“Darling Little Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Monemvasia
Pasadena, CA
“Darling Little Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

When my family and I arrived at Monemvasia we had no hotel to stay in. My mother and I are Greek so we went to a few hotels to check out the views (you really can't go wrong with the view anywhere you stay), accommodations and prices. We stopped by this hotel first and spoke with a lovely lady at the front desk. We went to a few others right after but none compared. The others had more bells and whistles like an imam and control operated lighting, etc. but we didn't need all that. We wanted a clean and cute place to lay our heads at a great price, so we returned to Goulas and we are so glad we did! The staff was very nice and you really can't beat the price. I believe we paid 45 euros for one of the two rooms we got. Keep in mind this is off season pricing...we went in September. But either way you will be getting a much better rate than most other places. Another thing to note is that Goulas is very close to the castle walls (you can't drive your car past the opening door). Being so close to the doors made it much easier to get luggage in. I highly recommend Goulas Hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was my first visit to Monemvasia. Hotel Goulas is well located close to the gates of the castle hence easy to find. My room had great air conditioning, comfy bed and a bathroom that was built into the cave which was pretty cool. The hotel was clean and staff were happy to help. The wifi didn't reach my room which I found a little annoying. Breakfast was limited but everything else about the hotel and the castle was great.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Rugby, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Lovely room with a balcony (number 3) which meant we could eat outside, lovely kind owner, overall great experience! Despite lack of B&B there was coffee and milk, and tea in the rooms. Lovely priest hole in the corner of my room, which allowed air and the sound of the sea to come into the room.

Room Tip: Room 3 is adorable with a priest hole and a balcony, choose it if you can!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is a gorgeous, traditional little hideaway. We had a room which opened onto a courtyard enabling us to eat outside, under the stars, in the cool of the evening. It would take too long to describe Monemvasia here, but I strongly suggest you do a liitle research on this extraordinary place and then stay at Goulas. Monemvasia is pretty tricky to get to, but that just makes it even more special.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Nea Makri, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed in room 3 which has a huge terrace with amazing views of the sunrise. A small room but perfectly adequate, with an original fireplace (not for use) and a little 'priest hole' offset from the room.
My partner booked this hotel without my knowledge so I was a little concerned when checking Trip Advisor and seeing the comment about bites. My partner rang ahead to discuss this and was assured that 'this was not and never had been a problem' and indeed, if there was anything at all that we were not happy with, then there would be no charge for the room.
I have to say, it was perfect, very friendly staff, very clean rooms, reception area etc.
Free coffee provided - via a nice little machine in reception area.
If we are to return to Monemvasia, then this is the hotel we will return to!
Not sure if it was an 'off-season' price but I thought it was exceptional value for money at only 50e per night.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

I chose Goulas based on reviews at tripadvisor. The locale was easy because it was at the very beginning of the town. As expected, it was a very traditional building and rooms. Our room was simple and had a marvelous stone balcony with chairs to sit and soak up the water & scenery. But the next day we realized there was a problem with the bedding/bed! We were covered with bites... and it was not mosquitos!!! No one was arround to talk to so we left, releived to be out! I immediately contacted Goulas by email when we arrived at our next destination, and they gave a cursory "sorry we will correct it " but it felt empty. I would NOT recommend this as a place to stay. There are many other places..probably a bit more expensive, but do not risk saving $$$ at this wonderful town in exchange for days of pain!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

traditional, good position, well equipped. stayyed in room number 1 , nice sea view

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Goulas Hotel? Share your experiences!