“Different, but in a good way!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fremantle Bed and Breakfast

You added Fremantle Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Fremantle Bed and Breakfast
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   5 Mouat Street | Fremantle 6160 WA, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160, Australia   |
Ranked #9 of 23 Fremantle B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Different, but in a good way!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

This B&B is in the perfect location to discover Fremantle. The building is old and with bags of character. Sharing a bathroom was no problem as they were clean and fellow guests tidy and respectful of others. The continental breakfast is self service and basic, but enough to fill you up until lunch time. We didn't meet the owner or any member of staff once, and while this was quirky and posed no problems, my only suggestion would be to offer more details about check out times, and advice on parking. For a two night stay, this was perfect. We'd certainly go back and discover more of Fremantle.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Robbie D, General Manager at Fremantle Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. I am so sorry I did not get to meet you meet you , our Housekeeper is on site each day from 9.30 am to 2 pm and I am also there each morning and evening.
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us , and we are blessed with a great location from which to explore Fremantle's many attractions.
I promise to make sure to meet you in person on your next visit :)

Thanks again
Robbie and Chris Doyle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Loved the location right in downtown Fremantle, with easy walking access to everything. The heritage building was very clean and while the Jocelyn Room isn't very big, it's a good reason to go out and explore the city. Breakfast was great!

Definitely recommended for anyone planning on going to Freo in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Robbie D, Owner at Fremantle Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for the review , you as so right , we are well positioned to enjoy the attractions of Fremantle
We are a 2 min walk to the Train station , 3 min walk to the Rottnest Ferry, and Fisherman's Harbor
The Free Cat Bus stops 50 meters away from our front door , this is indeed a great way to see the sights.
We are glad you enjoyed your free continental breakfast !
Looking forward to seeing you in 2014 .
Kind regards
Robbie and Chris doyle
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay - very comfy bed. This B&B is so close to everything and with free public transport it was easy to visit the various places of interest, there is so much to see and do in Fremantle and the choice of places to eat out is amazing. Maybe the host of the B & B could start a book with visitors personal recommendations? After reading previous comments regarding the breakfast I wasn't sure what to expect but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and found there to be enough choice to get me through to lunch, the selection of teas is a nice touch. I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Robbie D, Owner at Fremantle Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us.
We really appreciate it !

Have a Great New Year

Robbie and Chris
York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

When we arrived at 3pm we could not get in. The PIN on the booking.com was wrong. So I had to make 2 phone calls. Eventually the correct PIN was given. In partial defence the PIN had been emailed to me that morning. As a visitor and my data switched off on my phone I had not received it.
The room was huge and the bed really comfy.
The breakfast is self-help. Crumpets, sliced bread and various cereals. No fruit whatever. A banana or an apple would have helped.
A 30 sec walk to Bregali;s Piccolo (turn right out of the door and first left) reveals fab service and breakfast (poached eggs, spinach, basil pesto on toast, coffee) for 14 AUD.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter D, General Manager at Fremantle Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Dear Guest
We are sorry for the confusion with Booking.com, as you know we did email you your door code, if only you had supplied your mobile phone number when you booked, you would also have received either a call and a text message with your code.
We advertise our self served breakfast as a '' substantial continental breakfast'' we provide Fruit toast, Crumpets, 100% Canadian Maple Syrup , Wholemeal toast, Multigrain toast, White Toast, we also have a decent selection of the most popular Cereals , 2 different types of freshly brewed Coffee, a selection of traditional Teas, we also have individual coupes of Greek Yogurt with Honey and Blueberries as well as Orange Juice , Milk and Soy Milk.
Our Bed and Breakfast is blessed with having great cafes nearby , thanks for your review
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

You'll probably wonder why i am writing this review with such a title. Ah well... here goes!

As a family with two young infants, we booked the Down Under Suite because it could accommodate ourselves, our domestic helper and our two infants comfortably in their biggest room. Reaching the place via our GPS from Perth, boy were we glad to reach our place of rest promptly at check-in time of 2pm so that the kids could take a nap before we head out to explore Fremantle. It had a beautiful architecture that was quaint, rustic and intricate but wait a minute, we realised we didn't know how to get in!

My hubby knocked on the doors to no avail and the door remained locked. We were parked just outside the B&B but just didn't know how to access this place at all! Considering that we arrived promptly at check-in time and not at 'unearthly' wee midnight hours, in our travelling escapades, we had never been faced with this before. We tried to give a call to the number indicated there but could not get through the lines. We could only thank a fellow guest who happened to open the door to get out and then we told him our predicament. He said he just arrived just slightly earlier than us and didn't know what to do either but thankfully made a call and received a code number for the lock on the door. We were thankful he shared the code number with us so we could get in but even so, when we were first got in, all we saw was tables, chairs and food but no one in sight. It was a little weird for us.

It didn't help that after going inside, we still did not know how to get to our room because there were no directional signs either. We felt like we were on some Sherlock Holmes' quest or something... finding for possible clues in a place where we could find no one. My hubby went up all the stairs to see each room and it was later that i told him since the suite was called 'down under', it was possible that our room must be one that didn't need so many stairs to climb up to and should be in the basement or something. We finally noticed a very small door near the breakfast area that looked like a storeroom or utility door. Thankfully it had a key that said 'Down Under Suite' otherwise we wouldn't know if that was our room. Unfortunately, while other guests may gripe about climbing arduous stairs to their rooms and i thought we would be spared, even booking the Down Under Suite needed us to climb downwards to our room. It was ok but had to be careful when we're carry the two infants.

Upon getting into the room, we're glad for the large open plan sized room although i must add that when we shifted the sofa a little to close a gap it had, we noticed that it was quite dusty there.

They kindly provided bread, muffins, milk and all the coffee and tea e.t.c. within our own room which was a nice touch but as the dates we saw on their muffins and bread seem to indicate that it expired the day we came, we did not dare to eat. (I have to add though that it was indicated to me the next day that they freeze the bread and all, so the expiry dates do not matter. However as we did not enter our suite meeting anyone at all, we did not know of this). In addition, there was definitely one item in the fridge which couldn't possibly be frozen. Their fresh milk in the fridge was expired on the day we arrived. No one dared to drink it and so, although it was a nice touch to have these items in your very own room, it may not leave a good impression when the dates that are all displayed there seem to either have expired or will be expiring on the day you arrive.

Our last disappointment was when we booked this place for both washing machine and dryer facilities and my big mistake was that i did not check the dryer if it was working before i washed the clothes. Imagine my horror when we discovered the dryer could not work no matter how we tried and we had all these wet clothes that we had to quickly manually use the hair dryer and iron through the night (since we only booked for 1 night!).

OK i know it does seem to put one off already after reading those, however the next day, we finally had the opportunity of meeting Robbie. I told him personally of our experience and i am comforted when he did apologize for the email that was supposed to be sent to us but there was something wrong with the server and the emails did not go out. (Sometimes, it helps when customer service shows kindness and empathy!)

Thereafter when we had checked-out for a couple of hours and headed for Margaret River, we discovered we had left our Ipad in the room. I was so upset with myself but quickly tried to both email and call Fremantle B&B. Robbie was on the line and he spoke very nicely and calmly and told me not to panic. He would get someone to search and call me back as soon as he could.

I want to thank him and his staff for their honesty and initiative for finding my Ipad so quickly. And if it wasn't enough, i asked him if he could help keep it safely for me for 3 days until i returned from Margaret River. Instead, upon realizing that i was actually going to stay at another accommodation in Perth city and actually having to make a detour to Freo, he told me that he would bring my Ipad to my Perth city accommodation instead. I was so THANKFUL!

To Robbie - i can't thank him enough for helping me with this favour. Great customer service goes a long way and i would not hesitate to stay at this place again when i am back in Freo. We know that if it wasn't the miscommunication of emails that we did not receive the codes -- we would have had a better experience. I hope to be back next time with the dryer working though!

Room Tip: Down Under Suite! (however the toilet pump is a bit noisy!)
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Peter D, General Manager at Fremantle Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
The good news is that we have installed a brand new Dryer, we were so sorry that you did not let us know about the Dryer as we could have offer you our Industrial Dryer which would have saved the day :) Thanks so much for taking the time to write this review , we are so grateful :))
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Fremantle Bed & Breakfast is a great place to stay for a couple of nights. All major attractions are within walking distance (Fremantle Prison, Cappuccino Strip, Shipwreck Galleries). Before arrival you will receive an email or sms from Chris and Robbie with the door code. This works well and no need to check in. The room that I had (2) is small, but you really don't need more space than this for 1 or 2 persons. The whole place is very very clean, well maintained and the (shared) bathroom is very clean, spacious and comfortable. Nice shower.
Breakfast is quite basic, but including nice coffee, yoghurt, cereals etc.
I would definitely return to this place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
What a great review, we thank you so much for taking the time and effort to write your thoughts on our Bed and Breakfast, our location lends itself to peace and quiet, while at the same time being a short stroll to al the action and attractions of Fremantle .
Cheers
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I couldn't fault this b&b, the location as a fabulous- close to the ferry to rottnest, the markets and the main street. The room was clean and comfortable, in a beautiful old building and the host was fabulous- a really genuine guy. I would definitely recommend this b&b to anyone looking for a comfortable room in a beautiful part of Fremantle.

• Stayed September 2013
Robbie and Chris Doyle

Been to Fremantle Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!