
Really pleasant to read of your experience at the hotel and your stay in Fremantle. The reception and restaurant are not that noisy, it is obviously a high traffic area as per most hotels so can get a little sporty during peak periods, however overnight it is generally okay. The location is very good and our guests enjoy the convenience of being able to walk to the cafe strip or the mariner, both only a few moments from the hotel. Hope we may see you back with us again next time you are in Freo.

Burlington, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

More or less forced to stay at this hotel due to the lack of other hotels in Fremantle. Very expensive for what you get. Drinks, breakfast and wi-fi all expensive.
For all meals I went into the town to eat at one of the many restaurants available.
Location is excellent for walking to the harbour and to the quayside.
A good trip out is to the Fremantle prison. The guided tour is excellent.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sorry to read you didn't feel the hotel was acceptable for your needs, there are plenty of accommodation options available in Fremantle, in particular if you don't wish to use the hotel restaurants and bar, the apartment style properties may be more to your liking although their rates are generally above what the hotel is. I hope you find something more suitable in your next trip.

Penrith, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

arrived here by taxi from perth airport about $65.00,transfers only available when booking with agent. Check-in smooth bags bought to room fairly quickly. Premier room was plenty space for 2 people traveling with luggage, nicely decorated with sitting area and flatscreen tv on rotating stand,huge bathroom. nice location walking to restaurants and attractions close by included maritime museum markets park across the road and pier. comfortable sleep here, dinner and service in the restaurant we thought was very good to excellent. would stay again. if you have priority guest membership you receive discounts here and late checkout 1pm. We checked out 6am so cant comment on breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Was very nice to see a senior viewer enjoy their experience at the hotel and the team made sure you had a straight forward check in and you enjoyed the location and facilities of the property. Thanks also for adding some pics of your room etc, it always helps with other travelers to witness what it is your referring to. I am glad you enjoyed Fremantle and hope we see you back one day.

David Bornmann
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fremantle
Pier 21 Apartment Hotel
Fraser Suites Perth
Fraser Suites Perth
#5 of 61 in Perth
4.0 of 5 stars 759 reviews

Been to Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges? Share your experiences!