“Jouney to the Salt Mines” 3 of 5 stars

Visit Wieliczka Salt Mine like an insider
Special Offer
$75*
and up
Krakow Super Saver: Auschwitz-Birkenau Half-Day...
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Wieliczka
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
London, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“Jouney to the Salt Mines”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We went on a Sunday by public transport, bus 304 which is down a street opposite the Galleria. We tried to go by train but because it was a Sunday, trains were every two hours. The bus trip was great with good views of the castle en-route. At the Salt Mines we were in a group of 100 people which was far too many. We had a guide and our own audios so we could hear her but several off the audios failed because the batteries hadn't been charged properly. I had read reviews and been advised by friends that the salt mines mustn't be missed. My own personal view is that I am glad I visited but it wasn't the highlight of my trip.

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
57 attraction reviews
“A Must See When Touring Poland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Last May, my clients experienced a tour that I put together with IntoPoland Tours in Warsaw. Anna Ostrowska is wonderful to work with. My clients are still talking about the Wieliczka Salt Mine. This part of their tour was one of their top highlights. I will be touring in October on a 9 day IntoPoland itinerary in Warsaw, Krakow and Wroclaw that has been built for me. Because of a walking problem, I am disappointed that I won't be able to see the Salt Mine. However, from the photos I have seen from my clients and their verbal comments about their experience , I feel I can truly recommend it.

Visited May 2012
Rochdale
10 attraction reviews
“Dont go if you have problems walking downstairs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The trip is 73 polish zlotti which is about £18. It starts off with a long and winding walk down hundreds of stairs. It is a guided tour and fairly interesting, I would not be able to do the extra hour and you have an option to not do it. Its up to you. The lift back up after the tour is interesting, and a good end to the trip. All in all a must do and two hours is enough. Watch out when you buy water from the shop its mildly sal;tyy..shocj shock

Espoo, Finland
“Interesting place, but organisation of the tourcould be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We went to Wieliczka with a public bus. The salt mine has several entrances with different guided tours. The information and prices of these are not very well presented. The price is slightly higher than one had expected. The english speaking guide was clearly tired in her work speaking slowly, the microphone working or not. The guided part finished somewhat befroe the end and it was just mentioned "go further and there is the exit or you can continue another hour to the museum". No mentioning that the museum tour was a separate tour with separate ticket. The exit was a long way further, the visitors following each other trying to find the right way to the elevator. There is a lot to be improved.

Brisbane, Australia
9 attraction reviews
“So beautiful, a must visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is a popular tourist attraction and I see why! It's not manufactured as some attractions with roller coasters etc, it's a real mine with a great history. And just wait until you get into the chapel!

A display of the works of true artists as well as an amazing tour through the history of salt mining when salt was worth more than gold, I highly recommend visiting Wieliczka.

English speaking and knowledgeable tour guides (our guide's father had actually sculpted one of the works in the mine!), well paced with time to explore but not too slow that it went too long, and a cafe at the bottom! I'm tempted to get married in the wedding chapel down there it struck me so much!! I can't fault the place.

Visited May 2012