“Bed Bugs in Room 11, otherwise excellent” 3 of 5 stars

Valley Hostel
Fuhren, Lauterbrunnen CH-3822, Switzerland   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Paris, France
“Bed Bugs in Room 11, otherwise excellent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We booked a 3 night stay starting October 23, 2013. We booked a private twin room, which seemed very nice, with great location and views. However, the first night I had the worst nights sleep of my life, as i could feel myself being bitten all night. It was only in the morning when I inspected the sheets that I realised this was due to bed bugs (i've never encountered bed bugs before in my life). The there we approximately half a dozen dead bed bug on my sheet, and brown smears everywhere. We had scheduled to visit Jungfraujoch early that morning, and departed before the hostel reception was open. When we arrived back after lunch and complained to reception, they were already aware of the problem ( we could tell they have been in our room as the dead bugs were gone and trash emptied). They apologised, upgraded us to a private double room, and paid for us to use their laundry facilities. Overall, we were satisfied with the way they handled the situation, however, our stay was definitely much less enjoyable as a result. I received over 250 bites all over my body, and my wife around 140 (including her face). I am writing this review 1 week later and we still have all of the bites and they itch almost every moment of the day.
Other than the bed bugs, our stay in Lauterbrunnen was amazing. The hostel was one of the best we have stayed in and Jungfrau was well worth the exorbitant entry price. Just don't stay in Room 11 any time soon, as we have seen another recent post about bed bugs in this room. They told us that they had the room professionally exterminated recently, but we are still disappointed that we were given this room, as the hostel seemed relatively empty. We can't help but feel that they were using us as test dummies.

Room Tip: Do not let them put you in room 11
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Traveled with friends and stayed in the private quad room. We managed to stay in the new building and thoroughly enjoyed our stay! View from our room was beautiful, facing the mountains and waterfalls. Room was clean and comfortable, common bathrooms were just opposite our room and they were very clean as well. Only down side of the room was that the sound-proofing of the walls were not good (or maybe the walls were thin), especially when people were talking right outside our room, ear plugs will then come in handy! There was a common kitchen and eating area for our building so it got a little crowded during dinner time but overall, kitchen was well equipped and big. Didn't manage to speak to the hostel staff but Lauterbrunnen is a small town and we had no problems finding our way around, we loved the stay!
For the wonderful views, clean room & bathrooms and convenient location, this hostel is highly recommended and I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the new building if possible.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Orange, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Be Warned of BED BUGs

We checked in for a 3-night stay at the Valley Hostel in Interbrunun, October 1-3, 2013. We stayed at room #11. On the 1st night of our stay, we had our first beg bug experience: it was absolutely terrible; I got bitten all over my body and on the face: 25 on my right arm, 23 on my left arm, 19 on my right leg, 21 on my left leg, and 10 on my face, total 97. My wife couldn't sleep because of the bugs. She said that they were crawling onto the comforter and up the wood panel walls. What a horrible night.

After a sleepless night, the next morning we made our complaint to the staff and requested for a full refund of our first night and a room change. The staff lady argued that a bed bug problem is not their responsibility and not their fault. Rather it's the guests who carry the bugs to the hostel. No refund. We got the key for a new room at 3pm which is located at a separate building, on our 2nd and third nights, there were no bed bugs.

We had no choice but to wander around the city till 3:00 PM. While we were wandering around the city waiting for our new room, we saw the local Tourist Information Office, we told them of our experience.

Later, we finally got into our new room and fell asleep quickly. We arrived back to our new room to take a nap from our sleepless night and were rudely awakened by the owner knocking on our door. He started yelling at us as to why we talked to the local Information Office, instead we should have talked to him first. He made a remark that "90% of the New York hostels have the bed bugs problem". It's common in this line of business. So it is just our bad luck!! He said we could move out of his hostel if we have so much complaint. Keep in mind, at this point of time, we were tired and exhausted on top of that "Itching".

The itching and swelling were getting worse on the 3rd day. On the check out day, we asked the owner if he has any medical cream to treat the itchiness, the answer was NO. Unwillingly, he refunded us only 50% of the 1st night charges.
What a dreadful and unforgettable experience in staying at this Hostel.

Although this was our worst hostel experience ever, we hope this review does not stop you from coming to this beautiful part of the country. The magnificent view of Schilthorn, Jungfrau, Monch, and Eiger are just beyond words. The walking trails are stunning.

Just remember, be aware of when you pick out your lodging location.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room with wood panels.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Gorgeous little hostel, had a real family house feel to it even though its quite big. Each level had it own bathroom, kitchen and eating area - everything you would need for a stay in this town. Staff were lovely and always easy to deal with, also gave great suggestions for sights and food. Ask for the lauterbrunnen card which gives you discounts to go up into the alps.
Excellent hostel would stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We booked a double room and stayed in this hostel for 3 nights from Sep 25-28, the only good things of this hostel is the location, except this, we had a horrible experience for the stay.

1) my husband was bitten by flea after 1st night, there was only 2 bites so we didn't realize there is flea in the bed (we thought it was bitten by mosquito). After 2nd and 3rd nights, my husband felt very itchy and more and more bites are found all over the body: arms, legs, neck, face, feet, hands...it is so horrible!

2) I was told we need to change room for the last night, I thought we just need to move our things to another room directly, so I didn't object this request or raise out any concern. However, we're only told that we need to check out first and check-in again later when my husband went to the reception to ask how to change the room, then we need to tidy up all of the things and pack our luggages immediately, and we are asked to put our luggages in the drying room (it is just a common area in the hostel and the floor is so dirty) before going out for sight-seeing. As you know it is quite trouble to tidy up and pack the luggages for a long-trip traveller, this cause us much inconvenience before going out for sight-seeing that morning, moreover, we need to remove the pillow case, bed sheet, quilt cover for the check-out and make the bed again for the 2nd check-in.

3) For the first 2 nights, we lived in room# 10, there is a small kitchen on the same floor, and there is a cupboard in the kitchen for every room to put their own cooking materials like jam, spaghetti, etc...., we put something's in our own cupboard at 1st night, however, when we're going to start cooking at 2nd night, we found our cupboard is emptied. Then we found our own things were put in the "free food" cupboard which free to use for other travelers. I don't understand why the staff for cleaning move our things from our cupboard to the public cupboard, I was really angry about this, luckily, our foods are still there and hasn't been consumed by other travelers yet.

We are so regret to book this hostel during staying in the beautiful Lauterbrunnen, we still need to worry that the flea is attached on the clothes after leaving there, and finally we disposed the sleepwear as we don't want to bring the flea back to our home. I definitely would not recommend my friends to stay in this hostel if they visit Lauterbrunnen.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Zermatt, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Good atmosphere, helpful staff , very clean and warm inside the room which is really important, it can get really cold in Stechelberg!I only stayed one night with some mates and I can recommend the hostel. Even the price is not too bad for Switzerland.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in this Hostel and everything went okay, the room is really good and clean and with good view, until one day one of the male staff, (maybe the owner of the hostel) showed his rude behavior. We supposed to transfer to the other room but since it it's breakfast time we decided to eat first. This male staff went to our room and about to open it, when I saw him I asked him what's going on. He shouted in at us in front of some people that he is waiting since 7am and he want us to transfer to the other room immediately so that he can clean the room.

But in the other hand the view from the hostel was really stunning..

Room Tip: Chose a waterfall view room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Valley Hostel? Share your experiences!