“Never tried Indian wine!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Never tried Indian wine!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We found this as we were looking for another restaurant we used to use in Riga. One of our group is a curry freak and so we could not pass by. Our waiter was very patient with us as we took quite sometime making our minds up. As three of us are vegetarians we were looking forward to the menu and were not disappointed. My wife started with a soup and our curry eating friend with a mixed vegetable starter. The other two of us were not having starters but the vegetable starter was so large we had to help out. All four main courses were of a very high standard and also large portions. I had ordered a naan which I had to remind the waiter about, however when it came although very nice I couldn't eat it all as the my main dish was so large.
The highlight of the ordering was seeing an Indian white wine on the menu, we all agreed that this was worth a try and again we were not disappointed. Yes it is a bit pricey but you do get what you pay for.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
Paris
“Good and bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I know the title of this review sounds vague, but let me explain:

The restaurant is very difficult to find. I walked up and down Skarnu street and never found number 7. I asked various locals to point me in the right direction, but none of them had heard of Indian Raja...not a good sign, right?

I had to eventually search for the website on my phone, find the telephone number and call the restaurant for directions. The hostess was very nice, and explained how to reach the restaurant.

The menu is extensive and there are plenty of vegetarian choices. I was in the mood for something very spicy, so I ordered the prawns madras with the garlic naan.
I've eaten in countless Indian restaurants, and I must admit the main dish was excellent. Maybe a tad too much ginger, which got progressively overwhelming as I ate, but otherwise, it was the perfect mix of creamy, and spicy, with lots of delicious flavour.

Then the bad: I made a mistake of ordering the Gulab Jamun for dessert. This dessert is usually my favorite in Indian restaurants, and its really hard to get it wrong, as its a simple dish. But at Indian Raja, they got it VERY very wrong!

The 'doughnuts' had the consistency of jelly! It was squishy and gelatin like. And the 'syrup' it came in had the consistency of phlegm! Yuck! I don't mean to be disgusting, but everything about this dessert just erased the good memory of the main dish, and left me feeling totally grossed out!

I sent the entire dessert dish back untouched, and the waiter didn't even ask if I had not enjoyed it.

I didn't even stay for a coffee, just asked for the bill as quick as possible, and left.
I wish I had chosen a different dessert, then perhaps the experience would have not been ruined.

The main dish was so good, and its a pity this review is jaded by the gross dessert experience..

Otherwise, this place is quite expensive, and I'd still recommend it...but just beware of the dessert!

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Very good Indian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Went to this Restaurant in 2010 & found it very good was surprized to see negative feedback. Of this I Would agree that it is expensive but you get what you pay for excellent Indian food. My Chicken Madras was very tasty the Bombay Aloo Potatos the best June enjoyed her Spinich Paneer. All in all I was very pleased with our meal.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very good Indian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

The Indian food here is very authentic and very tasty. One of their locations is right next to Kiwi Bar.

Visited February 2012
Riga, Latvia
“Quite expensive and average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

There are not many places in Riga that serve Indian food, especially such a wide variety of dishes. It is quite pricey and you might have difficulties finding it, but if you are an Indian food fan, it's worth trying, though don't expect it to be "cream of the crops". This place closes at 11 p.m. which is a minus, especially during the weekend.

• Visited August 2012