“I don't understand the high ratings” 2 of 5 stars

Gutenbergs Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Doma laukums 1, Riga LV-1050, Latvia   |
Ranked #40 of 103 Hotels in Riga
Riga, Latvia
“I don't understand the high ratings”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I stayed here for a few nights and I just don't understand the previous reviews or the hotels high rating. It is located in Old Town but Riga is small so you don't have to stay in Old Town. I would say this is an average hotel but has issues.

My first room was a twin room. It was relatively large but so packed with furniture that moving around the beds was difficult. There was a tiny window but no air conditioner. As it was over 25 degrees and only May, the room was hot. Can't imagine mid summer. I asked reception for a fan but they don't have them and they told me to open the window. Gee, why didn't I think of that? I then asked for a room with air conditioning since they do have it. I got moved upstairs. The room is very spacious. The a/c wasn't strong and leaked. I put a glass underneath it but had to empty the glass every 30 min. If I didn't, the cup overflowed and the carpet in the bedroom and hall were soaked. I ended up turning it off and suffering with the just the window, luckily the weather cooled off. I mentioned the issue to the maid but she didnt seem concerned. One note: Old Town is loud in the evening when the bars close so an open window means you need earplugs to sleep - some hotels in Old Town offer them to all guests. Also the walls are thin and I could here my neighbour walking around his room. I could also here him in the bathroom and having sex. Again, earplugs needed. The bathroom was very spacious but could use some shelving. The shower was odd. There was mould. Also, the attachment of the shower to the wall didn't work. The attachment piece was for a different size shower head. Thus I rigged it while using but it kept falling and I had bruises. Breakfast was adequate. I have seen better selection in lower star hotels. But get there early. If you are after 8.30, it is slim pickings and no tables. Overall, when I am back in 2 weeks I am staying elsewhere.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
Riga, Latvia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

The Hotel is situated in a very good location, just in old Riga. The hotel stuff are polite and helpful. The breakfast was tasty.The hotel is cozy and charming. The front desk stuff was very helpful and with good sense of humor.
Most of historical places are very close. Many pubs and restaurants are just around the corner.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

If you are touring the historic center in Riga, you could not ask for a better location. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and the front desk is helpful. If you are looking for a modern 4-star hotel this property is not for you, but we really enjoyed our stay. It has old world charm and everything is in walking distance. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Cambridge England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed here for four nights and were delighted with the hotel (chosen for us as part of a package with Baltic Holidays). The room was spacious and the receptionist very helpful when we asked to move rooms initially based on Trip Advisor reviews about the noise from the bar opposite. She seemed surprised, and there actually seemed very little noise from the bar during our stay, so maybe it is more in the summer that it is a problem. But the room we had (208) was spacious and very comfortable, including heated floor in the bathroom and a bath (which 104 didn't have). The staff were all very helpful about booking restaurants and helping with directions, and location wise it is hard to think of a better place to be so close to everything in the old town. Breakfasts had a good selection of hot and cold food, although an additional or faster toaster would be a good investment. I guess we won't be back in Riga as feel we covered most of it in the four days, but if we did we would certainly happily return to this hotel. The only slightly negative thing was the walls were so thin, we could literally hear every word from the room next door when they were in bed! Possibly this is noise travelling along the wooden beams which run through the rooms...?

Riga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Excellent hotel in the historic center of Riga. Perfect service and hospitality.
A good way to combine business and leisure trip to Riga, medieval Christmas. A delicious meal in a restaurant. Large and quiet rooms.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Very friendly staff , plenty of variety for breakfast good size and clean room , nice and warm in the winter Excellent restaurant especially on Saturday night when there is a live pianist with 20% discount for guests.Well situated. Can be a bit noisy on Friday and Saturday nights due to a night club nearby but it did not bother me only my wife. We would stay there again.

Arnside, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We had a cheap deal from TravelZoo and Baltic holidays, and what a great deal it was. We loved the hotel, the room was large with two windows and a view of The Dome. It is situated right in the heart of the Ole Town with cobbled streets and restaurants and places to visit only a walk away. The staff were very nice and helpful and the hotel was lovely and warm, essential at this time of the year - we visited in February.

I would have liked tea and coffee-making facilities in the room and the room was not ready for us when we arrived at midday or when we came back at 2p. We had another coffee and returned and it was ready, but overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Gutenbergs Hotel? Share your experiences!