“Strategic location and value for money” 5 of 5 stars

You added Valley Hostel to your Saves list
Valley Hostel
Fuhren, Lauterbrunnen CH-3822, Switzerland   |
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“Strategic location and value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for our short stay in Lauterbrunnen. It is within walking distance to Lauterbrunnen train station. Room was clean and very secure. The hostel itself was very clean and you are not allowed to use your own shoes inside the house, had to change into a slipper.The room we booked was a double bed room and facing the mountains. Very nice view. Recommended!

Room Tip: Check in was late in the afternoon. If you arrive early,go and have a cup of coffee at the nearby co...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Korean first
Auckland Central, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Booked this due to the good reviews it had and upon arrival it did seem like a nice place with clean rooms and friendly receptionist lady. However the next morning we tried to cook breakfast and was told by the guy that kitchen is closed at ten which we didn't know. So I explained that we were both sick with a cold which is why we slept in and that we didn't know there was a sign in the kitchen. He still refused us and called me a liar and that I should have known. I pleaded again to just let us eat something hot cause we were sick then he got right in my face and started yelling saying hes the owner and these are the rules and told us we had 5 min to pack and leave.

I have never been treated so rudely before.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Rude and terribly un-welcoming to our 2 kids (when we checked in she directly asked if our kids "were going to cause a problem?" and our kids were not misbehaving), owner mis-calculated charges for our 2 nights there and had to ask us for more money, we asked for breakfast for 2 mornings, they didn't charge us for breakfast for both mornings so there was no breakfast the second morning, thank goodness I had bought some things to eat... Not much of a loss anyways, "breakfast" was 6CHF/person and consisted of 2 slices of bread, jam and coffee. Wow, for that, do you think you could spring for some fruit??? We've been all over Europe and I used to live in France (so I know rude and small European breakfasts) but this place was terrible. They also couldn't accomodate our family (3 adults, 2kids) in one room together, we had to split up. Clean place and good location, but be prepared for attitude and check your bill.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

We loved our experience at the valley hostel. Our view was simply breathtaking! It overlooked the mountain and waterfall. The bed was comfy. My boyfriend loved the pillows as they are super soft. There are various kitchens at the hostel that are well equiped so you can make your own meals. (a good idea as the area is ++$$. A spaghetti at a restaurant will set you back >$20!). The location is great. It's a 5 minute walk to the train station and cable car to Murren and Coop grocery store. Trummelbach falls are ~20-30 min away by a nice walk.

• Stayed August 2012
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

My wife and I (we are both 30yrs old) stayed here for 3 nights last weekend and for me, this was my first hostel experience. I kind of hate to admit this, but I love a great hotel. So, I have to admit, I was a little reluctant to try Valley Hostel over another place. However, some friends of ours had stayed here before and said it was great, so why not? First thing first. If you are going to this area, STAY IN LAUTERBRUNNEN! Trust me, do not stay in Interlaken. Lauterbrunnen is about a 15min drive from Interlaken and about a thousands times more incredible. The town itself is what you dream Switzerland will be like. As far as the Valley Hostel, it was everything we wanted it to be. We stayed in a private upstairs room and it was honestly perfect for what we needed. Nothing too fancy, but who needs it when you're in Swiss Alps. For us, it was great and in a perfect location. The staff there gave us all the information we needed about the best hikes and restaurants to eat at. They couldn't have been nicer. You do have to take your shoes off when inside, which is kind of strange, but hey, I wouldn't want to clean up peoples muddy boots after hiking all day. All in all, this place is an amazing hostel to stay in for the price and it provided everything we needed during our stay in Lauterbrunnen. I would recommend it to anyone who isn't looking for the finest hotels. For that, Interlaken is best bet.

Room Tip: I personally would pay a little extra for a private room. You get more private bathrooms and rooms c...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hostel is beautifully situated in the valley. From here, one can walk one of the many nature trails, ride up the mountain in a gondola, or float down to the valley floor in a parachute (base jumping). The hostel is a brief walk from the train station and very easy to find. There is only one main street in Lauterbrunnen. It is clearly a hostel, so do not expect a five star hotel. With that being said, it is clean and efficiently run. The receptionists were friendly and helpful, providing us with trail maps. They also have coupons for various attractions in the area.

You are requested to leave your shoes at the front door and wear slippers, so bring your own slippers or flip-flops. (Flip-flops were great because I wore them in the shower.) My friends and I had a shared room and bathroom. The toilet was right down the hall, but we had to go downstairs to shower. Towels and linens were provided. However, the towels were very tiny, and you are only allotted two per person. If you have room in your luggage, it is a good idea to pack your own. Our room had two bunk beds and a loft above that. If you are traveling with friend, someone will have to sleep high up in the loft. You will not be spending much time indoors, so the shared room and bathroom were not much of an inconvenience.

There is an equipped kitchen at guests’ disposal. Guests are expected to clean up after themselves; consequently, the kitchen was not as clean as the rooms. There is also refrigerator and shelf storage place for food. The town has only one grocery store. Be sure to check their hours. If you get back too late in the day, you will have to go hungry. I know they are closed on Sundays. Valley Hostel also has a nice outdoor patio with chairs and tables. It is a restful place where one can sit and watch the sunset over the waterfalls. If you are a no frills person and do not have a problem sharing a room with strangers, you will enjoy staying at the Valley Hostel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

We absolutely loved our stay here at the Valley Hostel. We were greeted very nicely by Stefan who walked us up to our room which was quite spacious and had its own little balcony. The views from the room were breathtaking. We stayed in a private twin which was located in a small 2 storey cottage containing 4 rooms on each floor. We had cooking facilities available which were quite good. There was only one bathroom/toilet on the floor but we coild just walk down the stairs to use the hostels if needed All toilet/bathrooms were kept extremely clean. The wifi worked perfectly in our room and out on the lawn whilst sitting in the sun. Valley hostel is located right in the centre of the town with an easy walk to everything you need whilst in Lauterbrunnen. Everyone working at the hostel was so lovely and friendly. We would definitely stay here again if we returned to Lauterbrunnen!

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Valley Hostel? Share your experiences!