“good” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 102 Hotels in Riga
St. Petersburg, Russia
“good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

A nice new hotel in the heart of the Old Town of Riga. Excellent service, tasty food. We arrived to the hotel after 23.00 o'clock and were rather hungry, the personnel cooked for us at 03.00 AM. Food was tasty and fresh. We really recommend this hotel. Though standard rooms are quite small but we should admit that they are clean. You will have towels, 2 bath robes, shower gels, shampoo and slippers in the room.
A nice place to stay in.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Turkish first
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for a total of four nights with a break in between so, two nights and then two nights again! The first two nights I was upgraded to a suite with two bathrooms (one with a sauna) and a separate bedroom. In a corner room I had windows surrounding me which bought in lovely natural light during the day, and opening up the doors at night bought the buzz of the great night life into the room. This was all fantastic, until it was time to sleep. Luckily, I am a fan of earplugs so I always travel with them. These are totally necessary in this hotel. I don't think I would have slept a wink if I did not have these earplugs. Its a bit of a let down for a hotel that has everything else going for it. Great staff, food, location, decor. So if you're like me and don't mind sleeping with earplugs, you wont have a problem. I did stay in summer, the busiest time, so busy streets were to be expected. I had room service three times and it was always amazing food and great value for money. The staff were extremely polite and helpful, nothing was a drama, even bringing me breakfast at 6am so I could check out early! The second room I stayed in was a standard room, another corner room so I was lucky enough to again have the atmosphere of the streets of Riga flood my room. The live music was a joy to listen to as I sat in the sun and read a book. This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I found the atmosphere of being at the Royal Hotel fabulous. Its not where you would go for a relaxing get away, but definitely the place to go to soak in all that Riga has to offer.

Room Tip: Maybe the higher the floor the lesser the noise....
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Helsinki
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

After couple of days of golfing in Riga I stayed in RSH&S for two nights.
Welcoming at reception was excellent even I arrived early in the morning. My room was not ready (I didn't expected that at 8 am), but they took care of my luggage at the back-office.
Room was very excellent with VERY large bathroom.
Breakfast was very boutique-hotel-like and I liked it. But sunday morning, when I was leaving to the airport (I ordered taxi to get me to airport at 8.15 am) I went for quick breakfast at 8 (it was the informed starting time for breakfast). When I arrived, there was almost nothing to start with - just orange juice etc. Two waitresses did not succeed to arrange almost anything before 8.15 and I had to leave to the airport with "hunger" and disappointment.
However, despite that morning, service overall was very polite and good.
Location is one of the best in Riga.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Prestwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

I've just returned after spending 3nights in the Royal Square Hotel with 8 other ladies and all off us agreed that it was fantastic we go away every year and all think that this is the best hotel we've stayed in. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff from carrying out minor repairs to the rooms to providing single bed in a room with just a double bed and and taking care of a suitecase whose handle had got stuck upright and everything was done very quickly. We ate in the hotel several times and it was always excellent and the bread which you get while you are waitng for your meal is absolutely delicious and baked on the premises. The waitresses couldn't have been nicer especially Laura. One evening we went to a Latvian evening in the Royal Garden which is a sister hotel and it was also very good, they also have a tearoom called the Secret Garden which sells divine cakes 2 cakes and 2 coffee 3 lats 90 which would work out £4.50 - £4.75 which is very good value considering what you pay in M & S tearooms for mass produced cakes. Riga itself is a lovely city beautiful buildings and compact so most places are walkable. I recomend the little train which can tke you around all the narrow streets that the tour bus can't manage. Just one thing get a price for the taxi into Riga from the airport, We had 3 taxi's 2 red and 1 which looked like an ordinary car the 2 red tad taxi's cost 8-9 lats the other one cost 29 lats so be on your guard. Also give yourself plenty of time when you are having a meal as I think that most things must be made to order as you can have quite a wait for your meal which is fine as long as you are awre of it.

Room Tip: dark. Some of our group could hear the music though it didn't bother me.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Basel, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Good but not great. Excellent location, very friendly and helpful staff. However, the rooms look cheap - it's a good 4-star business hotel, not a 5-star luxury, like they advertise. Still, might stay there again, already know not to be disappointed.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Viaggiare

Vatican City, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

I struggle how to be fair about this hotel - the location is perfect, rooms are very nice. But - the reception area is repulsing designed in provincial mafia style - black windows and ceiling, silver columns, round glass lift, and couches on which you only lay down, hence all empty + stuff is made entirely of fragile girls - they try their best and are nice, but the is nobody to help with luggage e.g.

• Stayed July 2011
cheltenham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

Stayed 3 nights at end of May in room 304. Entire hotel spotless. Very helpful reception staff. Room very good size, full height windows all along one wall to the front of the hotel above entrance and lobby. Very comfy bed, very efficient air con, plenty of toiletries replenished daily, evening service of 2 bottles of water and bar of chocolate. Mini bar - reasonable prices. When we discovered there was only one bath robe and pair of slippers,they were very apologetic and another robe and slippers were delivered to our room immediately. 2 armchairs coffee table, work table and another chair. Shower over bath but very good sliding double shower screens, good water pressure. Bar prices very reasonable (except single malts), lovely staff. We had no complaints about breakfast, fresh fruit, cereals, pastries, juices, selection of meats, cheeses and salads, fantastic scrambled egg and various other hot choices, very strong hot coffee. Small heated outside terrace - very hot during our stay but in the evenings the staff always asked if you wanted the heater on or blankets. Did not use the dining room but the food looked very good. Small jacquzi and sauna on top floor. Right in the middle of the old town, so everything walkable. City bus tour good but very bumpy because of the cobbled streets. Vast number of retaurants. Take a tip do not dine in the Lido ones. Right outside hotel large square with huge umbrellas good snack food and live music in evenings. City is very clean, no trouble probably due to the fact there are camers everywhere and the police turn up within 1 minute. There are a fair number of beggars but they NEVER cause a problem, they just sit there. Large park areas within city, not very much traffic. There is a little noise usually aroung 5 a.m. when the clubs turn out. We all agreed overall it was one of the nicest cities we have visited and the hotel was perfect, however we had 4 rooms and would not recommend 401 because it has sloping ceilings so best to check.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Royal Square Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!