“Great price great staff but....” 4 of 5 stars

Friendly Fun Franks Backpackers Hostel
Novembra Krastmala 29 | Old Riga, Riga, Latvia   |
Ranked #12 of 100 Specialty Lodging in Riga
Falmouth, United Kingdom
“Great price great staff but....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

club 18-30 party house... girls who work there are informative, helpful and friendly. Be aware NOT to leave valuables lying around or they will go missing - use safes, etc. Great place to meet fellow travellers, hook up/get off with someone... if you are after a quiet sleep and a more relaxed stay in Riga I would probably stay else where x x x

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I booked into the 10-bed dorm last minute on a dash down the Baltics and it was a good stay. The beds are comfortable - although my bunk rocked a lot when you moved around, annoying for the person below - there are loads of hot showers and toilets and the kitchen is well supplied and kept spotlessly clean.

A beer on arrival is a nice touch, especially since I'd got the half-price summer deal, and the girls on reception are all lovely. The free breakfast in the morning is filling and generous with a choice of cereals and jams for your toast.

It's firmly a party hostel with a 24-hour bar and attracts a certain sort of crowd who like noisy late nights but the building is big enough to be away from the noise when you want to get some sleep. Plenty of trips and excursions are on offer, tailored to the budget traveller.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I stayed at Franks for 3 nights at the start of June 2012 with four friends (2 guys, 3 girls). We booked a 6 person room but were given a private 9 bed room which was excellent. The shared bathrooms were always spotless and we never had to wait to use the shower or toilet.

On arrival we were given a free beer and were introduced to Riga and what there is to do. We went on the pub crawl hosted by the hostel on the first night and it was so good that we went again on our other two nights as well! The bar at the hostel wa sa great place to meet people, as well as the pub crawl.

The location of Franks is very good - every where is within walking distance. Through the hostel we went shooting and go-karting. Both trips were well organised and we recieved a free beer again at the end!

I would highly recommend this hostel.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Stayed as part of a group of 9 and my word this hostel could not have been better, so cheap to stay there yet the staff were so overly helpful abnd brilliant, nothing was too much, they gave us free beers, ordered us pizzas at 5 in the morning and Vicki, one of the girls from the hostel organised us a shooting and beach trip and came out with us both nights to take us to decent places, a true legend. There is not a single thing I would be able to offer as constructive criticism for this place. epic

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

I stayed here with a group of 6 lads, all in our mid 20's. Upon first impressions you don't quite know what to expect as the hostel is located down a back alley. However, the apprehension soon disappears as you are greeted by the friendly staff and a free welcome beer!!

We were given a group welcome meeting almost immediately including a free guide to the city and an invitation to a pub crawl around Riga that evening. I must stress though that the staff aren't pushy, so if it isn't your kind of thing you won't feel pressured into attending!

The room was clean, spacious and the beds comfortable. Be prepared to climb lots of steep stairs though during your stay (especially when having consumed a few Latvian beers!)

The bar area is particularly good with great views over the river and very reasonable prices (Under £1 for a bottle of Tuborg!). The bar is open 24 hours per day and also has free Internet access (there is free WiFi throughout the hostel).

We also took advantage of the free Soviet tour of Riga - there is a different tour every day at 2pm from the hostel reception. This was very interesting and our tour guide (a member of staff from the hostel) was great.

Overall a superb hostel that I would recommend to anyone travelling in Latvia!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Having just returned from the first part of my stag celebrations I can say for sure that this hostel is one of (if not the) best I have ever stayed in. Over the past couple of years I've noticed that some hostels are really pushing the upper limits on what's achievable at a low cost. FFF's is true to that upward trend.

The staff are absolutely superb, they all helped us out from the moment we arrived with free beers and ample chatter beside their four fully-stocked booze fridges in the 24-hour hostel bar/lounge. We booked excursions through them - bungee and gun shooting - and were accompanied by a member of staff each time. This made the experience much easier and more mindless (in the best possible way) that I could have hoped for.

We were, understandably, on a mission to have fun and this hostel makes sure that happens. Their organised pub crawl/club night is well suited to the guests and they get good numbers joining in so that you meet nice new people all the time.

I was dressed as a woman and as a chicken by my best men and while I'm certain they see this all the time the staff made a good effort to help on the little things, like my makeup.

It's very clean there, and the location is perfect - mere metres from the airport bus stop and only slightly more metres to the beautiful old centre of the old town. We booked room 11 as a private room and that includes one giant double bed that I was given as stag - lucky me! There's an en suite toilet and shower too. Whilst the shower head didn't lock quite right that is the only fault I could find. Not that I was looking.

The security is excellent too with two sets of doors and vigilant staff keeping an eye on everything.

As I left I said to staff member and smiler extraordinaire Katya - 'If I come back to Riga I'll definitely stay here again', and that was as truthful as it is possible to be. Well done guys!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We ended up staying in Fun Friedly Franks as we had a stag do planned for Riga and needed somewhere to crash. This place is perfect for large groups of friends especially if you love socialising and hitting the town. The location was great, right in the heart of the Old Town and only a few minutes walk from everything.

On arrival we were asked to put our bags down before being given a free beer. The staff were lovely and so helpful, they can arrange trips, they do free sightseeing tours and for 10 lats you can do a pub crawl and get 5 free beers and nightclub entry. I would recommend this as it was a great way to meet other like minded groups and have a good party.

The acommodation was basic, but what do you expect for under 10 pounds per night and we were so drunk when it came to sleeping we could have slept on the floor and not noticed.

I loved Riga, we were victim to none of the talked about scams, it seemed safe, even if we were attacked by a drunk Russian... it was all part of the experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Friendly Fun Franks Backpackers Hostel? Share your experiences!