“For this price you can find better!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Krisjanis & Gertrude

You added Krisjanis & Gertrude to your Saves list
Krisjanis & Gertrude
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Krisjana Barona iela 39, Riga LV-1011, Latvia   |
Ranked #7 of 53 Riga B&B and Inns
Helsinki, Finland
“For this price you can find better!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

The hotel is close to the old city and city center. The staff is really friendly and the young girl who attended me spoke good English. The hotel was clean and the bed was quite good. It is a an old wooden house, refurbished, that shakes every time the tram passes by. The walls are thin so you can clearly hear what is happening in the next room. For this price I have found better places to stay in Riga...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
kg_info, Owner at Krisjanis & Gertrude, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
We sincerely apologize that you were disturbed by people in the next room, and we shall certainly look at the possibility of improving the sound insulation when we next refurbish. It is however not a general problem. The shaking sometimes when a tram passes is unfortunate, but is because the house, being an early 19th century construction does not have very deep foundations.

We disagree however, that one can find better for the price in Riga. With the level of service, the homeliness, and proximity to the centre you will not find at a substantially lower price. It is rather unfortunate that this phrase has been taken as the title of your review and thus attracts attention, especially as most of your other comments were either positive or about matters beyond our control. On the subject of price, it always is disconcerting for us as owners of such a wonderful property in Riga to travel on business to other countries such as UK, US, or Germany and have to pay double, often triple the amount that we can charge our own guests in Riga. The standard abroad is often significantly lower even at the higher price.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights, and am so glad I chose this place. It really is a home away from home. I was given a 3-person room,which was very comfortable. It was cleaned and serviced daily. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The location is great-an easy 15-minute stroll from the Old Town (or 2 tram stops). There is a supermarket opposite, and I could sue the fridge to store some things. Great value for money. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone travelling to Riga!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your kind words. To quote John Dowland "Come again!"
norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

This must be the best value for money in Riga. I come to Riga every 2 months and have stayed in lots of hotels which have been OK but nothing special. I tried this place last time and it is better than many hotels 3 times the price. I am wriitng this review from my second stay. The staff are warm with their welcome. They are attentive. On the first day of my stay there was no English breakfast tea but by the time I returned to my room later there was some in there and a whole box in the kitchen. Such touches are much appreciated. The rooms are comfortable and have tea and coffee making facilities which is unheard of in Riga. There is a little kitchen where breakfast is made and you can use the facilities during the day. If you want the anonominity of a big hotel then this cosy homely place is not for you. I will certainly be back.

Be aware though that the rooms are on the first and second floor with no lift.

Room Tip: All the rooms overlook the street which can be a bit noisy but the double glazing helps enormously i...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

Pros: excellent price, very large room, computer for guests, good location, decent breakfast

Cons: decor is dated and a little ragged. I don't care too much about the looks as long as it is clean and comfortable but things like torn and stained carpet are a negative. Place could be great with some new paint, flooring and textiles.

Overall it was good for the price. If you want simple and affordable then consider staying here.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

What a wonderful little place. Solvita and Inara (and the rest of the gracious staff) run a lovely little B&B. It is not a fancy place with marble and gold -- just a modest townhouse with everyday furnishings. You will not have wood floors or fancy carpeting, but all is comfortable.

The location is good and you can walk to most tourist sights. Inside, there is a cozy common area with a piano and a kitchen off to the side where you can prepare simple meals if you wish. A mall with a decent supermarket is just across the street. You can avail yourself of free coffee and tea all day. A phone and a computer are at your disposal if you need to surf/email or make local calls.

But what really stands out is the excellent customer service. Because we were traveling with two young children, they upgraded us to the very spacious triple rooms. After breakfast the first morning, Solvita made nice suggestions for family outings and recommended places to dine without my asking her to do so. And when our daughter spoiled her shirt at breakfast one morning, Inara offered to throw the clothes into the wash. Really thoughtful.

Finally, we extended our stay the last minute but then had to leave that afternoon because of lack of availability on a bus. We were astounded to hear at 4PM that the hotel would give the afternoon free because they had had no other booking so there was no opportunity cost.

Also, our young son broke an inexpensive window-treatment accessory and we fully expected to pay for replacing it. We even pointed out the damage. But we realized after check out that they had charged us nothing. Really admirable and generous in every way.

A few things some might wish to know: the windows at the hotel are VERY good and you won't hear much unless you are very sensitive to noise. But you will feel the vibration from the trams once in a while during the day when they operate. And while the single beds were extremely comfortable, I was able to detect the coils through the double mattresses with my hand. But fortunately, I was not able to discern them while sleeping/lying in bed. And as the place is a small B&B, there is no lift/elevator to the third floor where the rooms are.

All in all, one of the two most gracious and generous hotels I have been to in over 30+ countries. I HIGHLY recommend it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

I arrived in the place at 6 AM. The front door was open so I entered and went to the 2nd floor, where the reception is located. Of course, no one was there in the reception, although they previously asked me by mail at what time I would be arriving so they could be prepared. I got there earlier than expected, so that's why nobody was there. At 7:30, a lady came and the first thing she did was to offer me a cup of coffee. She apologized as my room wouldn't be ready until noon, since I was checking in that day. But when she realized how tired I was (as I had travelled all the night) , she offered a little private room (probably for the staff) where I could rest until my room was prepared. Of course I accepted and slept there until 11 AM. When I got up, she told me that my room was ready and she offered to have breakfast. I had only reserved for one night but I got almost two nights. I was given a big room with a very high quality queen size bed. Although the place is just a B&B, it's much better that many hotels 3 and even 4 stars I've been.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
München
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

We found this place on our first morning in Riga purely by chance after discovering that where we had booked in advance was not what we expected. Krisjanis and Gertrude was half the price, and with such a pleasant atmosphere. One lady was able to answer any question we had in German, and another spoke English like a real Lady. They gave us some good tips about concerts and where to find the art galeries. I only wish that they had a name that was easier to remember, so I can book there next time.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Krisjanis & Gertrude? Share your experiences!