“Good value for money!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 102 Hotels in Riga
Newark upon Trent, null, United Kingdom
“Good value for money!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Spotless clean, comfortable room, walk in shower, 5 stars restaurant in the old town. Very friendly and helpfully staff ( especialy Ejvghenis at reception and Anna in the restaurant ). The food was just fantastic, regards to the chef! Thank you for the pleasant time!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Turkish first
brenhell@aol.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

You couldn't wish for a hotel better located for the old town bars, restaurants and museums than this. The hotel looks new and is kept immaculately clean including the rooms and communal areas. Didn't try the restaurant but breakfast had a good range of hot and cold food and the breakfast room looked out onto the square. I couldn't fault the staff who were all very helpful and efficient. If I wanted to be picky, we did find the room could be a bit stuffy and getting out of the bath involved navigating a minor obstacle course- saying that the room had plenty of space with good lighting. Was really pleased we only paid €236 for 4 nights which we thought was excellent value.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor room if worried about the late night noise.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2015

The hotel has some fantastic pluses. Extremely clean and well presented throughout, which very much impressed us. The staff were very welcoming, friendly and were only too pleased to help us. Always a smile and a happy outlook (in fact one member of staff remembered it was our Honeymoon and asked us how it was going)...making us feel special.

The room (an Executive Double), was furnished on the basic side BUT, the bed and bathroom was very good (which is the most important part in our view). Again, all extremely clean and in good condition. The AC was a little noisy when running but was able to cool and heat the room in very quick time. A note, hot drink making in the room would have been nice...we are English after all!

Breakfast was, as I would put it...nice. Buffet style (which does not always suit everyone)...but for us allows us to pick and choose without having something on our plate we did not want or feel unable to eat. Lots to choose from and all very healthy. Furthermore, the wonderful lady who supervised the breakfast was extremely welcoming and even ensured we took some fruit away with us! :-)

The dining in the basement looked good (excellent menu) but my wife was not keen on the decor and felt uncomfortable with the 'dungeon like' surroundings...thus on entering, we left quickly. This does not in anyway reflect poorly on either the staff or food; just personal taste.

Service from the desk was excellent and very helpful. The final 'excellent' came when, upon ordering a taxi, the desk called for an 'owned' car to drive us to the airport. This was of the same price as a 'green cab' and was very luxurious (black merc).

All in all, a very happy and relaxing stay.

BTW, I didn't mention the free one hour use of the PRIVATE spar each day...clean, private, well attired and very nice! We would go back.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2015

Stayed two nights in this, nice looking, and perfect location, hotel. The rooms were very nice. I had an executive corner room, 409, which was nice, but...!!! The sound proof from the large windows was very poor, meaning that the windows facing the square were absolutely awful. All noise from the square was clearly heard in the room and it kept you awake until early hours in the morning. The numerous bars had drunk people screaming all the time. If the hotel is a 5 star hotel, as they claim, there should be sound proof windows for sure. The bathroom was a little worn down, but the overall look of the large room was nice.
The staff tried their best to serve you well, no complaints.
Another surprising fact was that the breakfast was very modest. Again a 5 star hotel should have much wider selection in breakfast.
Overall would rate the hotel a good 3+ hotel. The price was very good, only 70 EUR for a large room, but before the hotel will fix the window problem, I will doubt going back.

Room Tip: If possible please try to avoid rooms facing the square.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Isle of Man
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2015

Highly recommended - great location for exploring the old town. Lovely rooms, friendly helpful staff, free wifi, I was on a business trip and also found the location handy for getting to my various appointments around the city.

Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
toon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2015 via mobile

our short trip to Riga started with a very late check in ( 2am )
Our standard room was more than adequate Bathroom was nice and clean Breakfast was really nice with good food and welcoming staff
We liked and used the private spa and sauna room two nights and the bar for hot drinks etc
The staff arranged our airport transfers and helped me straight away when I had a problem with room safe
Overall I was very impressed and only downside I notice was a little noise from square one night but the location of this hotel was perfect for anyone visiting Riga

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2015

Pros: location (fantastic), spacious room (see notes under cons), breakfast, cleanliness, personal spa, turn down service

Cons: noise from the square (surreal and constant all night), cheap outdated furniture, front desk personnel (see notes below), pictures don't match the rooms

I had an executive room reserved.

They tried putting me in a very tiny room and when I asked if this was an executive room and they said yes. I pulled out my computer, showed them pictures of the executive rooms and they said they could see what they could do. What? I paid for an executive room and that is what I expected. They moved me to the one that was pictured but don't be fooled by the pics of the bathroom. I could hardly fit and I am a very small guy.

They did advise me that there is noise from the square. I was amazed how right they were but since I have noise cancelling headphones I used those during my stay.

Breakfast was good but don't expect service. The employees are on their phones instead of helping guests. It is what it is.

The spa needs to be reserved at least an hour ahead of time because it is small and only for 1 or 2 people. I don't think 2 people could fit in the hot tub. The sauna is nice. It is all clean and had the area to myself as that is the way they book it.

Location was fantastic but it was very difficult to find walking from the bus station. There are a lot of things to see and do around the hotel. There are plenty of restaurants/bars at your doorstep.

Overall I would say this is a solid 3-star hotel and I paid a fair amount for the room.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you settle in. They tried giving me a non-executive room which was tiny...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled solo

Been to Royal Square Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!