“Average experience” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lauterbrunnen
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Average experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The hotel is centrally located (however, everything is centrally located as it is a very small town) on the only street in town. The view from the balcony was great, and I liked how they set up the balcony - it felt private, I could not see my neighbors, and had an unobstructed view of the valley and mountains. It also had a small table and chairs. The room itself was decent size and had all necessities. However what totally drove me crazy was soundproofing - or lack of it. The hotel is old and built of wood. This means you can hear everything other guests are doing - using the bathroom, walking, talking.. Glad there were no honeymooners in the room above, lol. Two night out of three I was staying there I could not sleep well at all because I was woken up by people jumping and stomping, at 5am, obviously packing to leave the hotel or go out. Also I could here everything from a big patio - restaurant was right below, and some people stayed out late. My suggestion - either pick a place made of concrete, or stay on the top floor (mind there is no elevator). The hotel felt old, cheap, and overpriced.
Breakfast was reasonably good, however dinner was bland. You will find better and cheaper food at other places - wonderful cafe style meals at Airtime Action, value and tasty meals at Steinbock, or great healthy food at Silberhorn.

Room Tip: Only stay here if you can get a top floor room with a balcony
Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Oklahoma City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Charming hotel in sceinic setting. Room had a balcony with an excellent view of the Swiss valley. The hotel is in the heart of town within easy walking distance to many places. The restaruant meal as well as the breakfasts were good. The bathroom was roomy and functional. We would stay there again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I can't believe what some people write, this hotel is the most welcoming and friendly hotel we have ever stayed in. The hotel its self is extremely clean and well presented and Mark and Ursula clearly take pride in what they offer. The meals in the restaurant are without doubt delicious which is why we ate there for our entire 8 day stay. We can't rate our experience at Hotel Oberland from the building, the owners, waitresses, receptionist and housemaids highly enough.
After 3 visits to Oberland we can't wait for our fourth.
Why do people even book to go to 2 star hotels when they know it isn't going to be the Ritz!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I also wonder what people's reference point is, when giving this hotel a 4 or 5 star rating. I was completely unimpressed with this hotel. The carpets are old and dirty, patched with duct tape. Even the door to the room suggested a problem, as the door to our room was thin and old and just a cheap door. Inside the room it was tacky and cheap. Looked like no money had been used to upgrade the room in 50 years or more. There was a huge step up you had to take to get into the bathroom, which was not plumbed as well as our travel trailer is. I'm not kidding, either. Everything was make-do, and I did not sleep well, as a result. Everything here felt icky, like I wanted to shower once I left! To me, this owner is sucking every penny he can from a falling apart property. I would not have eaten here, other than the breakfast that came with the price of the room. I feel badly writing such a tough review on a hotel in such a pretty area. The one good thing was that they had free parking spots across the road from the hotel. Only good thing I have to say about the Oberland.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

a family owned hotel that has always offered a warm welcome over the last 25 years or so that I have visited, this year they surpassed themselves by offering tremendous support after I arrived with a broken motorcycle, they were more than willing to act as translators and mechanics! and with their help I managed to fix a major bearing failure in the managers own garage! this area offers superb motorcycling roads, and in the winter is a top ski destination, the Oberland is ideally situated for both pastimes and also for people looking to relax in breathtaking scenery.having read a couple of other views, I am disappointed that I didn't look for a box of tissues, and did stuff myself silly at breakfast

Room Tip: rooms at the front have the best view of the mountains, the village is too quiet for noise to be an...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a great place to stay while in Lauterbrunnen. Its right in the middle of the town and the room was very pleasant. The food was WONDERFUL and the people who worked there really tried to accommodate everyone. I think the bad reviews of this place are really funny, because you can always tell the people are spoiled Americans who think if it's not a Ritz Carlton, it's just worthless. This place has character. I hope I get to go back one day!

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw were great, with wonderful views. I heard the rooms facing the waterfall got hot...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Being a solo traveller, I generally dislike staying in hotels as it gets quite lonely but Hotel Oberland was wonderful. The room is very clean, very comfortable and the restaurant just downstairs is delicious and the owners are always up for a good chat. The room decor itself was so wonderful that it felt just like home with such an amazing view of the mountains. The owners go out of their way to help you, giving advice and information. They even drove me down to my bus stop in the morning to save me walking with my suitcase. All in all, a highly recommended place to stay and would definitely stay again next time without a doubt.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Oberland? Share your experiences!