“A truly fantastic find” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“A truly fantastic find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This restaurant is a must for all food lovers.
The seasonal and very distinctive menu combines the best quality of local fresh ingredients.
The owners are also the chef's and they make a point of meeting each and every customer to ensure that their experience was a great one.
Booking highly recommended.
Must be in line for a Michelin Star soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

australia
“Excellent meal New Years Eve”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were very impressed with the meals including presentation. Would strongly recommend the restaurant. As with most places, we did have to pay with cash. It was a cold damp night, warm and cosy inside. Good service.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
“We almost walked out.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

When you walk into a restaurant with only 4 customers in it, there should be no excuse for poor, slow service. Well this is exactly what we got when walking into Amore Vero. The 4 of us took seats by the wood burner and selected drinks that took something like 20 minutes to arrive. We then had to ask for the menu 3 times. During this time, a couple who had reserved a table arrived, looked at the menus, waited for service then promptly left due to the lack of attention. They muttered something like "Good luck" to us as they left.

Not the start to the evening we were expecting given the preivous reviews of this place.

Eventually we sat at our table and ordered. Service then picked up, although at times was still baffling.

The starters were all excellent. I had a cheese board with selection of homemade compotes which was better than I could have expected, I could happily have eaten it all night. Others starters selected were the poached egg in artichoke cream and scallops with bacon in a pea puree.

For main I selected the risotto with asparagus and scallops which again was brilliant. Served with pink peppercorns it was faultless. The others on the table had the duck confit in blueberry sauce and the crab spaghetti. The only small complaint was the shell in the crab spaghetti. At these prices that should not have happened. However, we all enjoyed what we had.

To finish we ordered the selection of mixed Italian cheeses. There was something for everyone here, my favourite being the parmesan but included smoked ricotta and pecorino with truffles.

Now when I say service was baffling at time this is what I meant. The wood burner appeared to go out at one point and the temperature dropped noticably. When we asked the waiter if another log could be put on, he mentioned that the chef was busy. I'm not sure why the chef had to do this but the waiter did find a fan heater he aimed at our table. Also, rather than clear the empty bottles on the table, the waiter was more inclined to shuffle them around to make space. If I had word in his defence, he was the only person serving, and maybe he was new, but there were basic mistakes made that I'd not expect in one of the premier dining sites a town has. He was friendly though, and once at the table seemed genuinely interested in our enjoyment. At the end of the meal the chef came for a chat which I always like, and was obviously enthusiastic about his food and explained the cheeses to us.

However, please note, our bill came to a shade over 200 Euros and only when paying were we told that cards were not accepted. I'm not sure if this was a temporary thing but we couldn't see clear note of this before eating. We may have missed it if it was noted but it would need to be clearer. Also, we were advised that after New Years Eve, the restaurant will be closed until March.

In summary, some of the best food I've eaten when in Portugal that we nearly missed out on due to some of the worst service I've received anywhere. We will, however, be back and hopefully in season the service issue will be resolved.

Amsterdam
“Amazing place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

That's for sure the best restaurant in Tavira !!!
From the satarters till main course it's everything fantastic. with a charming presetation dishes.
Pleasant ambience and service.
Just a little recommendation the wines list is a bit short and expensive...

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Perth, Australia
“Second time and still excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

What can I say? Lovely service and amazing food. A quiet place that I really recommend.
I have been in Amore Vero in July and loved it so I had to return.
We went with a few friends that really like Typical Portuguese food and werent very impressed at the start. But even they surrender to the tender stake and flavour fusion.
The cheese plater and the lovely wine were a perfect finish.
I will definitely return when Im in Tavira.

• Visited September 2012