“Return guest” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 102 hotels in Riga
Quito
“Return guest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I periodically use Air Baltic between Copenhagen or Amsterdam and Moscow and have stayed twice at Hanza Hotel on the long layover. The staff is friendly and helpful. The wifi was fine and breakfast was good. The rate included the taxi back to RIX which was great. Both rooms have been well decorated and last night I had a twin room with one of my work colleagues who was travelling with me on part of this trip and the two beds we actually on different sides of an L shaped room giving excellent privacy.

The only negative was the light at night from the church and some talking on the street three floors down but shutting the windows and blinds was a satisfactory solution.

I would definitely go back next time I go thru Riga and would actually like to spend more time there staying at the hotel. The price/quality combination is excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

464 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Zagreb, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

It's a very warm and nicely vibrant hotel. I was with a group there that also had a lunch and dinner for four days in their pub did it very well!
Breakfast is very diverse, if you prefer local, or English or other - you get it all. Hotel is silent, nicely decorated and radiates freshness. They are also very proud of their Tripadvisor rating which shows that their care for feedback. Position is also great, very close to great market and river, 15 minutes walk to Old Town. Only mess is terrible selection of TV programs, but who cares for TV. I didn't try, but it seams that they have nice spa (sauna was for free).
Go there, check the food.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Hanza is a really nice hotel in a decent area and very well priced. short walk from the central bus station through the bustling and amazing central market. Breakfast is a buffet and pretty extensive (I was on my way through the Baltics and this was the most extensive of 4 places I stopped)

The room was pretty large and very clean. slight however was that me and my girlfriend were provided with a twin rather than a double. To the credit of the staff though they did offer us a change of room the following day (although I had already rearranged the room myself at that point and declined.) More on the staff, they were very helpful in getting us around town, maps, directions and knowledge of the bus routes to hand and all had an excellent command of English. The TV was a wee bit tiny but you're there to see Latvia not the TV, and this is an excellent base to explore the great city.

Room Tip: If you need a double or twin specifically email in advance and they will sort it out for you.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Pros:
Hotel was clean and pleasantly modernized. Staff were friendly, helpful and had excellent English. Food in restaurant was very good. Pub had indoor and outdoor sections that were ideal for each part of the day. Riga is a gorgeous city, highly worth a visit. Lots of outdoor attractions as well as gorgeous historic buildings throughout the old town and surrounding areas. Hanza hotel is a short walk from the huge, spectacular, central market, and just a little further from the old town area which is full of restaurants and night life. Trams and buses all converge on the central market so getting around the city, if you need to go further than walking permits, is easy.

Cons:
Beds in our twin room were very skinny, danger of falling off during the night (my daughter did). A fitness center and / or pool would be a great addition. Some variety in the breakfast would be nice.

Overall:
Liked the location and value of Hanza, loved Riga - don't miss it!

• Stayed August 2013
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Breakfast was great! Room was perfect. As a female traveling alone, it would have been nice for the Hotel to be in a slightly better area. It's about a fifteen minute walk outside of the Old City, near the Market area. The area is safe during the day (and probably at night as well), but I wasn't totally comfortable walking home after 9:00 PM. Overall, a good experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Sheffield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My room was a sweatbox. The sun poured in and the shutters didn't close properly. The near-by church was also illuminated at night and that didn't help. I asked for another room and this one was worse, with the sun shining in directly from mid-afternoon until night. The blinds were so thin and because of the light I couldn't sleep. Also I had a double bed with single bedding, which meant that every time I turned over the bottom sheet went with me and I lay in a crumpled mess. The duvet was as stiff as a board and most unpleasant to be under.
To be fair, I think that a stay here at any time other than summer would be fine. Breakfast was satisfactory and all the staff were so pleasant and helpful.
The thing that most annoyed me was that the receptionist asked me for 30 LVL as some sort of deposit. I offered to pay my bill up-front but she said that she would still need to charge me this 'deposit'. Someone, apparently, had gone off without paying for some extras. I had not expected to have to hand over about £37's worth of lats to be held by reception and to be given back to me as I was on my way to the airport, when I would not longer need them. Really infuriating. The receptionist settled for 45 euros, and it was just lucky that I had emergency euros. I think it ridiculous that a hotel is happy to alienate a customer just for the sake of making sure that it is not out of pocket for a couple of meals or whatever. And I wasn't going to be eating there anyway.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here in Summer.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dubuque, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Our first visit to Riga was great thanks to our stay here. We arrived after an overnight train ride from St. Petersburg and our room were not ready, but the staff made sure we were taken care of prior to having our rooms. Our room was very nice and comfortable, an awesome surprise. The front office staff was great and very helpful...we had lots of questions regarding all the music festivals going on while we were there. Our dinner and breakfast were great and tasty. Overall a great place to stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hanza Hotel? Share your experiences!