“Definately the place to eat in Lauterbrunnen” 5 of 5 stars

same address at Hotel Silberhorn, Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Swiss
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This restaurant is located next to the cable car station and across from the train station, but you must walk up a short hill to the Hotel Silberhorn to reach it. The restaurant was without a doubt the best one we ate in while in Lauterbrunnen although all of the restaurants and even the internet cafe had excellent food. The decor was more upscale than the other hotel restaurants and seemed more updated, also. We wouldn't have known about the Silberhorn restaurant if our bicycle-tour guide hadn't told us about it when we asked her which was her favorite restaurant in Lauterbrunnen.
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Definately the place to eat in Lauterbrunnen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We were relieved to finally find a decent restaurant in Lauterbrunnen and ate here twice during our week's stay.

The setting (we ate on both occasions in the conservatory overlooking the valley and with views up to Wengen) is delightful and the service charming. English may be limited (and why should it be otherwise) but every effort was made to be helpful.

The food was excellent. They have a large range of Fitnessteller (basically a huge mixed salad to which you add your choice of protein) which was delicious. Pork schnitzel was well cooked and not at all greasy (ditto fries) and a dish of chicken in a mushroom and herb sauce was outstanding.

Puddings looked good but we never had room! Wine by the glass very reasonably priced.

This restaurant stands head and shoulders above anything else Lauterbrunnen has to offer.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
Washington, DC
“A mixed experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I had dinner at the restaurant of the Hotel Silberhorn one evening in June; my experience was a mix of positives and negatives.

I was decidedly disappointed with my table. When I made my reservation for dinner for one about a month in advance, I asked for a window-side table. The response was that they could not guarantee that they could hold one of those four-top tables until my somewhat late arrival, but that they would keep my request in mind. I can understand that position. When I arrived, I was thrilled to see that a window-side table was available, but I was not given that table – instead, the person who seated me placed a “reserved” sign on that table as we walked by it on our way to a two-top that was not window-side, but had been set for me. OK, maybe they had another reservation or felt the need to keep at least one window-side four-top open. Then, even before I was given a menu, the party at the window-side four-top next to me departed; I was told I could not have it. A few minutes later, a solo man (I’m a solo woman) walked in, made it very clear that he did not have a reservation, and asked if he could have that table. He was given it - even though there were other empty two-tops that were not window-side. All of the other window-side tables emptied before I was given my entree. The “reserved” table was not occupied until I had already requested my bill, and then it was given to a couple. I found this refusal to honor the request I made when making my reservation well in advance very irritating, particularly because there were so many empty window-side tables.

Aside from that, I found the service pleasant and attentive and the setting was more upscale than I encountered elsewhere in Lauterbrunnen. The wines my server recommended complimented my dishes very nicely.

My meal was also a bit of a mixed bag: I enjoyed my mixed salad, which included a nice combination of tastes and textures. For my main corse, I had pork cordon bleu, served with potatoes and vegetables. The pork was just a bit overcooked -- the breading was charred and tough in a few small places -- but it was generally very tasty. The potatoes were very nicely prepared, but some of the vegetables -- the broccoli and cauliflower --were seriously overcooked.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Best place to get the little extra in Lauterbrunnen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We were recommended by our host at the apartement we rented, to go to Silberland and try their special plate with either meat (several choises) or fish, with salad, delicate fruits, berries, several sauces and tasty french fries (or rice, potatoes). This plate is called Bourguignon-Teller.
An unforgetable meal, both in taste and creativity. Very nice to sit outside, the Silberhorn is placed a little withdrawn from the busy street. Pleasant service, beautiful place. Worth every Franc!

Visited July 2013
Paso Robles
“Nicest restaurant in Lauterbrunnen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We ate here twice on our 6 day visit to Lauterbrunnen. The quality of the food and the atmosphere is a step above every other place in town! It was the place we chose to eat at to end our 3 1/2 week trip in Europe. Try to get a table on the enclosed patio.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Reno, NV USA
“Nice, Quiet Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We'd dined at 2 of the 3 restaurants on Lauterbrunnen's main drag, and decided to walk up the hill to Silberhorn for a change. It was very pleasant, much more quiet than the other restaurants, and a step above in class. The enclosed patio was nice and bright. We were pleased to be served a whole pitcher of ice water and not be charged for it, since we also enjoyed wine and beer with our meal. Hubby had a kinda' weird "spicy stroganoff spaghetti" that wasn't spicy, and didn't have the usual tomato-sour cream sauce, but he said it was pretty good, with very tender meat. I enjoyed the chicken kabobs, but was really wowed by the beautiful mixed green salad with fruit that accompanied it. Good service, too: friendly but not chummy. If we were staying longer, we would have gone back for another meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Food