“Do Not Stay Here” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 102 Hotels in Riga
Boca Raton, Florida
“Do Not Stay Here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I am a bit of a world traveler (39 countries so far) and I always stay in four star hotels if I can. This was not a four star hotel. It was a three star if you don't count the unrenovated rooms which they try to sell you, which are more like two star. Unfortunately I had pre-paid for four nights, otherwise I would have left after one. The rooms are odd shaped, dark, narrow and small. The decor of the renovated rooms is hideous. I paid extra to switch to a "junior suite" which was nothing of the sort. It was the size of a regular room in a proper four star hotel. The toilet sewage backed up into the bathtub. The plumber came twice, but for the rest of the stay my room smelled like toilet. They said they had only some small, unrenoved rooms to give me. The whole experience basically ruined my trip to Riga, which is a beautiful city. There are so many gorgeous four star hotels in Riga. And for the same price! Don't have your heart broken like I did. Also the breakfast was gross.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Sofia, Grad Sofiya, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The hotel has a perfect location...very clean and tidy..Also all the staff were very helpful and polite... The rooms are quite good but keep in mind some of them don't have windows :/ Still I had a pleasant stay with my friends and strongly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I spended two days (22-23 of july) on the Monte Kristo hotel and it was a really good experience, I arrived before the check-in time because my bus was to early, it was awesome because when I arrived at the hotel at 10:30 my room was already ready and they let me check in before the time (2pm). The room was very clean and the staff very helpfull! The bathroom also had an awesome bathtub and the bed was soooo good :D I'm really glad that I choose this hotel... And I think the biggest problem that I had was because the lights in mty room were not that good, but that was not a big problem because in summer is very light. The hotel is in the center of the city, only 5 minutes away from St. Peter's church.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Stayed here from 30th June - 5th July 2012. All the staff were very friendly. The room was the right size for my stay, very clean and nicely decorated. The bed was comfortable but I did not sleep that well due to inconsiderate other guests who seemed to shout at the top of their voices at all times of the night. Breakfast was very nice. My only complaint was that nearly everything ( including the omlet ) had cucumber in it. I really hate cucumber ! As I was travelling on my own breakfast was a little bit uncomfortable as all the tables for one were positioned where I faced the corner of the room which did leave me feeling like a total outcast. The hotel is idea for walking around the old town of Riga and is nice and handy for the bus station and train station. I would recommend people try using both of these Latvian transport systems as extremely cheap. The boat trip to the coast for 10 Lats ( with a train ride back for 0.8 Lats ) was very good. I ate my evening meals mainly at the Jautra Lapsa ( Funny Fox ) Grecinieku Iela. The food here was very healthy and of good value.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Recently stayed here, 7-9 July 2012. A lovely hotel, clean, well maintained, and very polite and helpful staff. Everything was in good order, an amazing breakfast, more than enough food and variety, being a veggie. A brilliant location, near the bus, train, in the old town, about 2min from everything, Riga being very small. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Monte Kristo? Share your experiences!