Herend Porcelanium (Herendi Porcelangyar Factory)
Kossuth Lajos u. 144, Herend, Hungary
88-261-144
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Herend
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors are offered a variety of activities including a factory tour, porcelain-making demonstrations plus a visit to the Herend Museum.
Amman, Jordan
6 attraction reviews
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I enjoyed alot my visit to this factory and the porcelain making .. was happy to get to know most of the patterns and the history behind them like victorian pattern, imperial and godollo .. etc enjoyed my cup of coffee afterwards .. just amazing!

Visited September 2013

19 attraction reviews
“A life time goal achieved and well worth the time and effort envolved”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

I have long been a collector and admirer of this hand painted porcelain. For a company that started making copies of Meissen for noble houses the firm has flurished. There is a packaged day tour to Lake Balaton and the Herend factory. Unfortunately it only runs one day a week. I had scheduledy stay to include the trip, but the date was switched. I learned I could go to Herend, the village by train. I asked directions at my hotel desk( the Wonderful Gellart Hotel). The young man looked up the train info and I learned that the trains run from tje south railway station. This is not far from the Gellert on the Pest side. I bought a ticket. There was one train change Involved in each direction. I then went to check my route at the information booth. The lady said I needed to buy more train mileage as my route overshot Herend and back tracked to Herend. I went and bought more miles. It is very important to note the exact times of the trains! Outside Budapest there are not many English speakers. The trains run on time.
People will help you, the wonderful train assistant at Herend showed me with gestures where to go. There were no taxis at the station. There were no cars at the station. I walked to the factory, it is about a mile and a quarter. It is a juge building with a large Herend Lion out front of the tour area. The museum is next to the factory. Wonderful porcelain and placesettings from all time periods ofanufacture. A free coffee was included in the tour, but I had no time. I watched the movie, quite good and walked through the molding, painting and assembly part of the tour. My kind guide had great English. They give everyone a Herend rose-unpainted. It was charming. I ran back to the train station and sure enough, just on time
my train came into I hopped on, waived to my friend the conductor and off I went, back through Vesprem to Budapest. It was a very satisfying experience.

Visited June 2013
Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
18 attraction reviews
“Interactive, worth-a-visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I got the opportunity to visit Herend during my visit to Hungary in April, thanks to my good friend Julia who works as porcelain painter there. It's very interactive, upon arrival tourists were taken to the theatre to watch a short movie about porcelain and how its started in Hungary. Then after, we were taken to see how porcelain was made, starting from moulding up until the painting stage. I am truly blessed because I had the chance to try out painting the porcelain :) There is a café, a souvenir shop near to the factory, and you can see vast of porcelain collections at the mini museum there. Herend can be reached from Budapest about 2-hours, can be part of day trip to Lake Balaton as well. Worth a visit and recommended to those who travel with children. There is English-speaking guide too so don't worry about language barrier :)

Visited April 2013
Papa, Hungary
3 attraction reviews
“Beautiful inside in the porcelain making art”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

If you are in the area it is worth a visit. They have good English speaking guides and the tour is just agreeable and you get the chance of seeing almost all the processes of porcelain making. The museum is nice to see too. It is also appropriate for children. Have a coffee at their restaurant, the coffee is average but you will drink it out of Herend cups:)

Visited May 2012
Monterrey, Mexico
86 attraction reviews
“If you´re passing by...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

If you are planning to visit Herend Factory you´re probably on your way to Lake Balaton. A trip to this sole attraction isn`t worth it, but if your spending a couple of hours in your Tihany´s day trip, then it´s justified.
Once you´ve seen a porcelain factory you´ve seen them all. This particular factory produces very traditional, antique styles. If you like traditional dinning rooms (Queen Anne, Chippendale, Louis XIV, Victorian, Edwardian) you´ll be delighted.
If you go, don´t miss the cafeteria. It´s not only charming, they use many different porcelain styles to serve the coffee and tea.

Visited May 2012