“Simply beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lake Morskie Oko

Lake Morskie Oko
Palenica Bialczanska | 49°11′49″N 20°04′12″E, Tatra National Park 34-500, Poland
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Bodies of Water, Outdoors
sydney
4 attraction reviews
“Simply beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

One of the most beautiful places I have been to. If you are in Zakopane you can not miss this. There are buses that run every half hour across the road from the main bus station and drop you off at the foot of the hike up to Morskie Oko.

I did the hike by foot as I feel sorry for the poor horses, it's quite a trek but if you're fit it's well worth it. Even if you're not I think you will enjoy the challenge! (Like me)

Allow yourself about 7 hours for this. It took me 2.5 hours to walk up, then another hour to walk around the lake, and I also sat down for some lunch. Then it took me 2 hours to walk down.

Unfortunately I arrived there too late in the day otherwise I would have done the second hike up to Czarny Staw.

The views at Mkrskie Oko are something that have to be seen to be believed, just stunning. The only thing I did not like was the amount of people there, if really took away from the serenity however if you go walking around the lake you can find some peace and quiet and just take in the views with no one around.

Just beautiful and well worth the trip. Even if you are just staying in Krakow and not in Zakopane, I would still recommend doing a day trip from krakow to Morskie Oko.

• Polish first
Roma
7 attraction reviews
“Salita piuttosto dura per persone non allenate, specialmente d'inverno con la neve ed il giaccio.. 9 kilometri in salita”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

When you get to the lake is really beautiful, but to get there..Well, I am 63 and not that trained to climb a mount with snow and ice!! We were there on dec 31,2012: loooot of people and really, for me, very tough! People should be told that yes, there are some 9 kilometers but: up the mount! And, moreover: being exausted I wanted to take the horse sledge on the way back, well: notwithstanding they had said they would finish their job at 5pm, at 4,45 pm they left us and many others to walk down in the dark of the evening! Not fair, because finally I could make it, but: what if I or someone else had serious problems? People could have gone up with the sledge relying to take also the ride back but.. This is why my rating is..average...!

Visited December 2012
London
“Beautiful spot - Lake Morskie Oko”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Definitely that´s one of the most beautiful places I´ve ever been! A low degree of difficulty. Great views and great walks. I highly recommend - especially in winter.

Visited November 2012
Australia
14 attraction reviews
“Spectacular location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This is a beautiful area to go hiking. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 rating is that it gets very busy.

We got there early from Zakopane and decided to take the horse carriage up. It was a very good idea, it saved our legs and put us in front of a lot of other walkers. By the time we got to the lake it wasn't very busy and we got to enjoy it before it got busy. We were there in the off season, so can't imagine how busy it gets in summer!!!

This is a walk for just about anyone. We saw all types of people walking, young, old, high heels, hiking boots, you name it, they were there. As I said, get there early and you will be treated to one of the most beautiful places in Poland.

Even if you decide to walk the start of the trail, which is on paved roads all the way up, it still isn't that hard. We walked back, so it was a good compromise between taking the horse carriage and walking.

By the time we circumnavigated the lake, it was full of people at the lodge, so be ready for crowds, unless you go there in the middle of winter.

Visited October 2012
Marsascala, Malta
6 attraction reviews
“Great place and great trekking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

What a perfect place to visit if you like being close to nature and enjoy doing some trekking.

All the trails are very clearly marked and most are just the right amount of challenging to be enjoyable.

The only shortcoming, is that the area is full of people at peak season and as a consequence the wildlife in the area is sparse at best.

Visited September 2012