“Άρχοντας!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 34 Restaurants in Monemvasia
Cuisines: Fish & Chips, Cafe, Asian, Greek
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Delivery, Reservations
Athens
“Άρχοντας!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Best mezze place when you visit monemvasia.
Mattheos and Yannis are very friendly!
High quality in best prices!
DON'T attempt to try every beer they have... You ll get drunk... 135 and still counting!!!
My favorite punk elephant!!! Excellent choice!

• Visited August 2014

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Como Province, Italy
“mateo kalyteros”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We have visited Mateo's Cafe in Monemvasia during the last days of football world cup with greek friends.
We had twice lunch and dinner, good food, good beer, good view, turtles show, Mateo is charming and tireless at the same time, great sence of humour, we definitely recommend his Cafe Bar. Adriano, Marinella, Aggelos, Eleni

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Columbus, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Friends, food, and good drinks all around!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

What more can I say about this place? The staff, led by Matthaios and Giannis, are very friendly and very genuine guys - they smiled warmly when I walked in and I had a fun time talking to them in Greek. They remembered who I was the second night I went there, which is great, and they were happy to chat about beer with me to make a good choice! I tried, variously, their octopus, saganaki, and trout - all were just delicious (νόστιμα!!!). I can't say enough about the octopus in wine sauce - perfect texture with tons of flavor that just can't be beat. As if that weren't enough, the restaurant stocks one of the most impressive beer selections I have seen in Greece. They had everything from the top Belgian trappist ales to a fine selection of German beers. I talked beer with Matthaios to pair the right drink with the food I had ordered.
In terms of location, the restaurant is located right on the beach/harbor on the mainland side of Monemvasia, which makes for wonderful atmosphere as you take in your delicious food and drink right next to the water. Monemvasia is one of my favorite places in the world, and I'll sure be going back again. I will definitely be eating and drinking at Matthaios' again! Cheers and thanks (ευχαριστώ)!

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Cafe/Bar in Monemvasia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

i can't speak highly enough about this place, the service is excellent, the drinks are great and its in the best location to soak up the atmosphere of Monemvasia, a perfect place to sit and relax with friends or to watch live sports in HD. it also has free WiFi and if you're hungry then the extensive menu has many delights, i loved the smoked eel which was delicious. The owners are passionate about what they do and the result is plenty of happy customers!

Manila, Philippines
“Warning!!! It can be habit forming............”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We have been visiting Monemvasia for years but this is my first time to eat lunch in this place. Because my friends knew Mateo from way back when we were ordered to simply sit down. Drinks orders were taken and off he went. The drinks promptly arrived and soon the food began to arrive: Anchovies in olive oil arrived as well as tzatziki and fried saganaki along with baskets of home baked bread. Next came the grilled squid and octopus and the Greek salad... WHEW!!!!!

My personal tip is to wear loose clothing when visiting Mateo's and again you've been warned: it's habit forming!!!!!!!!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere