“Not impressed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #71 of 102 Hotels in Riga
Norway
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2007

We thought we were staying with a bathroom within ok distance from town, but we were wrong. Shared facilities because of a misunderstanding, and all other rooms booked, so we could not change rooms.
I do not recommend staying here for those wanting to go down town both daytime and then to dine or out having fun in the evening, because this requires taxi expenses for more than you save staying there. The room had no facilities what so ever, a desk table, four single beds and two closets. No minibar, no TV, no nothing. The receptionists knew NO english, so we gave up asking for anything except ordering taxis. Use the taxis that has a meter, the others are charging too much.
There is a small club at the Tomo where you can get drinks only, but if you want food or anything else you need to go somewhere to get it.
It gets a 2 because it is reasonably clean!

• Liked — Reasonably clean
  • Disliked — location and shared facilities.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ttnbabicka, Dmitriy Miheyev- Residential Manager at Conference Hotel Tomo, responded to this review, September 26, 2008
Good Afternoon!
I must apologise I get to writing a response to your email so late. The hotel has a management staff changed and now we are here to look into each and every issue our guests come and came across whilst in the hotel and,of course, to tackle it immediately.
I understand that by misunderstanding you ended up staying in economy class rooms, which, indeed have no facilities as being of the economy standard itself. The rest of the rooms, however, are fitted with TV, minibar, aircondition and other facilities. It is sad we could not offer you another option but it happens in a high season.I fully agree with you that we had some issues with reception team and language skills but let me asssure you this problem has been solved by now. I myself spent a few years abroad working in one of the Leading Hotels of the World and one of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World and am trying to get the best of the experience developed here, in our hotel. Location is not the strongest point of the hotel but provides the best of security and peace.
I might have a chance to see you at our hotel again and will personally attend to your every need.
Kind Regards,
Dmitriy Miheyev

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
Riga, LATVIA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2007

Recently a two star hotel now three by throwing itself into the lucurative convention market. I stayed as a normal mortal and I don't recommened it. If English is your first language then you will run into problems. Sure they have staff who think they can speak English, but it is near hopless.
My room was hot no air - con or fan. Walls are paper thin. I had to share a toilet and bathroom with the whole floor. Half of my floor was working offices and convention room.
The shower defies belief, it gives you 45 seconds then switches off. Press the button for another 45 seconds of joy.
Went to have dinner in the resturant tonight, sorry no can do it was group booked by the conventioners.
If your thinking of coming to Riga for a holiday find a hotel closer to the town centre and less convention orientated.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Treated like second-class citizen
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ttnbabicka, Dmitriy Miheyev- Residential Manager at Conference Hotel Tomo, responded to this review, September 29, 2008
Good Afternoon dear Lani!
My sincere apologies for not being able to thank you for your time spent on highlighting our hotel and some aspects of its operations in your review. I must say I had a plenty of information to work on, analising the mentioned in your review. You are right on saying that the hotel is catering for conferences, however upgrading the star level is merely put down to bringing the service standards up and being able to look after our guests on a higher level. I truly agree that people whos native language is English might have had some difficulties in the past but I am glad to inform you that this issue has been solved. We have got some team members on board now who spent many years in hospitality business abroad and they make sure they train other members in, more so help them to improve their language. I am truly sorry that it caused you so much distress. I am also proud to inform you that all our rooms have been fitted with new air conditioners! You are right on saying that our economy class rooms are located on the same floor as our offices are.The booking of this room has been handled in a different way now and people are fully informed upon their booking of their room description, prices and facilities included. But I could not agree with you more that having a group booking in the restaurant does not relieve us from providing dinner for our guests. Whenever it happens now, we provide a detailed information on that to out guests beforehand and make sure that they get served in the lobby bar area.
I found your comments of great importance to us and all of us are making a great effort to get the best of the service to our guests.
I will be more than happy to look after you if you decide on coming back.
Kind Regards,
Dmitriy Miheyev
Farnborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2007

Stayed here for 4 nights and got a great deal by searching on Travelsupermarket.com. We paid £15 per person per night for a double room including breakfast!
The hotel was very clean, staff efficient and the room was large and had decent sized bathroom (shower was great!). Only drawback was the virtually non-existant sound proofing, so I probably wouldn't recommend this hotel to insomniacs...
We got a taxi from the airport (the only option) and it cost approx £10.
The hotel is a fair way out from the old town/city centre but the trolley buses (no.17) depart every 10 mins from the main road and take approx 15-20 mins (depending on the traffic). All the trolley buses/trams cost 30p and a taxi from the centre to the hotel is about £5-6. It's a great hotel if you're looking for an inexpensive stay and you don't mind being a bit out of town. The downside is that there is virtually nothing around the hotel (except a small supermarket) as it's in a residential area.
We stayed there just before easter weekend and the hotel was very quiet (hence the cheap rate) as it's mainly used by business people. We were the only English tourists there!

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — Location-a bit too far out but easily accessible
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2007

Spent 5 days over new year here and paid about 20 pounds a night including breakfast. The hotel is about 20 minutes away from central station by trolleybus. There is a restaurant over the road (Food good but staff surly), and a little supermarket. Great hotel for the price but have seen it advertised at 40 pounds a night which is not worth it for the location. Great stay but be careful of the price.

Stayed January 2007
keighley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2006

I have just reurned from the Tomo Hotel.This hotel is very nice clean with a 24hr bar snooker room gaming room wifi access minibus .The breakfast offered was fine .The hotel isout of the centre but this was not a problem Buses run every 4 minutes and take between 10 -20 mins into centre cost 20 pence or you can take minibus/taxi 5 pounds.The ecurity of the hotel was excellent cameras in lifts on corridors 24 hr security / reception
All staff were very helpful.
I paid 20 pounds per night for a single room but was given double which was excellent
All in all would definatly reccomend and stay here again
There is little bar across the road and it serves great food very cheap

• Liked — Generally it was difficult to fault anything cleanliness is important
  • Disliked — The location is not ideal but transport is easy to use and frequent
  • Tips/Secrets — use the local bus no.17 Raunes street stop to get into town good fun on way back get no.17 and get off at Kasantres stop
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Conference Hotel Tomo? Share your experiences!