“Lacking a bit of refurbishment” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   K. Valdermara Iela 23, Riga 1010, Latvia   |
Ranked #16 of 102 Hotels in Riga
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Espoo, Finland
“Lacking a bit of refurbishment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Valdemars has a lovely history about family returning back to country after Soviet Union collapsed and getting back their old property. The entrance in inner court is nice and welcoming. I love the automatic door as it is very convenient, when you arrive with your hands full with luggage (there is no bellboy, so you do the carrying by yourself, but I am fine with it). In entrance they have a glass veranda with some chairs, table and bookshelves with lot of books to be freely borrowed :-). Reception lady was nice and checking in went quickly. However, she did not tell anything about hotel services (=afternoon tea, free evening snack etc). The room was nice and clean with wooden floor, but no minibar or kettle. Only 2 bottles of water for sale with quite a high price. The bathroom needs definitely lot of refurbishment as it had a bad smell, lot of mold in the corners and by floor drain. Also the faucet did not work properly and it didn't have any thermostat - I would never let a small child to take shower on his own as the temperature of water was changing all the time & it was really easy to accidentally turn it to hottest possible. I didn't try afternoon tea or evening snack, but breakfast was ok. I would recommend this hotel especially for adult groups and budget travelers.

Room Tip: My room did not have A/C and when keeping the window open to inner court, you could hear lot of nois...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Helen H, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Elise H,
Thank you for writing a review of Valdemar hotel on tripadvisor. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you toke part of the dramatic history of hotel Valdemars. I want to apologize for us missing out on informing you in regards of the opening hours of our restaurant and our free services such as the breakfast, afternoons snack, evening meal, access to free coffee, tea and fruits around the clock. I am also glad to announce that we are in the starting process of renovating our baths, it’s a long process but we are finally starting it. I hope you will have the possibilty to come back and see them.
Helen – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Malta Europe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We enjoyed our stay in this hotel. Room was clean and food great. We where given a room without ac . Temperature was unbearably hot so we complained and room was changed . Complimentary dinner was fantastic. The only minus in this hotel was the parking. Hotel is on a ver busy main road and due to traffic we missed it twice. Had to park in a side street and asked reception for hotel parking to which they answered that it cost circa Euro 12 daily, in a parking lot at the back of hotel. We found a parking lot which was closer to hotel and cheaper., about Euro 6 daily.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with ac if traveling in summer!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Helen H, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Blustatos,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to write a review of our hotel.

I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we easily changed room for you due to the heat. It has been a wonderful and warm summer here in Riga this year.

It is hard to reach the hotel as we are located on a busy street, the best way is by turning right into Elizabeth iela, then left into Baznicas iela and there after left onto Lacplesa iela. This will take you onto K. Valdemar iela and the hotel will be coming up on your right hand is so that you easily can turn into the hotel.

In regard of parking there are several options around the hotel. The parking the hotel recommends is 12 euro per day and has 24 hours security. The parking you chose is cheaper but doesn't have any security.

Helen - General Manager
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

First, on the plusside; a good location, low price, good towels and a nice bed.

We arrived early, and where mer by a rather uninterested receptionist. He seemed almost anoid when he had to walk all the way to the bar to serve us the two glasses of wine we wanted whilst waiting for our rooms.

The room was of good size, but needs updating. A decent bathroom, but a dripping and rusty pipe made it look bad. The shower kept changing from hot to cold to hotter and colder, so no way of having a nice long shower.

WiFi is free, and good when working. Only problem it kept dissapearing.

Extra meals is of course a plus for a budget traveler, but eating in Riga is cheap, so you should support the city tourism by eating other places.

All in all, its a three star hotel, nothing more nothing less. Not comparable to clarion hotels in Norway.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear mr Lofote,
First of all I want to thank you for taking your time to evaluate our hotel.
I want to start out by apologies for the welcoming you received it doesn't sound like the kind of welcoming we normally give our guests. I will of course address this to the front desk staff.

I am pleased to read that you were pleased with the size of your room. We are currently looking over all of rooms to register what needs to be done in each room, it's a long process but important to keep up the standard of the hotel.

Mr Lofote I wish you a very warm welcome back next summer, please let me know in advance and I will make sure you get a room living up to your expectations.

Helen - General Manager
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Rooms were quite small and very very simple. The shower was small and there was no plug in the bathroom for the hair dryer. However, the service was excellent - we received complimentary drinks, great recomendations for restaurants, and a fan for our room. Everyone who worked there was very curteous. Additionally, I should mention that breakfast, dinner and afternoon and evening snacks are included in the price of stay. So although the rooms were very bare, it is actually a great value for the money. Finally, great location - right outside the old town and next to a park.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Helen H, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Natalia M,
Thank you very much for staying with us and I was pleased to read that your overall experience was very positive. Just if you are considering coming back to stay with us again, there is a plug for the hairdryer in the bathroom. Its located right next to light above the bathroom mirror.
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Having stayed in the old town hotels as well as a couple of Radisson Blu's in Riga in the past I decided to go for Hotel Valdemars this time. It's not too far away from the old town nor the railway station (a 10-15 min walk). If you fly to Riga, you can easily reach the hotel by taking the bus no. 22 from the airport and change to a trolleybus no. 25 at Skolna Iela (just before the great bridge). Convenient & cheap.
The lovely lady at the reception was very helpful from the very beginning. I checked in at noon but luckily my room was already available. Early check in wasn't a problem for the receptionist. She also helped me to find a bike rental office.
Serving a complimentary dinner each night is a lovely idea. However, based on 2 nights of experience, the food served just wasn't very good. In fact, the warm meal (chicken & pork) was simply tasteless. Fortunately there were various salads and steamed vegetables in the buffet as well. Riga has plenty of good and reasonably priced restaurants to choose from if you don't find the hotel dinner attractive enough.
There's also a very nice complimentary afternoon coffee/tea with cakes. The breakfast was ok, nothing out of the ordinary, though. The breakfast room is very small, so be prepared to wait for a seat (or you can eat outside at a lovely terrace) if travelling during the high season.
The hotel room some would call scandinavian, for me it was just way too plain and worn out. There's a very small flat screen tv and no fridge/minibar in the room; ok, a minibar is something you can live without, but air conditioning certainly isn't. According to the staff, there was a "technical problem" and the air conditioning did not work at all during my stay. WIth the outside daily temperature as high as +26 C you can imagine how hot it was inside the room, day and night.
To sum up - I was defintely expecting more, based on the earlier Tripadvisor reviews. I paid about 80 €/night and do feel I've been to better hotels in Riga for that price. Oh, and please consider renting a bike and riding around the city and to Jurmala. Loved it!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms NOT facing the K.Valdemara Iela.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear HaroldTheBarrel,
It sounds like you have made quite a few trips to Riga and knows the city inside out. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed the service provided in the hotel. Unfortunately we did have technical issues with our air conditioning the weekend that you were here, but it is now up an running again.
Belluno, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Wow ... what a surprise ! I have been really many times to Riga but I had never stayed at this hotel. Really a nice experience from every point of view : I might say the stay is anything like being at home. Anyway I found a very attactive rate ... ( 75 euro all included ). First of all the staff is very friendly, very helpful and ... they SMILE ( not so common in the Baltics ! ). The room simple but very comfortable : everything working properly. The buffet breakfast offers organic alternatives. In addition to that the rate includes complimentary afternoon tea/coffee with homebaked cake or waffles, evening meal, free use of the relaxation area ( Jacuzzi, Turkish bath and Gym ) and free wireless internet allover the hotel. Even the buffet dinner was beyond expectations : a nice selection of cheeses, fresh vegetables, pickles, hot soup, meat and ... incredible dessert : a sort of tasty whipped cream with fresh strawberry topping, mint leaves and blackberries followed by a coffee. Complimentary still water ... the only thing you are asked to pay are alcoholic drinks ! The hotel is located in a rather convenient downtown location too. Just give a try next time you'll visit Riga.

Room Tip: Better not to choose the rooms facing the main road ( even if I slept in such a room and the sound i...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Alerock,
Thank you for taking the time to post your experience on Tripadvisor. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.
I understand that you have truly enjoyed the hotels facilities and the Clarion Collection concept. I personally think it is a great concept when traveling.
Me and my team wish you a very warm welcome back anytime.
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The hotel is close to major city attractions, restaurants, museums... All services are very good. Good breakfast, free dinner and waffles in the afternoon. Rooms are comfortable and clean. I recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Helen H, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Didier P,
Thanks for your short and positive review. You managed to catch all the important details of your stay in just four sentences.
Kind regards, Helen

Been to Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars? Share your experiences!