“Nothing fancy but great location, staff, breakfast.” 4 of 5 stars

Old Riga Hotel Vecriga
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gleznotaju 12 / 14, Riga LV-1050, Latvia   |
Ranked #40 of 102 Hotels in Riga
Saint Charles, MO, USA
“Nothing fancy but great location, staff, breakfast.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

The room was large and clean -- not fancy. There were some minor issues -- wifi only in lobby, water accumulated on floor from shower -- but we were there 7 days and were pleased with our hotel choice. Breakfast menu (with the room) included eggs (your choice), toast, yogurt, cheese, meat (ham some days, tongue others) -- enough to make a real lunch unnecessary -- so I had a beer instead of lunch.

We were particularly pleased with the cable "Mezzo" channel which carries classical music performances almost exclusively -- why can't we get this in the US?

On the weekend we were a bit affected by noise from some late-night parties but were warned ahead of time by the staff about the possibility.

Overall, given the chance, we'd go back to Riga and stay in the same hotel -- it was a really nice trip and vacation.

Room Tip: We stayed in their suite -- room 20 I believe.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

The hotel was right in the old town, and convenient for the bus and train stations. The room was nice and clean - not particuarly freshly decorated, but very good for the price. The staff were really nice and helpful.

The wifi didn't work in our room, even though it was close to reception, which was a bit annoying.

While we didn't have any problems with traffic or street noise, as we were facing an inner courtyard, the kitchen staff from the restaurant play incredibly loud music very late at night while they wash up, which is a problem in room 19. This is especially annoying as the hotel emphasises how quiet it is. The first night I couldn't sleep till 2am as I couldn't work out where the noise was coming from. The second night I did and asked someone from the kitchen to turn it down at about midnight which they did immediately. The third night I had to call reception at 4am, as it had woken me up. Again, they switched it off straight away.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Warsaw
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

I looked under the lampshade, found the familiar knob, turned it one notch, two, three, nothing worked. I checked the plug and socket- no indication of a problem. The receptionist came with a fresh bulb, replaced it, still no light. He came back with a lamp from another room that worked. In the morning I discovered the otherwise nice big lamps had not one but two switches, one just under the bulb, the other a rocker switch on the cable, typically hidden out of sight behind the bedside cabinet! Insane really!
Also, the hotel's offering of TV channels was a total disaster - seven in all, none of the international ones such as CNN, Euronews, DW, BBC or anything of the kind, just local fare in local lingo.
But these were really the only downsides I could find, the room was spacious, bathroom large and clean, the location great, a quiet area and helpful stuff, if I ever fancy another weekend in Riga again, I'll come back to this place.
Breakfast OK, too, someone complained about three tiny bits of toast - that's still true, you just need to ask for more instead of complaining here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Budapest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

A friend recommended this hotel. We stayed 2 nights in mid-July. It is exceptionally centrally and silently located, that part of the street is pedestrian.
I booked directly and by email, the staff replied quickly and gave all support. Given that we preferred 2 beds, the staff provided an extra bed in a one double-bed room without charging anything.
There was a possibility for an upgrade, as there was a free better room in that period, Igor thank you very much!
Internet was for free, did not get the signal in the room , but they were going to fix it later I believe.
There was a free-of-charge safe in the room. TV, mini-bar.. The bed was very comfortable, all bed linen, towels were high quality.
All stuff speaks English, Russian.. and are very polite.
The breakfast is an absolute luxury and was included in the price, have not eaten so well even in a 4-star hotel.

Thanks! The best hotel in Riga.
Viktoria

Room Tip: I suppose all rooms have carpet floor, and are all silent. The size varies, nr20 huge I think a high...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

This time on my annual summer trip to Riga I wanted to stay in the old part of the town ('vecriga' in Latvian). The location of this small hotel (only 16 rooms) was perfect, on a quiet small alley yet in the middle of old town and within walking distance from the central station and the bus station. Also an excellent shopping center (Galerija Centrs) was only two blocks away from the hotel. The staff was friendly and the hotel was clean but I was disappointed by two things. First of all, my room: a very small, even narrow 'economy double room' on the second floor. I couldn't imagine staying in a room so tiny with another person. The room had a skylight window with a sort of a diffusing glass, but no curtain or shades whatsoever. I was told by the receptionist that a cloth could be taped over the window...When it was light outside, it was light inside. Perhaps the fact that made sleeping even more difficult was that the room had no air conditioning, nor the ceiling fan mentioned in the hotel description, but a smaller and portable fan on the floor instead. It was really hot in the city during my visit and despite having the electric fan turned on all the time you can just imagine the temperature in an upper floor room. I must have taken 4 of 5 cold showers each day. I'm sure they have larger and better equipped rooms in the hotel but I guess that's the room you get if you're a single traveler not willing to pay extra. I do hope they didn't put Dalai Lama in the same room when he was staying in the hotel!
Another problem was the breakfast which was served in a nice patio. I was expecting a buffet but got served a 'continental' breakfast with coffee/tea, an egg, ham, cheese, a glass of water, some yogurt and 3 ridiculously small pieces of toast. Everything else could be bought though but with those prices I didn't bother.
Sorry, but my experience of the hotel wasn't worth 4 stars this hotel has.

Room Tip: Stay away from room no. 18! They seemed to have rooms with windows facing the patio, not sure if the...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Dorset
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

Well located in centre of old Riga, on a quiet side street. Old buildings that have been brought up to modern standards. Comfortable bedroom but no air conditioning and with temperatures 30+ it was much needed. Breakfast let the hotel down. It was not the usual buffet style but waitress service with a very poor choice and plastic jam etc.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

We decided at the last minute whilst in Lithuania to drive upto Riga for a night, booked this hotel the night before & got a pretty good deal with car space & breakfast included.

Our room was one of the nicest I have stayed in, with wooden floors, a huge window & plenty of space. We also had free wifi. The hotel was right in the middle of old town & very close to everything.

If I had to fault anything it would be the breakfast. They definitely need more variety, some rooms did not include the breakfast& if I had this room, I wouldn't bother with the breakfast in the hotel as you can get cheaper options close by that look a lot more appealing.

If I was returning to Riga I would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Old Riga Hotel Vecriga? Share your experiences!