“The Wonderful Fazenda Nova” 5 of 5 stars

Fazenda Nova Country House
Santo Estevao, Tavira 8800-504, Portugal   |
Ranked #1 of 33 Specialty Lodging in Tavira
London, United Kingdom
“The Wonderful Fazenda Nova”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I can hardly add anything to the comments made by 2 previous reviewers other than to say that I agree with everything they have articulated about Fazenda Nova. When we were there like Chris I kept saying "This ticks all the boxes for me." and I am a fussy traveller. Loved the place, loved the owners Hallie and Tim and thought the staff were wonderful. An ideal place for chilling out in style. We are going back next year.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Clapham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Cath and I were privileged to be the first official guests at Fazenda Nova, a little piece of heaven in the less travelled area of the Algarve, near the lovely town of Tavira. We're lucky to be a well-travelled couple but we've never come across anywhere that ticks every single box like Fazenda Nova did.

The British owners, Tim and Hallie Robinson, were wonderful, warm hosts who went out of their way at every turn to ensure that we enjoyed our stay to the max. They've spent years bringing their plan to fruition and every aspect of the Fazenda Nova experience has been lovingly considered.

Our room was spacious, beautifully appointed and with it's own private garden looking out across the estate. The infinity pool isn't surrounded by the usual collection of plastic sunbeds and umbrellas. Instead, guests relax on exceptionally comfortable wooden loungers, shaded by the olive trees that skirt the pool on two sides. Inside the main building there's a comfortable communal area and the rooms are sprinkled with an array of interesting items that Hallie has picked up from the surrounding towns and villages.

The food was yet another highlight - we ate 'in' more times than we went out because the quality was consistently excellent, with the chef delivering his own unique take on certain local dishes but also conjuring up meals that were entirely his own invention. Ricardo's knowledge of Portuguese wine meant that every bottle was a perfect accompaniment for the dishes we'd chosen. It was an added bonus that the other guests we met were all great people and often we'd all find ourselves out on the terrace at the end of the evening, sharing a drink and a chat with Tim and Hallie.

It almost sounds to good to be true but we can verify that it's all very real. We couldn't recommend the Fazenda Nova experience more highly and we will definitely be back. Our only worry is whether there'll be any availability ...

Room Tip: Room 6 was wonderful. But they all looked great. There are 2 family apartments available too I belie...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Thank goodness I read the travel section of the Guardian on the 10th of August otherwise I would never visited the fabulous Fazenda Nova or met the fantastic owners Tim and Hallie Robinson, not to mention Ricardo the superb onsite chef and the ever reliable and well informed Ricardo the hotels sommelier come general manager.

Nestling amongst Carob, Almond and Olive trees Fazenda Nova is a lovingly and caringly restored 10 guest roomed farmhouse just 30 minutes drive from Faro airport and 20 minutes from the sea, on Portugal’s eastern coast. Its owners Tim and Hallie Robinson have left no stone unturned in creating a tranquil, high quality, luxury accommodation from the ruins of an old farmhouse. Their eye to detail and desire to return the Fazenda to its original state, coupled with high quality modern furnishings and fittings have resulted in a wonderful tranquil oasis in the middle of the countryside. It is a place where you can forget about the everyday humdrum of life, lie by the pool on the fashionable wooden loungers or lie in the shade of the trees in one of the many cocoons hung there by Tim. You can eat freshly prepared locally sourced products for slunch or dinner, (I forget to mention the marvellous breakfasts) and take advantage of Tim and Hallie’s extensive knowledge of the area, not to mention their enthusiasm for everything connected to Fazenda Nova, it’s history and it’s restoration.

I could go on and on but the best thing to do is try it for yourself. Whether it is one of the two apartments or one of the eight suites, you won’t be disappointed, all the rooms have gardens and although we looked at them all it’s difficult to pick a favourite. If pushed though I’d ask for room 6 with its lovely view out over the fields.

I must say I hesitated long and hard about posting this review, not only have I never posted a review before but I was reluctant to share somewhere I visited during it’s opening week for fear of letting everyone else in on the secret. Good things however should be shared and Tim and Hallie deserve every success for their brave venture. I for one will be back and I dare to suggest that when you’ve tried it, so will you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavira
Ozadi Tavira Hotel
Vila Gale Tavira
Vila Gale Tavira
#6 of 15 in Tavira
4.0 of 5 stars 650 reviews

Been to Fazenda Nova Country House? Share your experiences!