“Hotel Irina” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Irina

Hotel Irina
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Merkela str. 12, Riga 1050, Latvia (Formerly "Hotel Saulite")   |
Ranked #63 of 103 Hotels in Riga
Mansfield, Ohio
“Hotel Irina”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

Hotel Irina is a simple, functional budget hotel. They offer basic amenities for a reasonable price. The breakfast that is included with the room is superb. The location is very good, being right down town across from origo and the train station. The city center is only about 2 blocks away. If you are looking for a hotel with alot of ambiance and amenities dont go here. If you need a clean decent place to stay that doesnt cost an arm and a leg this is the place for you.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Finnish first
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

Hotel was clean and tidy, our group complained of the audible crossing outside that was relentless beeping making it impossible for a good nights sleep.

The main thing about Latvia is they never smile and everything is too much trouble. One girl on reception had worked 34 hours! So are you surprised. The service was an embarrassment to hospitality.

I met a Latvian girl on the plane home who also said she hated her own people for being so rude. If you walk through the door English courtesy dictates you look behind you, in Latvia not a hope! Really tired me.

Breakfast was OK.

Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Huddersfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2008

I think that some of the criticisms about this hotel are unfair.My room was fine,breakfast ok. and when I requested an extra pillow, it appeared in my room soon after.My room was cleaned each day with new towels.
I think that some people expect everything and this hotel is reasonably priced.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2008

Hotel situation was excellent for the sights of the City. Rooms were clean and reasonably comfortable. Thankfuly the temperature during our stay was a bit cool so we didn't have to open our window as the noise from the streets outside were very well insulated by the double glazing. The breakfast was a bit too russian for our liking. The two biggest problems during our stay were that the site we booked on stated that the hotel had an indoor pool - IT DOES NOT !! and secondly the staff were most unhelpful. I asked the blond receptionist to make a phonecall on our behalf to book a tour we were interested in the next day. She point blank refused to do this for me and was told to do it myself !!

• Liked — Situation
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

I had a one night stopover in Riga and needed somewhere cheap and central. In these respects the Hotel Irina was perfect.

It's situated right beside the train station and also close to where the airport bus (number 22, public bus) drops off at the Stockmann Centre/Forum Cinema. I was travelling alone and wasn't looking for anything special, just to be close to the station to get my train the next day and to be close to airport bus.

I paid about 40 lats for a small single room. It was basic but clean. Small single bed, TV with international channels, adequate bathroom, hairdryer. Breakfast was included in the price but I slept in. It's a Russian hotel so don't expect it to be super friendly but it is adequate. You can also leave your luggage in for the day but you're charged 1 lat. If you are planning a train, probably best to leave your luggage at the left luggage in train station where it also costs 1 lat.

This place is a good alternative to a youth hostel if you don't fancy sharing a room. It's cheap, basic, nothing special but does the job. Would recommend it for these reasons but if I was coming back to Riga with a friend/partner would stay somewhere a bit nicer, like the Hotel Elizabetes on Elizabetes Iela.

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — Room size (tiny)
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2008

I truly wish I could find a single nice thing to say about this hotel (then going by the name Saulite, I can see why they might change it) I guess there was the location which made it convenient for getting out! They raised the price of my room after I stayed there and did not clean the room, which was filthy. It was noisy, unsafe, overpriced for what it was and I dearly wish I could have found somewhere else. A friend had recommended it to me but I can't recommend it to anyone else with a good conscience. This is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed it.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — I suppose the dishonesty of the staff at the desk, matched closely by the filth.
  • Stayed July 2004
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2008

1. The location was good. Essentially across the street from the train station, and a couple of blocks from the bus station. It was in the “newer” part of town, yet just a few blocks from the old town. The train station had a lot of stores and restaurants, and across the street from the train station, towards the bus station, was a large store/entertainment complex.
2. The hotel was older, but nicely renovated. There was a tiny exchange booth in the small lobby (average rates).
3. My room was small, but was comfortable and clean. The furnishings were a mixture of IKEA-type pieces and older pieces. The bathroom had been renovated and was very clean. My room was in the back and was quiet.
4. Staff was fine.
5. The price was very reasonable and included a very simple breakfast buffet.

• Stayed June 2007