“Fantastic Art Nouveax Buildings” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 170 things to do in Riga
Pacifica, California
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fantastic Art Nouveax Buildings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Even if you are not into architecture, you will be amazed by the variety of art nouveax buildings in and around Alberta iela. There is so much to see and such a variety of decor on the outsides of the buildings, including entry ways, balconies, roof decorations. I was particularly fond of all the "faces" that decorated the buildings as well as the Egyptian influence. This area is one of the largest in the world that displays the grandeur of art nouveax. Always to be sure to "look up". I believe that there are some embassies located in one of the buildings as well and it is interesting to see the flags of different nations flying outside the buildings.

Visited May 2013

• Polish first
Mackenbach, Germany
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“more then I expected.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have to be honest, when my wife told me she wanted to see this "stuff", I KNEW I was gonna be so bored….Sorry my dear, you were right, it was interesting! It is known for its Art Nouveau apartment buildings, many of them designed by the architect Mikhail Eisenstein. If you're not into that kind of stuff, it may be boring to you, but I grew on me.... and around the corner were a few nice wine places, to take a load off of your feet......

Visited July 2013
Pieksamaki, Finland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“To me The Place to visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I can´t call myself as an expert of architecture, maybe one could say that when I see a nice building I can appreciate it. To me walking Alberta Iela and looking those buildings going from one side of the the street to another and back and so on was awesome experience. Ok some of the facades need cleanig and little or more restauration but the experience is worth taking. i wish I had had a possibility to see them in summer when light would be better. Definitely a place worth vititing.

Visited December 2013
Kentwood, Michigan
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Art Nouveau Architecture”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

The largest collection of Art Nouveau architecture in one place that probably exists on the same street. Although primary examples of the style are found in Brussels, Paris, Barcelona and around the world, there are more of them in Riga than anywhere else. Moreover, even the art books on the style have not included the Riga expression of the style in the past because Latvia was in the Eastern Bloc and therefore not accessible to the Western Press. Fortunately they are still standing in Riga, and should be appreciated by the public with a little insight by local guides as to what they are looking at.

Visited September 2013
Riga
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Exotic, eerie architectural fantasy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Even for those uninterested in architecture, this street produces varying sensations depending on the light, the season, the weather and one's own mood. I have walked its length countless times on the way to my workbase at the Riga Graduate School of Law (on the corner of Alberta Street and Strelnieku Street) and its neighbour/sister institution, the Stockholm School of Economics in Riga in Strelnieku Street, which together present possibly the most photogenic combination of facades in Riga. A source of continual pleasure for me lies in observing as internal and external work brings Alberta Street's buildings slowly back to life after long years of indifference and neglect. Do visit the cafe/restaurant on the corner of Alberta/Strelnieku + "Alberta Pipes", the tobacco, pipe and curiosity shop, also the wine shop/cafe and fur coat shop in Strelnieku.

Visited December 2013